Connectivity Issues Update - 1/15

Hime

• L2 Team

Hi all,

We had a brief period where we were hopeful the connectivity issue was resolved, and unfortunately, last night the issues resurfaced.

We are experiencing service interruptions on Lineage II. This is not caused by our servers--our servers are not failing, and are running normally. What's not normal is the amount of illegitimate traffic our servers are experiencing. That traffic is causing high latency, disconnections, and what many of you have already reported-- being unable to connect to our servers.

Our team has been working and will be continue to work on mitigating the illegitimate traffic, and unfortunately, you may continue to experience various effects of this issue. We understand this situation has not been the best, but please know we will be taking next steps to make up for the lost time our players has experienced.

Thank you for bearing with us. We'll post another update as soon as we have more.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
38 minutes ago, Hime said:

Hi all,

We had a brief period where we were hopeful the connectivity issue was resolved, and unfortunately, last night the issues resurfaced.

We are experiencing service interruptions on Lineage II. This is not caused by our servers--our servers are not failing, and are running normally. What's not normal is the amount of illegitimate traffic our servers are experiencing. That traffic is causing high latency, disconnections, and what many of you have already reported-- being unable to connect to our servers.

Our team has been working and will be continue to work on mitigating the illegitimate traffic, and unfortunately, you may continue to experience various effects of this issue. We understand this situation has not been the best, but please know we will be taking next steps to make up for the lost time our players has experienced.

Thank you for bearing with us. We'll post another update as soon as we have more.

As many of us old Lineage 2 players have come to experience life, the bad news given nicely is very welcomed.  Now we know what we are experiencing and we can deal with it.  It is what it is . . . thanks and have a good evening.

38 minutes ago, Hime said:

Hi all,

So you guys going to start doing something about bot programs now?

3 minutes ago, Spolier said:

Doubtful, a lot of high level bots on TI and giran servers. 

When people can create 100s of accounts in one day to bot it's quite hard to get them all.

They are doing something and if you want to argue if it's sufficient or not then feel free. Just don't pretend they aren't doing anything.

EDIT : Based on personal experience I doubt the average player's ability to even correctly identify a bot. It's basically a common event everytime I run past players for one of them to start yelling in caps something like "BOT REPORT!!!". For a month straight I was doing at least one captcha  a day.

1 minute ago, Tool_of_Society said:

When people can create 100s of accounts in one day to bot it's quite hard to get them all.

They are doing something and if you want to argue if it's sufficient or not then feel free. Just don't pretend they aren't doing anything.

It's obviously not sufficient.  But perhaps that is inevitable so long as the game is free to play.  They'd have to have software that looked on your computer and detected the third party software directly.  That might even be an invasion of privacy.  Choose the free to play model and this is what you get.

4 minutes ago, Tool_of_Society said:

EDIT : Based on personal experience I doubt the average player's ability to even correctly identify a bot. It's basically a common event everytime I run past players for one of them to start yelling in caps something like "BOT REPORT!!!". For a month straight I was doing at least one captcha  a day.

Who cares about low level adena bots, when high level bots are in top clans? 

1 minute ago, Spolier said:

Who cares about low level adena bots, when high level bots are in top clans? 

This tbh, I've had multiple times where I'm messing up bots and the guy will his bring his main to defend them. So they're not all that worried about getting banned. Even had one idiot bring his high level Necro to PK me and he killed himself on my Shield Deflect and then was too embarrassed to tell me his level :D

7 minutes ago, Lawman said:

It's obviously not sufficient.  But perhaps that is inevitable so long as the game is free to play.  They'd have to have software that looked on your computer and detected the third party software directly.  That might even be an invasion of privacy.  Choose the free to play model and this is what you get.

xigncode 3 does exactly what you asked for.

Botting was every bit as present in the pay to play era. Actually in my experience it was more pervasive as a significant chunk (if not the majority) of the high level players would bot between sieges/pvp. It was sort of a mini game to try to find where the high level "leetsauce" players were botting.

3 minutes ago, Zace said:

This tbh, I've had multiple times where I'm messing up bots and the guy will his bring his main to defend them. So they're not all that worried about getting banned. Even had one idiot bring his high level Necro to PK me and he killed himself on my Shield Deflect and then was too embarrassed to tell me his level :D

Well the main wasn't botting so there's nothing to fear to bring it to kill your characters messing with their income.

4 minutes ago, Tool_of_Society said:

Well the main wasn't botting so there's nothing to fear to bring it to kill your characters messing with their income.

This isn't something people would do if they actually had a legitimate fear of being banned.

8 minutes ago, Zace said:

This isn't something people would do if they actually had a legitimate fear of being banned.

If they didn't have a legitimate fear of being banned they would just be botting their main and not bother with the low level crap.

Showing up to kill you doesn't prove anything. Sure it's evidence there is a connection but that's not enough for a ban by any stretch of the imagination.

They could of been called in by someone else who saw you're red or purple dude running around for example.

3 minutes ago, Tool_of_Society said:

If they didn't have a legitimate fear of being banned they would just be botting their main and not bother with the low level crap.

Showing up to kill you doesn't prove anything. Sure it's evidence there is a connection but that's not enough for a ban by any stretch of the imagination.

Yea exactly, they've always been way too lenient and that's exactly why core/classic is absolutely infested with bots. Don't really see what you're trying to argue here? Just let them bot freely fug it!

Just now, Zace said:

Yea exactly, they've always been way too lenient and that's exactly why core/classic is absolutely infested with bots. Don't really see what you're trying to argue here? Just let them bot freely fug it!

I'm trying to argue that the person is concerned about being banned or he wouldn't be running a low level bot party when he could be doing it with a much higher level bot party and make way more adena/hour. There's also the possibility that he keeps trying to create a high level bot party and they keep getting banned before they make it. Either way enforcement is occurring.

Things are not nearly as simple as you're trying to claim.

Just now, Tool_of_Society said:

I'm trying to argue that the person is concerned about being banned or he wouldn't be running a low level bot party when he could be doing it with a much higher level bot party and make way more adena/hour. There's also the possibility that he keeps trying to create a high level bot party and they keep getting banned before they make it. Either way enforcement is occurring.

Things are not nearly as simple as you're trying to claim.

Actually it's quite simple to solve, just they don't want to spend the money to do it.

1 hour ago, Hime said:

Hi all,

@Hime As others mentioned we appreciate any information you all can give. The question I have is I've only been able to login 1 day in a week. I have a rune, fishing pole, VIP Status wasting away. What your saying is this might not be fixed tomorrow and I could continue to have issues logging in? The answer is to give us an angel cat blessing(s) that lasts 1 hr (30% exp vs my rune 50%)? What if I can't login to receive my angel cat blessing(s)? The final answer is to contact customer support?

7 minutes ago, Zace said:

Actually it's quite simple to solve, just they don't want to spend the money to do it.

That statement shows how ignorant on the subject you are.

Valve has spent a vast amount of money including investing heavily in deep learning in an attempt to stop cheaters and people are still cheating.

Blizzard and every other developer of MMOanything have spent billions attempting to stop bots and cheaters yet people still bot and use hacks in their games.

I haven't played WoW in a long time but when I left gold sellers were using 30 (something around that) level 1 characters floating in air to spell out websites in every major town. Something so blatantly obvious should be easy to destroy right?  I don't know if that still occurs but I do know botters and cheaters are still active in WOW.

Just now, Tool_of_Society said:

That statement shows how ignorant on the subject you are.

Valve has spent a vast amount of money including investing heavily in deep learning in an attempt to stop cheaters and people are still cheating.

Blizzard and every other developer of MMOanything have spent billions attempting to stop bots and cheaters yet people still bot and use hacks in their games.

I haven't played WoW in a long time but when I left gold sellers were using 30 level 1 characters floating in air to spell out websites in every major town. Something so blatantly obvious should be easy to destroy right?  I don't know if that still occurs but I do know botters and cheaters are still active in WOW.

Ok now compare how many people play those games versus L2 Classic :D Cmon bruh you can't be calling people ignorant while making dumb posts like this one.

20 minutes ago, Zace said:

Ok now compare how many people play those games versus L2 Classic :D Cmon bruh you can't be calling people ignorant while making dumb posts like this one.

Actual number playing doesn't matter as the background issues of catching bots/cheats is the same either way. Those with higher numbers of players have it somewhat easier because they have more data to use for their anti-cheat activities. They also have a lot more financial resources and personal to devote to anti-cheat activities

Archived