Returning Player - Lots of Questions

St0rmshadow

Feel like a newb, but I have searched on these topics and just cannot find answers so forgive me if the search Gods misled me. I played between 2002 - 2006 (Sieghardt server) and then returned for a couple of months about 6 years ago (?). If I recall all the beginner villages (i.e. Dark Elf Village, Light Elf Village) were just decimated by Shilien and you could fast-track leveling from 1 - 80 or so. When I returned then, many things were still quite familiar. 

However, I just logged in yesterday and things have changed quite a bit. Here are a list of questions I have:

1. What happened to my recipes and mats? I have a lvl 65 Warsmith and he had boatloads of recipes and mats. Yesterday when I opened his recipe book there is nothing. I suspect the removal of mats was intentional, but was the removal of recipes also intentional?
  2. If it is normal my mats and recipes were removed, then how do I craft Blessed Spirit Shot and Soul Shot for A, S and R grade? 
  3. Old skills removed? I noticed about 75% of my toons' skills were grayed out on my bar and unusable. Did an update remove most of the original skills? I have toons ranging from lvl 10 through 90.
  4. How do you make money? The economy has seen insane inflation from my old L2 days. When I kill mobs I gain about 600 adena. How do I earn enough adena to buy anything? The cost just for R Soul and Spirit Shot is insane. My toons also do not have a ton of new armor/accessory pieces and the prices for those items are well above what I have.

I love Lineage 2, but cannot play it like I did back in the day. I cannot commit to raiding or sieging. I cannot commit to logging on at a certain time and certain day. Are there clans/alliances that cater to the PVE - Questing type of gamer? I read about the super cool clan buffs, but cannot play like my old Catalyst (Alliance) and Tempezt (Clan) days. 

Before joining Catalyst, I was also in the ICA alliance and MoT (Masters of Time) alliance for any of the original players still playing. 

Thanks for any responses. 

1. What happened to my recipes and mats? I have a lvl 65 Warsmith and he had boatloads of recipes and mats. Yesterday when I opened his recipe book there is nothing. I suspect the removal of mats was intentional, but was the removal of recipes also intentional?

Last patch 'change' the mats itens and recipes.

1. If it is normal my mats and recipes were removed, then how do I craft Blessed Spirit Shot and Soul Shot for A, S and R grade? 

You will not use soul shot A, and if you creat a new toon you will get soul shot R and recipes to craft shoul shot R and bless shots R.

1. Old skills removed? I noticed about 75% of my toons' skills were grayed out on my bar and unusable. Did an update remove most of the original skills? I have toons ranging from lvl 10 through 90.

Yes. They delete a lot of 'old skills'.

1. How do you make money? The economy has seen insane inflation from my old L2 days. When I kill mobs I gain about 600 adena. How do I earn enough adena to buy anything? The cost just for R Soul and Spirit Shot is insane. My toons also do not have a ton of new armor/accessory pieces and the prices for those items are well above what I have.

Well you can farm 'good adena' only if you have spend a lot of real money on the game (to kill fast and high level places).

What I recommend? Build a new toon. And if you are a real l2 'crazy' like me... You will need spend some money... Just a lil to get a 'bost'. You will not 'get to the top players'... You will need like A LOT OF MONEY. LIKE A HOUSE/SPORT CAR MONEY.

Just start new toons you will get to level 100 in about a day.. follow the quest progression till 105 you will get all the free gear along the way that you will need... at 105 you can then decide if you want to spend what it takes to go further.

• Thanks 1

Thank you for the replies. I will do the quick grind on a new toon for the free gear and recipes, but I am keeping my two Main characters. Too many hours, nights and days into those for me to work just a new toon. The poor lvl 65 dwarf will not get much action, but my 90 ISS and 85 Feoh will benefit from the new lvl 100+ toon. Thanks again!

15 hours ago, St0rmshadow said:

Thank you for the replies. I will do the quick grind on a new toon for the free gear and recipes, but I am keeping my two Main characters. Too many hours, nights and days into those for me to work just a new toon. The poor lvl 65 dwarf will not get much action, but my 90 ISS and 85 Feoh will benefit from the new lvl 100+ toon. Thanks again!

You'll be better off starting a new character at this point. The gear you get at level 40 is very much needed in your situation.At 95 and 99 there's also goodies from the newbie quests.After that you'll get rather nice free gear when you finish the first and second exalted quests at lv101 and 102.

On 1/29/2020 at 11:16 AM, St0rmshadow said:

I also had a character that I put a lot of efort and sleepless nights into, but I realized that creating a new toon has way more benefits than keeping an old one. Which I did 2 nights ago. From level 1 to 85 you will reach within 40 minutes, give it another day and you will be 100. I've been playing for about 60 hours already and I'm at level 102. Also at level 40 you get R grade items, boosts and some more useful stuff which you will need in order to go forward. So just don't waste your time trying to get ur old toons back on the track, it's totally not worth it, just create a new one and have fun. PM me in game: Snegurochka if you have more questions. Good luck :)

Edited by Essence

In relation to this topic - what is the point of live now? I mean, you get from level 1 to 80 in about 20 minutes, you burn through everything so fast. So if you get to max-ish level in a day... why play? Is there enough progression to keep you going? What I loved about L2 back in the day is the leveling. Being max level wasn't the point.

And if you burn through levels so quickly, what happens with the world? 90% of it doesn't matter at all, or there is stuff around the map for high levels to do. I am really confused by live.

44 minutes ago, PopGligor said:

In relation to this topic - what is the point of live now? I mean, you get from level 1 to 80 in about 20 minutes, you burn through everything so fast. So if you get to max-ish level in a day... why play? Is there enough progression to keep you going? What I loved about L2 back in the day is the leveling. Being max level wasn't the point.

And if you burn through levels so quickly, what happens with the world? 90% of it doesn't matter at all, or there is stuff around the map for high levels to do. I am really confused by live.

You are right my friend. They ruined the game and there is nothing you can do about it. So either you play in p rivate servers or you choose classic.

Edited by Essence

Essence,

I quickly realized the new toon was the way to go. I started deleting a lot of my ALTs to make room for the new toons. I am still keeping my two legacy Mains though, but won't use them as much. Just can't let them go. :)

I also was shocked to discover the new Auto Hunt mode. NC Soft give in and created a ghetto L2 Trainer? Wish they found a happy middle ground between this L2 version and L2 Classic. It seems your choice is grind grind grind or hitting the level cap overnight. Oh well. Still love the game.

• 1 year later...

What’s up St0rm - been a while! :)

I came back when Classic started back up and there were a couple other OG Sieg players, but I quit pretty quickly because, as you mentioned, it’s much harder to keep up now that I have real responsibilities.

I just went back to Classic a couple nights ago because I was bored and it’s definitely easier to level than the original classic. Was able to go from C grade to A grade in a day. 

Like you saw, auto-hunt helps a little with that too. I think it’s been alright and to me it feels more familiar to the L2 we played vs what L2 Live servers are now. There’s still a lot of newer, weird stuff that’s not traditional Classic, but it’s still pretty fun.

Apparently someone transferred the Nonfactorz branch of the clan to one of my alts after I quit live, so I still have a couple toons on live I couldn’t bring myself to delete either, but I’ve pretty much stayed away from there after so much changed.

Anyways, cool to see another sieg player still hanging around. :)

• 4 weeks later...

This use to be the best online game you could play back in 2011.

It has slowly died since then making it in 2021 a waste of time to grind and play now.

They need to go back and look at 2011 and see why the game was so popular back then and reintroduce its game path because as it is in 2021 it is a waste of time to play.

No incentive for players to grind until lvl 105, no drops.

GO BACK TO 2011 AND SEE WHERE YOU WENT WRONG FROM THERE ONWARDS.

What made it great game back then was a hard level cap.  85 was a hard level cap pre-awakening, the best sieges and pvps happened back in 2011 because of that.  Higher end people could beat even amount of people but since their was no level difference pve clans banned together could push back the heros and hold their ground.

Now granted I understand raising level cap but now 120 is the soft level cap but for a regular player to go from 110 to 120 its never going to happen unless they invest some serious money.  I am not saying I did not invest some but $1000's a month, good for really rich people but for a game for a person with a family I couldn't look my family in the face if I was spending paychecks on a game every month.  NCSoft got greedy end of story.