Devianne's Challenge - why does anyone bother?!

consort

since all my alts are low 60's and i grind out each day's 800 mob kills for missions

i figured i'd add Devainne, so i waste about 103K and 10 minutes time per alt

running back to find yet another not too crowded farming spot to cash this in.

is any of this really worth it for a few cookies a drop of xp and some soul ore* ?

honestly the buff you get does no seem to matter to any class in their 60's.

*after 20 cash-in's = all i get are a few 30% xp scrolls, soul ore, or shot tix.

Well, unless you run a bunch of gold farming alts, Devianne's reward structure isn't that inspiring  past the mid 60's. 300K for 45M exp - worth it? That's for everyone to make their own call on. Given that the game during leveling is a never ending tradeoff war between exp and gold, these sorts of tradeoffs are hard to justify in my mind.

One quick way to figure it out - see how long it takes to generate 45M exp. points just through hunting alone. Then, that gives you an idea of what you're paying for if you hand Devianne over your adena. So if 300K only costs you like 15 minutes in time to get the same exp BUT it takes an hour to generate 200K, then Devianne sounds like a really bad deal unless you're swimming in adena. 

The frustration with crowding out is real. 

48 minutes ago, Shalille said:

I look at the 300k as buying 30 Sayha cookies,  nominally sayhas are @50k per, so its 1.5m adena worth of sayhas for 300k if my maths correct.

Well, yes - do you want a short term benefit or a long one? Depends on your preferences. But that's the fun in all this to an extent: it's fleshing out the time-inconsistency problem. But, that is not a bad way to look at it and if you like the benefit, keep doing it. How sustainable it is to play solely from rewards in the game, well...

That light at the end of the tunnel might be a train...;)

13 minutes ago, Get2ThePoint said:

Since I'm going to hunt all day anyway AFK, it's worth it for the buff. But yeah the prizes can always be better, without requiring players to spend their own adena.

I honestly don’t know how long it takes to do this per day because I have my sound off, but I agree the rewards wouldn’t be worth it if I had to be at my computer to do it.

thanks to everyone who weighed in on this topic 🥰

nice to see posters do the economics of an event.

what i ended up doing is - for alts i'm just grinding missions for, i do the devainne 100K

for my main who i continue to farm cruma for subjigation, i do the devainne 300K

the idea is for the side alts i mostly want to keep net adena drops higher than farming costs

for my main, i figure the 4-5 hours of extra farming will benefit from the devainne buff

and i need the extra cookies on that main regarless.

so devainne is not nearly as generous as the daily OLY box, but it's better than nothing.

as others have posted, both plains are insanely crowded,

i really wish NCSoft would just force everyone to manner on

or only give XP - nothing else to those who keep manners off.

players who manner on really need those kills for missions, adena, etc.

and manner off pigs can more than double the time they need to farm adequately.

1 hour ago, consort said:

players who manner on really need those kills for missions, adena, etc.

Manner is a tricky subject especially for melees.  I still use it but it can be very frustrating.

The automation the game provides isnt very smart and you will go ahead and hit the mob even though someones ahead of you, with full knowledge that your about to pay your dmg and SS costs to his mob ,  after which you will stop and move on, so you just wasted SS helping them kill their mob due to your manners.

It can get quite crazy when you come back from afk and find your char inside a pack of 5+ others all moving from the same mob to the same next mob, each time one guy hits first and the other 5 hit it a split second later donating their SS to help him get the kill credit and adena. Then all rush to the exaact next one and repeat.

There should perhaps be a built in pause after you break off from a manner hit, to prevent you immediately rushing the next mob in the same way, just a second or 2 would be enough maybe to find a different target than the train your stuck in.

I've purposely set chars to walk mode, or windwalk off just to try and avoid getting stuck in those manner trains. I suspect ppl put manner off for similar reasons.

• Like 1

On 9/20/2021 at 10:52 AM, consort said:

i really wish NCSoft would just force everyone to manner on

or only give XP - nothing else to those who keep manners off.

The Manners feature doesn't exactly function as it should anyway.

I've been next to a player who has Manners On while I also have Manners On, yet we sometimes end up attacking the same mob even after one of us has already engaged the mob and established aggro.  

In fact, there have been times where I hit the mob first and get aggro, but the other player also hits the mob, so my character stops attacking that mob respecting the Manners On precondition, but the mob keeps attacking me anyway, likely because I dealt more damage with my initial attack than the other person. So now I have a mob that I'm no longer trying to kill attacking me, but I'm not hitting it back. Hopefully, the other guy kills the mob with his puny attacks before my HP goes to 0. I almost died that way after two more aggro mobs spawned on me while I'm still getting hit by a third mob that the other guy is taking forever to kill. :)

On 9/18/2021 at 3:54 PM, consort said:

since all my alts are low 60's and i grind out each day's 800 mob kills for missions

i figured i'd add Devainne, so i waste about 103K and 10 minutes time per alt

running back to find yet another not too crowded farming spot to cash this in.

is any of this really worth it for a few cookies a drop of xp and some soul ore* ?

honestly the buff you get does no seem to matter to any class in their 60's.

*after 20 cash-in's = all i get are a few 30% xp scrolls, soul ore, or shot tix.

"why does any1 bother" is on every topic you make. It seems to me that you cannot understand how the events work or rather what you get out of the event. Its not the 1 box that has the chance to give you a random item, ill tell you from now that 98% you will always get "that random item that you do not want" but the best part about the quest is the 300k bonus reward, at 79 I get 2.5% and that is what you should be focusing on as well, the random reward is always gonna be crap and you need to accept it.