Silver Rangers in PVP

Hi All,

Looking for some advice from higher level players. I know Phantom Rangers are flavour of the month with fatal counter doing so much damage and HE is more middle of the round with a good balance of everything. Do SR's have a place in PVP late game or would it be better to reroll?

Thanks in advance. 

During the very early days, I played a SR. Assuming this 'classic' server is as accurate as it was when it wasn't 'classic', a very well geared SR could go against any of the other two archers and stand a reasonably good chance at beating either. At that time I had maxed out my dex, and fiddled with my con slightly. I also did everything possible to boost crit rate, crit dmg, and firing speed. I can't remember the specifics, but there were at least four other equally leveled archers of each flavor in our clan and a few in our ally as well and when dueling I usually won more often than lost. (As a side note, I never owned any boss jewels, etc. It was just very good gear that played to the SR's strengths.)

The SR's do have their place as their attack speed and crit rate are their main bread and butter so to speak. But you have to know when to use it and how. The only way to do this is to experiment with them and see if they match your particular play style. I always try to play to the given preset strengths of any character I play, they were designed as such and therefore there must be a reason for them to exist. That means I could also play a SH just as well as my SR. 

The HE's have the ability to sprint in burst speeds and have lots of con, therefore they can carry more and have loads more hp and can take much more dmg. But if you can get the jump on them and land stun shot first, and keep them stunned, it's all down hill for them from there if your attack speed, crit rate, and crit dmg is as high as it can go.

The PR's hit *hard*, but compared to the SR, have a slower attack speed and have the weakest con of all three, so they can't carry as much, can't take as much dmg, and tend to stun easy if you can see them coming. Fatal counter hurts, no doubt about that, but again, speed, speed, speed. Keep them stunned, crit rate and crit dmg them to the ground. Quick hint about fatal counter, when they drop low to the ground like for most of their other shots, like stun and double shot, there is very, and I mean very, little showy effect. It almost looks like they are dropping low to the ground for no reason. Stun shot, double shot, all have nice, bright, showy animations, fatal counter has almost none. 

As a well geared SR, I could strip raid boss aggro from tanks and was repeatedly asked to not use shots at all as well as staggering my attacks, meaning fire for a few seconds and then stop for a few seconds. It didn't matter who or what group I was raiding with, they all asked the same thing. I don't know of any other archer that could do that on my server at the time. I was about level 76+ with a +3 Drac w/focus and an augment stone that increased my crit rate by about 33 points. 

I can't speak for other players as I don't know what their set-ups or experiences were, but I can say with certainty that my little SR tended to surprise the s--- out of them if they didn't already know me. Other players will obviously tell you their own pro's and con's of the SR, this is just my take and experiences.

I'll end this with a final quote from one of my favorite bands, Sabaton, although I have no idea where they got it from.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself, but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

8 hours ago, nabiscocookie said:

During the very early days, I played a SR. Assuming this 'classic' server is as accurate as it was when it wasn't 'classic', a very well geared SR could go against any of the other two archers and stand a reasonably good chance at beating either. At that time I had maxed out my dex, and fiddled with my con slightly. I also did everything possible to boost crit rate, crit dmg, and firing speed. I can't remember the specifics, but there were at least four other equally leveled archers of each flavor in our clan and a few in our ally as well and when dueling I usually won more often than lost. (As a side note, I never owned any boss jewels, etc. It was just very good gear that played to the SR's strengths.)

The SR's do have their place as their attack speed and crit rate are their main bread and butter so to speak. But you have to know when to use it and how. The only way to do this is to experiment with them and see if they match your particular play style. I always try to play to the given preset strengths of any character I play, they were designed as such and therefore there must be a reason for them to exist. That means I could also play a SH just as well as my SR. 

The HE's have the ability to sprint in burst speeds and have lots of con, therefore they can carry more and have loads more hp and can take much more dmg. But if you can get the jump on them and land stun shot first, and keep them stunned, it's all down hill for them from there if your attack speed, crit rate, and crit dmg is as high as it can go.

The PR's hit *hard*, but compared to the SR, have a slower attack speed and have the weakest con of all three, so they can't carry as much, can't take as much dmg, and tend to stun easy if you can see them coming. Fatal counter hurts, no doubt about that, but again, speed, speed, speed. Keep them stunned, crit rate and crit dmg them to the ground. Quick hint about fatal counter, when they drop low to the ground like for most of their other shots, like stun and double shot, there is very, and I mean very, little showy effect. It almost looks like they are dropping low to the ground for no reason. Stun shot, double shot, all have nice, bright, showy animations, fatal counter has almost none. 

As a well geared SR, I could strip raid boss aggro from tanks and was repeatedly asked to not use shots at all as well as staggering my attacks, meaning fire for a few seconds and then stop for a few seconds. It didn't matter who or what group I was raiding with, they all asked the same thing. I don't know of any other archer that could do that on my server at the time. I was about level 76+ with a +3 Drac w/focus and an augment stone that increased my crit rate by about 33 points. 

I can't speak for other players as I don't know what their set-ups or experiences were, but I can say with certainty that my little SR tended to surprise the s--- out of them if they didn't already know me. Other players will obviously tell you their own pro's and con's of the SR, this is just my take and experiences.

I'll end this with a final quote from one of my favorite bands, Sabaton, although I have no idea where they got it from.

"If you know the enemy and know yourself, you need not fear the result of a hundred battles. If you know yourself, but not the enemy, for every victory gained you will also suffer a defeat. If you know neither the enemy nor yourself, you will succumb in every battle."

Thank you for the detailed response mate, much appreciated :). As a side note, do you know what dyes would be best for an SR? +dex - con? any +str? 

If I'm remembering right, I +dex -con for the maximum amount (whatever that was) for the first dye, can't remember what I did exactly for the second dye though. I probably +str but not by much because it took the con down a little too far for my liking, making it easier to stun me, and vs the sheer damage a PR can put out per shot, it wasn't a chance worth taking. Learned that the hard way when one of my clan mates kept putting me in the dirt (minus fatal counter) not long after I got the maximum +str -con dye that was available. Had to remove it and do something else as I was dying too much. 

On 3/20/2019 at 8:00 PM, Joaqo said:

PR is good, but with that CON the Stun always land, and they have low HP

the 3 archers are really good and useful don t worry about PvP

Man what you talk about? What CON, what stun. If you are ~60 lvl and still didn't know that on classic stun is not affected by con... Move mouse over stats in game and check what you get as bonus. 
For oly SR is better than all archers, you will be in permastun due to sr's attack speed. Outside its total crap. PR is above all with fatal counter.

2 hours ago, RickRoss said:

Man what you talk about? What CON, what stun. If you are ~60 lvl and still didn't know that on classic stun is not affected by con... Move mouse over stats in game and check what you get as bonus. 
For oly SR is better than all archers, you will be in permastun due to sr's attack speed. Outside its total crap. PR is above all with fatal counter.

This was a post from our old forums regarding the stats and what they expressly affected, this was posted in 2006 and was pulled from L2's official website from back then. Since then, the game morphed into GoD and they reordered the stats somewhat. So, if the 'classic' servers are accurate to the way they were in 2006, this list would be correct. A test was done by a few people using the EE's buff Shock Resist(ance), to see if that affected the amount that stun would land or not land, it did affect it. It landed less with Shock Resist. Therefore, it would seem that CON does seem to inherently affect anything that could potentially shock/stun a character, including stun shot.   

Ability 
Effect 

STR 
Increases amount of physical damage. 

DEX 
Increases attack speed, physical skill speed, accuracy, evasion, critical hit probability, success rate of dagger skills (such as Deadly Blow), shield defense success rate, and movement speed. 

CON 
Increases maximum HP and CP, HP recovery speed, weight limit, underwater breath gauge, shock resistance, and bleeding resistance. 

INT 
Increases damage of magic attacks and success rate of curse spells. 

WIT 
Increases chance of magic critical hits, casting speed, resistance to Hold, resistance to curses (such as HP degeneration, decreased HP recovery rate, increased skill re-use time, and decreased effect of heals). 

MEN 
Increases magic defense, maximum MP, MP recovery speed, poison resistance, and curse resistance. Decreases probability of magic interruption.

Caveat: If they did not implement this set of stats for classic, and instead kept the 'newer' stats that were introduced in GoD, then this list is meaningless. 

Ok, I searched a little more and found this, it seems they have changed the old 'classic' stats a bit. The ones I listed above were from when I last played 'classic' in 2006.  The list following was posted by Hime Oct 13, 2018:

STR

P. Atk.

DEX

P. Accuracy

P. Evasion

Atk. Spd.

P. Critical Rate

CON

Max HP/CP

HP/CP Recovery

Weight

Underwater Breathing

Shield Def. Success Rate

INT

M. Atk.

WIT

M. Accuracy

M. Evasion

Casting Spd.

M. Def. Rate

M. Critical Rate

MEN

M. Def.

MP Recovery

Max MP

Magic Cancel Rate

Original link: https://www.lineage2.com/news/lineage-ii-classic-launch-patch-notes

My bad...but I like the old stats better :P

Archived