What are the best mages for pvp in classic?

bird

Just as the title says, what are the best mages for pvp in classic?

Also, as a side note, does anyone know how good gladiators are early game? Or is it all just about mage spam early game as far as pvp goes?

Necro is considered the best all-around class for duels,  I think the site even says that somewhere.  But Matic is right early classic Spell singers due to casting speed were pretty nasty.  Honestly, the difference is minimal, find one you love and stick with it.  

2 minutes ago, bird said:

Just as the title says, what are the best mages for pvp in classic?

Also, as a side note, does anyone know how good gladiators are early game? Or is it all just about mage spam early game as far as pvp goes?

Classic's pvp is relying a lot more on crowd control compared to previous patches.

with that said, anything that has fear, paralyze or silence has already the upper hand against those who do not have such ccs. necros/spellhowlers will be very popular.

gladiators shine in group play, as in small-scale world pvp where they can get plenty of kills if they don't get focused. they're good for solo pvp as well, at least against most classes.

as for mass pvp, there's way better classes suited for that. they're not really meant as a class for mass pvp, except for rushing/pushing the enemy lines together with other melee units/tanks when it's needed.

Any experienced L2 player will tell you that the best PvP mage pre-C4 is SpS, people who say otherwise are just clueless, but ofc what you must do is to choose what you like most to play, that's the most important thing at the end of the day not what considered the best.

1 minute ago, rpgmaniac said:

Any experienced L2 player will tell you that the best PvP mage pre-C4 is SpS, people who say otherwise are just clueless, but ofc what you must do is to choose what you like most to play, that's the most important thing at the end of the day not what considered the best.

I'll be clueless, but I remember quite clearly sorcerers being the best mage on C3 o_O together with sps perhaps.  

9 minutes ago, ZygiA said:

I'll be clueless, but I remember quite clearly sorcerers being the best mage on C3 o_O together with sps perhaps.  

I played till C3(long time), so I don't remember clearly, but the server at that time had much more Sorc near lv75(cap), I'll stick with you in this one.

To OP Honestly, most PvP is done with whoever ganks first wins in open world fights over grind spots. 

Team fights its more positional and getting your shots off, in all PvP cases every mage is going to do well.  I actually felt even though the Necro is ranked best in duels he is weakest in real PvP.  Most players are not going to sit around waiting for you to be ready for a duel.  They will flag up to get you low as they think they can without going red then wait for you to get frustrated and flag back and drop you.  Its whoever hits first.  The class is not much of a distinction.  

Play what you think looks awesome and feels right, I had a 74 SH and was running around one-shotting other players.  So to each his own.

Its a toss between SPS and necro.  SPS has high cast speed and crit chance.  remember mage crit is like 4x dmg.  Necros have the transfer pain, para which is nasty and hard to counter without DC armor, and then cursed spike which hits hard and super fast cast time.  

56 minutes ago, Fenreir said:

gladiators shine in group play, as in small-scale world pvp where they can get plenty of kills if they don't get focused. they're good for solo pvp as well, at least against most classes.

Since I played a 78 Duelist from Skelth (Highest OE duals on server at the time, +6 everything else).... Gladiators become 100% worthless post level 70 when Tyrants and Destros are able to put out more than 2x to 3x the amount of damage you could ever do.  A mage will 3-shot most gladiators at level 70 since they are -CON +STR, and the ones that don't do full +STR are going to be hitting people well under 1k damage.

To give you an idea of just how bad they are, a bard with full STR should actually be able to match the auto-attack dps of a glad.  The skill burst dps of a glad is decent, but when each ability costs over 100 mana and you have a 1500 mana pool.... lol

And in olympiad you can fully expect to lose to every summoner, tank, and fear-based CC classes.

1 minute ago, mithias said:

Depends on what patch they start at. Remember "Cancel" used to remove all buffs, and "Sleep" used to cast instantly and land almost 100%

I was wondering about the dot/sleep combo will work.  Remember when Sleep would only break on direct damage.  you could drop a dot then sleep and the dot would not wake you.  Basically Dot, sleep and then quick bolt and game over.  They patched that out eventually.  

39 minutes ago, InVizO said:

Since I played a 78 Duelist from Skelth (Highest OE duals on server at the time, +6 everything else).... Gladiators become 100% worthless post level 70 when Tyrants and Destros are able to put out more than 2x to 3x the amount of damage you could ever do.  A mage will 3-shot most gladiators at level 70 since they are -CON +STR, and the ones that don't do full +STR are going to be hitting people well under 1k damage.

To give you an idea of just how bad they are, a bard with full STR should actually be able to match the auto-attack dps of a glad.  The skill burst dps of a glad is decent, but when each ability costs over 100 mana and you have a 1500 mana pool.... lol

And in olympiad you can fully expect to lose to every summoner, tank, and fear-based CC classes.

i beg to differ on some points.

i agree on the +STR build, since it's the most profitable for a gladi due to mp consumption of damage skills, however i wouldn't go for -CON unless i was doing mostly PvE.

+STR -DEX would be the proper way to go past 70, since with duelist spirit lv2 you can balance out the loss in attack speed, and still mantain a good HP pool.

tyrants may have higher damage spikes compared to gladis, but they are weaker to ccs such as stun.

destroyers on zealot+frenzy have always been a nightmare for anything that got close to them, yet they can still get feared as much as any other melee class. they do have the ability to oneshot even tanks with criticals on full buffs+dances thou, so i guess they're still the top melee DDs.

olympiads are another story as well. there's other factors to consider like talismans, baiting and positioning, so it's a bit more complex compared to world pvp.

classes with fear/silence skills will dominate most of the time anyway, especially DAs since they got both higher survival chances, ccs and extra damage from panther/cancel.

I always concider necromancer the best class for pvp, you got fear and anchor + transfer pain... the bad thing is its freaking expensive, you need BSS and bones. The other class that I like for pvp is spellsinger, for me those are the best classes for pvp.

3 hours ago, mithias said:

Depends on what patch they start at. Remember "Cancel" used to remove all buffs, and "Sleep" used to cast instantly and land almost 100%

Don't remember seeing any of this addressed in the patch notes. Anyone know what this will be? 

3 hours ago, rpgmaniac said:

This update is not pre C4, it's a game on its own. Sorc was just as good as SpS because of how stupid Cancel was but the class had less cast speed than SpS. But remember that back then there weren't much buffs around or newer buffs like cov and others that kinda equalized the cast speed. SH/Necro will have time to cast their silence first and rebuff with scrolls if needed. After some patches necro got all the 7x insane debuffs and there was no match for them. In later chronicles SH was just the best group/siege pvp all around, when mages got reworked. Also cheaper CDL+b2m for leveling. This classic will have all that or in a later update if you check wiki.

8 minutes ago, Sweetness said:

Don't remember seeing any of this addressed in the patch notes. Anyone know what this will be? 

l2wiki made by innova is more or less reliable to this classic version.

Archived