Ranking System is tracking live and it's killing the server!

Shoppy

@Juji Why is the ranking system tracking live again?

I have been checking it for a few days now. And today I had final proof.

I logged in today, got my event buff and set up to do some exp. My Iss was on rank 580. Two hours later after breakfast, shower and doing stuff around the house I checked it again. My rank changed from 580 to 579. My race rank went from 58 to 57. All in the time span of two hours.

This means the server is doing LIVE rank checking again, and not only checking once a day at 06:30 AM server time to see if your rank increased or decreased.

Live rank checking is something not happening on the EU 4game servers (not on English or Russian, also not on Awakening, Classic or Essence). Live rank checking only is happening on Naia, Chronos and the dead Classic servers you trying to merge next week.

Live rank checking been the issue last times when lags were unbearable. Melee classes only hit every third attack, ranged classes are either not casting or bursting with delays of 2-5 seconds in between. It's impossible for a healer to keep up.

I have been saying it for months. I said it last time when server was in this pile of junk state and I will say it again LAG IS CAUSED BY THE RANKING SYSTEM and the Ranking System should be turned off!

Stop claiming you added new hardware, turn off the ranking system and we'll be fine again.

Edited by Shoppy
  • Like 3

lol...

Its probably not helping..

but reality is,

KR devs made mistake in update, pushed it out... noticed it on their side, fixed it.. sent a memo.. 

NCWest didnt bother to translate the memo so our servers are laggin hard.

NCEU/RU servers laggin some.. but their hardware is probably 10x the specs of ours so they dont see it as huge problem..

• Like 1

They turned off the ranking system for like two weeks, the lag continued.

The problem is the server can't keep up with the frequency of kills.. Just go to any of the sub 105 zones and look around. There's millions if not BILLIONS of kills happening every day... What does NCwest do? They nerf the 105+ timed zones and blame it on the dimensional siege reset bug. A bug that most of us thought was a feature for participating in server events..

Edited by TheHaggarDagger

It has nothing to do with kills.

An MMORPG server should be able to be lag free if they server load is at 75% and 25% of the logged in characters are standing in town doing nothings. In the old days, Franz, Teon, Luna never lagged this hard when load were heavy. And back then the server didn't go to heavy until 6000 people were logged in, now server goes on heavy status at 2500.

7 hours ago, Shoppy said:

It has nothing to do with kills.

An MMORPG server should be able to be lag free if they server load is at 75% and 25% of the logged in characters are standing in town doing nothings. In the old days, Franz, Teon, Luna never lagged this hard when load were heavy. And back then the server didn't go to heavy until 6000 people were logged in, now server goes on heavy status at 2500.

Server go Normal at 3000 online and Heavy at 5000 online.

15 hours ago, iAndouille said:

Server go Normal at 3000 online and Heavy at 5000 online.

When Juji was on Naia last Thursday he said "server is hitting 3000 online" and server was on heavy at that moment.

Need 1 game server min per actual server..

idiots multiboxing servers and probably got new hardware and set old server aside instead of splitting game server to indepenant servers... as seen crash on 3/9, classic servers all up both live servers down.

I just returned two weeks ago, so I don't have informed insight on this issue, but the lag has been horrendous at times, and I've wondered what's causing it. Disconnects are bad, as well. I have been disconnected a few times while in the middle of something, like sending mail. 

Does anyone remember after the free-to-play transition, there was a system similar to this ranking one, but it showed things like top enchants? IIRC, that was removed for the lag reason as well. I really wish these systems were moved entirely to a different server, and then viewable online instead of in the game. I loved looking at people's top enchants and other fun stats that were available. 

8 hours ago, Shoppy said:

When Juji was on Naia last Thursday he said "server is hitting 3000 online" and server was on heavy at that moment.

it goes on heavy when past 3000 so at 3001 it will show as heavy.. anyways only smart cookies launch a free reward event tied to accounts logged in when dealing with server performance issues that are caused by having to many accounts logged in on the server.. on top of a fake xp boost event and after making it almost mandatory for all DD players to run 12 mentee chars through the game for a free dps earring (atlas)..

we're not even talking about the many afk bots / macro parties that farm still old places like plunderous plains etc. for adena farm lulz..

raw

The server cant go heavy at 3000 online for the simple reason that when you look at party matching there are already "2900"+ active people at every time of the day and the server is always on "Normal" mode except for sieges and weekends.  that 2900+ active on pt matching is not the active only players on the whole servers, so there's always 3000+ online players in the server and still the server is normal and not heavy. 

i still believe heavy is 5000. and Normal 3000.

• 2 weeks later...

@Juji @Hime 

Yes remove live tracking because everytime I finish Coal Mines I climb like 500 to 700 positions on server (Sayha Seer)

Updating 2000+ bots in blazing swamp must put a serious load in the system!

Yesterday at dimensional siege there was no lag, game was running smooth! On live its unplayable!!!

P.S: REMOVE RANKING SYSTEM THIS WEDNESDAY AND LETS SEE HOW IT RUNS!

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, TheThrax said:

Dont be ridiculos, its not ranking...EU have also ranking but no lag/dc.....Its 3(more like 6) clients per PC fault.

Make it 1 week 1 pc 1 account and all latency and dc will be gone.

1 hour ago, Harperz said:

EU has less ppl :S

Exactly. Naia last night was on 3800 people shown in Party Matching. So let's say that is 10x more people online than on EU/Core.

On L2 Essence servers on launch weekend the EU servers were having 2000 people online (equals to Naia/Chronos on 'Light') with ranking system enabled it didn't had a lag at all. But also no Live Tracking. Only an update once a day at 06:30 server time.

Chronos, Naia and whatever our classic servers are called now are updating 24/7 the position and rank of every player on the server.

@TheThrax You say it's a problem caused by people logging 3 chars. No it's not. If everybody would only be able to log 1 char and we would have had 4000 real players on each Naia and Chronos, the lag would be the same. And if that was real, @Juji and @Hime would have already announced they were opening a new Awakening server, because having both servers on Heavy 24/7 because to many players is bad for business.

Even with the queue system enabled the server lags. It has nothing to do with how many connections there exist to the server. The lag comes from within the server. And for months now, I am saying it's the ranking system that is updating data live. While the mechanic only should check every day, once a day, at 06:30 if you ranked up or not, and if you ranked up/down in our out of Top 10 apply or remove the rank buff. Nothing more.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Shoppy said:

@TheThrax You say it's a problem caused by people logging 3 chars. No it's not. If everybody would only be able to log 1 char and we would have had 4000 real players on each Naia and Chronos, the lag would be the same. And if that was real, @Juji and @Hime would have already announced they were opening a new Awakening server, because having both servers on Heavy 24/7 because to many players is bad for business.

yes it is bro, let me ask you a question...not so long ago we had a population on Naia in 1200 ppl range.
Dont be naive to belive 4000 new players came to play on the worst and expensive L2 service provider in the world.
So, if not new ppl what are they? Answer is simply 6 accounts per pc x 2-3 PC=12-18 virtual players.
If they make 1 account/1 pc and give free buffs for 1 week you will understand what im talking about...it will be a downgrade to under 2000 ppl online>>>no latency.

Regarding announcement....well, we will see. Soon TM :D .....3 days before server open its their style.

16 hours ago, TheThrax said:

yes it is bro, let me ask you a question...not so long ago we had a population on Naia in 1200 ppl range.
Dont be naive to belive 4000 new players came to play on the worst and expensive L2 service provider in the world.
So, if not new ppl what are they? Answer is simply 6 accounts per pc x 2-3 PC=12-18 virtual players.
If they make 1 account/1 pc and give free buffs for 1 week you will understand what im talking about...it will be a downgrade to under 2000 ppl online>>>no latency.

Regarding announcement....well, we will see. Soon TM :D .....3 days before server open its their style.

In the past 7 days I've seen 20 clan members that left L2 since August 2019 come back to game. They all seen the auto hunt feature and like it, because it allows them to keep leveling while taking care of work, home and family life. Also the CoViD-19 brings back a lot of people.

Yes, we have a population of 1200, 1200 * 3 is 3600. Which means just with normal population we hit the server number to go into Heavy Status. On top of that you have all the guys from MAX, Hybrid, DH, HoD and all their satalite clans running bot trains to farm adena, mentee marks and what not. Like they ever did.

Even if everybody would log in 300 accounts themselfs, the situation doesn't change. The server still has to update every single exp gained for every character into the ranking system, dragging down the entire server.

I remember Franz, Teon, Luna days. All these servers always on Normal-Heavy. Sometimes during siege weekends so full that you barely could move in town. But the lag was never as crazy as it is now, and server number limits were way higher back than.

If you want to have 1 account per PC. Please leave NCWest/Naia/Chronos and go to 4Game and play on Core. Because so far, all you want is to see less players, and me as a player and clan leader, I want to see as many players as possible. Because more players, means more markets, more parties, more game. And keeping a server population low by design is basically killing a MMORPG.

Edited by Shoppy

9 hours ago, Shoppy said:

If you want to have 1 account per PC. Please leave NCWest/Naia/Chronos and go to 4Game and play on Core. Because so far, all you want is to see less players, and me as a player and clan leader, I want to see as many players as possible. Because more players, means more markets, more parties, more game. And keeping a server population low by design is basically killing a MMORPG.

I agree with you but the key here is players...real players. But you are talking about bots, pardon me, boxes :).
Just moments ago I had a fight in BS with a fellow player who have logged 10 L2 windows...
As a clan leader this is what you want? Give me a truthful answer...

45 minutes ago, TheThrax said:

I agree with you but the key here is players...real players. But you are talking about bots, pardon me, boxes :).
Just moments ago I had a fight in BS with a fellow player who have logged 10 L2 windows...

My members are high enough and smart enough to realize that Blazing Swamp is not the spot where you exp till 105.

Only bots and mentee macro farmers for Atlas Earrings are in Blazing Swamp.

39 minutes ago, TheThrax said:

Clan leaders and clans themselves benefit from what you seem to call bots same as the average player if not more. As far as I'm concerned should ncwest further limit the number of boxes allowed, I would much seriously consider migrating my mmo activities either to another region or another game altogether. And while I am by no means a heavy spender, I am still a paying customer and have been for years, so that would be minus one more for them.

3 hours ago, Dargor said:

Clan leaders and clans themselves benefit from what you seem to call bots same as the average player if not more. As far as I'm concerned should ncwest further limit the number of boxes allowed, I would much seriously consider migrating my mmo activities either to another region or another game altogether. And while I am by no means a heavy spender, I am still a paying customer and have been for years, so that would be minus one more for them.

Box limit reduced to under 3 will kill majority of clans, (constant) parties and general gameplay. Good luck finding a live Iss, Healer or Tank to exp on Hellbound, Enchanted, Tanor or do any daily instance with.

1 hour ago, KissMyKnife said:

you dont know how this list system work?

check player in 1 time, each day in reset time only, its not active all time

Like always you're full of hot air escaping from your bum. When I enter Coal Mines with any chars lv100-104 and keep the Ranking window open and hit refresh every few minutes I see my rank going up every time I hit the refresh button. It does live tracking, all the time, every time.

8 minutes ago, Shoppy said:

Box limit reduced to under 3 will kill majority of clans, (constant) parties and general gameplay. Good luck finding a live Iss, Healer or Tank to exp on Hellbound, Enchanted, Tanor or do any daily instance with.

Not to mention that support alts directly or indirectly generate some income for NCWest. People keep focusing of what f2p users do. Realistically f2p users don't do much of anything in the long run. They'll log alts and try to farm the atlas earring, then get sick of it and either start paying or most likely move on. As for rmt adena farmers, boxing limits never worked and never will.

1 hour ago, Shoppy said:

When I enter Coal Mines with any chars lv100-104 and keep the Ranking window open and hit refresh every few minutes I see my rank going up every time I hit the refresh button. It does live tracking, all the time, every time.

Or it does on-demand calculation every time someone clicks the refresh button... Not saying that it does, but it's not always black or white.