Advice for Main Support / Duo

Namiea

Hello everyone!

I haven't played L2 for over 10+ years and am looking forward to coming back with L2 classic and meeting so many of you!

I enjoy playing healer/support characters and could use your advice on what would be best to play between: Bishop, Prophet, Shillien Elder or Elven Elder.

I do have a friend that I'll always be partied with that enjoys DPS (ideally non-magic user) so I'd also love advice for what class would be best with the above supports. We would be mostly focused on PVE and are just looking for something that is strong and fast/efficient with the leveling process with great potential for end game fun.

At this time, I am between playing Bishop and boxing a prophet and having my friend go HE or Gladiator. Or, I'd go SE and my friend would do AW or BD. Ideally, we'd be the same race to start in the same place and we would minimize the amount we'd have to fish for missing buffs within our set up. 

I was thinking that, though the prophet is great for leveling, end game it wouldn't really have much to offer besides buff and sit. I am a really good healer, and have healed in many MMOs for over 10 years, so I didn't want to let that talent go to waste.

However, I am getting mixed information from various forums and skill lists that are outdated and/or conflicting so I figured I'd post here for some updated advise.

Thank you!

You're not gonna want to main a prophet. Best bet if you want to play a dedicated healer is Bishop or EE. Buffer depends on what your friend rolls, but probably you're gonna want a prophet or WC box for any kind of non-magic DPS. WC could be better since you won't be needing heals from the prophet and VR is nice (is VR confirmed in classic? I don't remember when it was actually introduced).

Is your friend going to be boxing a character? Might work better if he boxed a buffer (or you ran one as your 3rd box) and you could box a character that could contribute some DPS since a dedicated healer can be less efficient than a boxed one for PvE. A BD/HE/Bishop/WC party could be very strong where you can hex/tank/dance/pick up drops with the BD and alt-tab for the occasional heal.

1 hour ago, blinds said:

Buffer depends on what your friend rolls, but probably you're gonna want a prophet or WC box for any kind of non-magic DPS.

Would a magic DPS work better with Bishop / SE / EE? My friend is open to it. Perhaps SE with SH?

Ideally, we wouldn't level more than 2 characters... but we're open to 3 characters tops haha. I figure if I'm bishop, there's no way we can't not have a 3rd character for buffs.

Thanks for your input and help! :)

50 minutes ago, Namiea said:

Would a magic DPS work better with Bishop / SE / EE? My friend is open to it. Perhaps SE with SH?

Ideally, we wouldn't level more than 2 characters... but we're open to 3 characters tops haha. I figure if I'm bishop, there's no way we can't not have a 3rd character for buffs.

Thanks for your input and help! :)

Bro if your friend is open to being a magic dps just have him go SH or SPS and roll either EE or SE if starting in the same begining village is important. EE+SPS and SE+SH ofc for the pairings then. Regardless which pair you go, you can get 1 fish stew to replace the buff you are missing from either going EE or going SE. 

Reading what you care about, my best recommendation to you would be to go SPS and EE. EE will give you more healing power to be an actual hearler late game because it gets a better heal than the SE does. SE kinda just becomes a buff bot late in most repsects. The nuker I would reccomend would be SH for the power of the nukes, but if like I said, rolling the same starting village is really that important (which it shouldn't be because you can free port to the other starting village with gatekeeper coins) then have at it with SPS. 

2 hours ago, YoungNastyMan said:

EE will give you more healing power to be an actual hearler late game because it gets a better heal than the SE does. SE kinda just becomes a buff bot late in most repsects. 

This is yet to be confirmed. I remember it the same way as you do. But when looking at the classic wiki it is not true. There SE is actually a better healer than EE because they apparently have greater group heals?

https://l2wiki.com/classic/Elven_Elder#48

https://l2wiki.com/classic/Shillien_Elder#48

I hope and pray that the wiki is wrong since I want to go EE for the combined heal and recharge. I remember EE as the better healer as well back in the days. Hope I don't get dissapointed with EEs being a watered down version of anything for classic.

58 minutes ago, Zaaka said:

But when looking at the classic wiki it is not true. There SE is actually a better healer than EE because they apparently have greater group heals?

I hope and pray that the wiki is wrong since I want to go EE for the combined heal and recharge.

That has always been that way. Compared to SE, EE was a good single-target healer because of ability to spam GH+Vitalize, but needed to use Sleep to neutralize AoE and paralyzing mobs in advance.

13 hours ago, Zaaka said:

This is yet to be confirmed. I remember it the same way as you do. But when looking at the classic wiki it is not true. There SE is actually a better healer than EE because they apparently have greater group heals?

Yes, this is what I meant in my OP when I said there's conflicting information regarding skill lists. L2Wiki hasn't been updated since 2015 / 3 years ago so who knows how accurate it is for what we will be getting for our NA classic. 

As it is now, I've confirmed that most people feel SE is much better as a buff-box end game and EE is the only real, viable main out of the two (EE and SE). However, perhaps the finalized skill list would change this? I will certainly be looking out for this information next week.

It is a tough choice, for sure, between leveling 3 characters vs 2 and what end game means for BP vs EE/SE vs the leveling process and so on. In many of my consideratons, the leveling experience is great vs the viability of the character end game (or vice-versa) which adds to the complexity of the decision. I will continue to put thought into this.

Thank you to everyone for your replies! I'm certainly open to more insights if anyone else would like to share their perspective. Thanks, again!

18 hours ago, Namiea said:

Hello everyone!

I haven't played L2 for over 10+ years and am looking forward to coming back with L2 classic and meeting so many of you!

I enjoy playing healer/support characters and could use your advice on what would be best to play between: Bishop, Prophet, Shillien Elder or Elven Elder.

I do have a friend that I'll always be partied with that enjoys DPS (ideally non-magic user) so I'd also love advice for what class would be best with the above supports. We would be mostly focused on PVE and are just looking for something that is strong and fast/efficient with the leveling process with great potential for end game fun.

At this time, I am between playing Bishop and boxing a prophet and having my friend go HE or Gladiator. Or, I'd go SE and my friend would do AW or BD. Ideally, we'd be the same race to start in the same place and we would minimize the amount we'd have to fish for missing buffs within our set up. 

I was thinking that, though the prophet is great for leveling, end game it wouldn't really have much to offer besides buff and sit. I am a really good healer, and have healed in many MMOs for over 10 years, so I didn't want to let that talent go to waste.

However, I am getting mixed information from various forums and skill lists that are outdated and/or conflicting so I figured I'd post here for some updated advise.

Thank you!

If your friend has played Gladiator before and not for ten years he will need to readjust to how sonic forces work, they still have the GOD+ version of how forces affect skill damage (which i dont like at all) so i wouldnt recommend gladiator as much as it pains me to say it.

2 minutes ago, Lumo said:

If your friend has played Gladiator before and not for ten years he will need to readjust to how sonic forces work, they still have the GOD+ version of how forces affect skill damage (which i dont like at all) so i wouldnt recommend gladiator as much as it pains me to say it.

He's completely new to L2. In this case, what would you recommend? ^_^

2 minutes ago, Namiea said:

He's completely new to L2. In this case, what would you recommend? ^_^

It's a strong class if it has MP, its only use is burst damage, once hes out of mana he will just be swinging as good as his duals are...

You have to decide between triple slash (which now has hex built in) at the start of the fight or doing overhits. Destro or Tyrant are better for PVE imo.

5 hours ago, Lumo said:

It's a strong class if it has MP, its only use is burst damage, once hes out of mana he will just be swinging as good as his duals are...

You have to decide between triple slash (which now has hex built in) at the start of the fight or doing overhits. Destro or Tyrant are better for PVE imo.

Good points, thank you! Is there any human race that would pair well with BP (and PP Box)?

At this time, however, I am leaning towards going SE or EE (waiting on patch notes) with SH.

I don't know why nobody brought this up yet, but you'll need at least 2 rechargers for a nuker to be able to grind comfortably. If you dont care about pvp at all, then you can make a SH, because they are the best in pve, but the single best mage on classic is necro and nothing comes close to it. Its also harder to level up initially than any other mage and you also need the CDL spellbook which is a pain in the ass to get.

44 minutes ago, Lost said:

I don't know why nobody brought this up yet, but you'll need at least 2 rechargers for a nuker to be able to grind comfortably. If you dont care about pvp at all, then you can make a SH, because they are the best in pve, but the single best mage on classic is necro and nothing comes close to it. Its also harder to level up initially than any other mage and you also need the CDL spellbook which is a pain in the ass to get.

Thank you for this.

Indeed, I'm leaning towards playing Bishop with my partner going as either Warlord or Gladiator. 

At the end of the day, it seems no duo is perfect so I'm hoping for the best with this. We'll rely on our clan, party and friends ?

Of course, if anyone feels a different class is stronger with Bishop, please let me know.

Thanks, again!

55 minutes ago, Namiea said:

Thank you for this.

Indeed, I'm leaning towards playing Bishop with my partner going as either Warlord or Gladiator. 

At the end of the day, it seems no duo is perfect so I'm hoping for the best with this. We'll rely on our clan, party and friends ?

Of course, if anyone feels a different class is stronger with Bishop, please let me know.

Thanks, again!

You and your warrior-friend will be run out of Mana with Bishop.

Go Elven Elder instead of Bishop, she has Vitalize n Greater Heal just like Bishop, she also has high level Resurrection (Bishop is the only class has higher Resurrection than EE).

In addition, The Elven Elder has Recharge, Stun Resistance n Party Return, that will help your party in term of farming, leveling. Your warrior is now not just more survivability, he can kill mobs in an unstoppable way.

For boxes, I recommend SwordSinger, another elven-protector for your party, but it requires a lot effort to help she reach lvl 49. And at level 55, she will become a shinning star.

If you n your friend can afford another box, it can be a BladeDancer or Prophet. For faster killing speed.

Gladiator would be good with a pp and a bd.

If you're going to play with a WL then you'll need 2 rechargers as well as a buffer and ideally a sws. Up 'til around 52 or so you'll manage with just one recharger but it starts to get tougher later on.

The buffer and sws aren't required, but they make things much easier.

To sum this up: 

WL needs at least 2 rechargers to play efficiently.

Gladiator needs a pp and a bd to play efficiently.

If your friend likes the gladiator feel then you could ask him to make a tyrant which is a much better choice on classic and feels similiar to a gladiator.

Both glad and tyrant are good in single target and aoe scenarios and you can efficiently level them up in either a small group or a full party so that's also an option for you.

Making a bishop for a 2 man group (with some possible boxes) is an overkill in my opinion as you'll be able to heal well enough on your pp or wc (whichever you decide to make) and a buffer is an absolute neccessity.

Unless of course you want to roll a box each, then you could easily go for a healer+buffer and your friend could roll his main+bd.

27 minutes ago, Lost said:

Gladiator would be good with a pp and a bd.

If you're going to play with a WL then you'll need 2 rechargers as well as a buffer and ideally a sws. Up 'til around 52 or so you'll manage with just one recharger but it starts to get tougher later on.

The buffer and sws aren't required, but they make things much easier.

To sum this up: 

WL needs at least 2 rechargers to play efficiently.

Gladiator needs a pp and a bd to play efficiently.

If your friend likes the gladiator feel then you could ask him to make a tyrant which is a much better choice on classic and feels similiar to a gladiator.

Both glad and tyrant are good in single target and aoe scenarios and you can efficiently level them up in either a small group or a full party so that's also an option for you.

Making a bishop for a 2 man group (with some possible boxes) is an overkill in my opinion as you'll be able to heal well enough on your pp or wc (whichever you decide to make) and a buffer is an absolute neccessity.

Unless of course you want to roll a box each, then you could easily go for a healer+buffer and your friend could roll his main+bd.

Gladi AOE sonic buster is expensive and uses energy stones it only hits frontal enemies so isn’t a full AOE skill, sonic storm is the distance 360 ring doesn’t use energy stones, both cost a lot of mana and aren’t particularly strong skills.

Gladi CAN aoe just like an elf fighter can heal itself but by no means are they good at it 

56 minutes ago, Lumo said:

Gladi AOE sonic buster is expensive and uses energy stones it only hits frontal enemies so isn’t a full AOE skill, sonic storm is the distance 360 ring doesn’t use energy stones, both cost a lot of mana and aren’t particularly strong skills.

Gladi CAN aoe just like an elf fighter can heal itself but by no means are they good at it 

Gladiator has it harder when it comes to aoe because sonic storm has a much longer cooldown than force storm (tyrant skill) so they need to use their second aoe skill which costs adena, while a tyrant can just spam force storm and be efficient with that skill alone.

That's why I suggested a tyrant instead of a gladiator. They are a much better class on classic.

The skill isn't weak, its just the cooldown that sucks.

Thank you so much, everyone. You have certainly given me a lot to think about.

Is there literally no recommended class that will pair well with BP? Or even SE/EE?

It seems that there major issues with any combination :/

58 minutes ago, Namiea said:

Is there literally no recommended class that will pair well with BP? Or even SE/EE?

This is kinda the beauty of L2 and why you can have 9 people in a party. Every class has something unique to offer so any pair of characters will have strengths and weaknesses. There is no optimal combination that does everything better than all other combinations.

6 hours ago, Namiea said:

Hi, i remember in C5 i was Bishop and the best duo for me was a Figther in general and the best trio for me was a Warlord and a SE for the VR and MP.

After that a full party to grind was my best party. And i was needed in a party mages only for PVP.

But that was C5, wo is equivalent to Clasic 2.7 i think, no 1.5.

Depends on your goals as well, when I started as PP all I did was duo with a TH to start with, it was challenging but fun and we got there. Then I did quite a few groups where I was the buffer and the healer and we had no VR and it was fun, it was challenging but we did alright. Only quite a bit later I discovered the perks of having someone with VR. And when I decided to become the best, I did get a VR account with a cardi as well and massive powerlvling started!

What I wanted to say, anything is viable if you are there for the journey! (or maybe not anymore since times changed :D).

Bishop is a great toon and you will be needed, and it does have some lower lvl buffs.  My long time ago clan leaders were Bishop and Tank...it was slow but they made it work so...just go for it.  And like everyone is saying, you can try out a couple different buffers as box if you need to, and find one that works for you.  gl.

12 hours ago, marcysiek said:

is SR+PP worth playing? :P (or HE+PP?)

PP is basically made for Archer, zerk, crit, etc plus cc.  go for it!

Archived