Lineage 2 Classic NA Megathread

Gabe

Here's what we know now:

• Juji is currently doing an analysis to determine profitability and feasibility. 
  • Rudimentary analysis has determined NCSoft would make a positive Net Present Value by opening a Classic server
  • Lineage 2 Revolutions advertising has significantly boosted L2's brands awareness and nostalgia 
  • Both Classic EU and Classic Club have seen a ~300 person bump in daily active users. Most of them coming from Lineage 2 Revolution who have wanted to play "real" L2 and not a mobile game. 
  • With MxM's failure and recent L2 Server merges, human resources as well as server power should now be unallocated making this an easy decision for NCSoft

It'd be more successful than Naia or Freya is... 

Think about it like this... 

> You see Conan O'Brian repping Lineage 2 Revolution. 

> You figure, "hey I've played that game way back when"

> Download and play L2 Revolution 

> Automated PvE, P2W, ehhh this game is okay... 

> Get to Gludin, Windmill Hill

> Nostalgia hits, man it'd be fun to really try out the PC version of L2

> Realizes Gludin  and the real lineage 2 experience doesn't exist in current Lineage2.com 

> Ends up on Skelth or Classic Club

This has been the story of dozens and dozens of gamers who have come back recently to try either classic club or Skelth; both of those servers are more populated than Dead Naia and Empty Freya. 

Juji and NCSoft really needs to get their finger back on the pulse of their target market. Its sad seeing the NA publisher of Lineage 2 lose a sizable chunk of their customers to a European competitor or a freeshard server. 

Myself and a cohort of investors (there are some big wallets on Skelth) already offered NCSoft Korea an upfront purchase and royalties to publish a North and South American server. Yet NCSoft Korea has said the decision to publish in the Americas is solely up to the NCWest team

Revolution is very boring. 

Lineage changed as well as players. There are few very quality private servers with H5/C6 settings. It usually start with 6k+ people but in few months there is like 300 people. And I'm writing about very quality servers, with active GMs, no donate etc. 

People have families, jobs... And there are not many hardcore players like we used to be. Hardcore farming (8h+) is the past.

In my opinion if there will be l2classic from ncwest, it will be dead very soon. Who wanted to try it, tried it on Innova classic.

EDIT

A lot of people left official servers because of P2W. Which is also part of classic...

It might be boring to you, but lineage 2 revolution got 2 million phones to download and play it. 

Marketing works. 

If NCWest marketed better, not only would a hypothetical classic server do better, but Chronos, Naia, and Freya would do better as well. 

Well, the way I see it, is this.

1. NC wont Advertise. L2 rev is not actually NCsoft. Boom there goes that one, unfortunately. Its part of their "Never be great" strategy they adhere to so very well.

2. L2 isn't worse off for the world content that they have in current L2, its the P2W scale that is off the charts, the tampering with rates, the consistently making L2 worse decisions. None of this goes away with a different version. If the same idiots are making the same uneducated decisions, you will get the same level of quality.

32 minutes ago, aelian said:

+1 for revolution, come to Ken Rauhel04 (BlueStacks is your friend if you dont wanna spend half day on ur phone)

I agree L2R is great. Classic will be great, if they keep up subscription based and no shop, and just increase xp/adena rates a bit, so westerners don't cry it's too hard. 

1 minute ago, J0nSnow said:

I agree L2R is great. Classic will be great, if they keep up subscription based and no shop, and just increase xp/adena rates a bit, so westerners don't cry it's too hard. 

That is the crux of this whole matter... 

There are two issues... 

NCWest needs to make money

Westernized gamers need to be catered to. 

It can easily be solved by having a tiered subscription solution. 

$10/month gets you access to the game

An extra $20/month gets you double exp and sp.

This allows NCWest to effectively charge $30/month for all active accounts. (buff box's and shop accounts would be just $10/month)

This also allows classic to become slightly easier for western players who don't play as much as Russian and Korean players.  

1 minute ago, Gabe said:

There are two issues... 

This allows NCWest to effectively charge $30/month for all active accounts. (buff box's and shop accounts would be just $10/month)

This also allows classic to become slightly easier for western players who don't play as much as Russian and Korean players.  

This is the company that thought MXM would be something people actually wanted to play, so I'm sure they will get it wrong. 

18 minutes ago, Gabe said:

There are two issues... 

I think they should do $30/50/100 something like that for the tiers. 

5 minutes ago, J0nSnow said:

I think they should do $30/50/100 something like that for the tiers. 

That might seem p2w, but honestly, if that's what it took to make NCWest publish classic without a p2w cash shop. I'd be fine with it. Although I think after 50/month, they'll start to lose customers. 

Chronos, Classic, Archeage would all be great games if they weren't burdened by p2w concepts. 

Just now, Draecke said:

to be clear stop saying no shop mode cause Korea Classic etc all have shop including brooch jewels etc. so obviously NCWest would have the same..

That's not necessarily true. There are lots of things Korea has that NCWest doesn't. Heck the XP Tables are different. Korea also has (had) a Red vs Blue PvP server that you can play on. And a ton of other promotional items and ways to get in game loot that NCWest never adopted. 

1 minute ago, Draecke said:

to be clear stop saying no shop mode cause Korea Classic etc all have shop including brooch jewels etc. so obviously NCWest would have the same..

Pretty sure Korean L2 servers have different xp tables, sell lvl 3 jewels at mammon, etc, so clearly NCWest can make changes to things if they wanted. I'm sure Juji could figure something out. 

48 minutes ago, Draecke said:

you guys are talking about the same NC team that has been refusing to give us the same XP table for like 1year now on L2 so I admire the good faith shown here :)

A man can dream... 

I do wish NCWest would definitively say whether or not they plan to pursue it. They've been "assessing" the project for over a year now.  Only recently have we seen a bump in activity due to MxM's failure and L2 Revolutions great success in raising Lineage 2's brand awareness. 

@Juji maybe you can chime in? 

7 hours ago, marw said:

Revolution is very boring. 

Lineage changed as well as players. There are few very quality private servers with H5/C6 settings. It usually start with 6k+ people but in few months there is like 300 people. And I'm writing about very quality servers, with active GMs, no donate etc. 

People have families, jobs... And there are not many hardcore players like we used to be. Hardcore farming (8h+) is the past.

In my opinion if there will be l2classic from ncwest, it will be dead very soon. Who wanted to try it, tried it on Innova classic.

EDIT

A lot of people left official servers because of P2W. Which is also part of classic...

unless they have some 3rd party program :P

• 3 weeks later...

Quick look back.   Steam took in Lineage2 and Zaken had great population.  Issue is the lack of oversight from NCWest.  Botting issues gave NCwest such a bad name I believe many would not give L2Classic a try without something in place to give customers reassurance.  (Actual loss like monthly fee or key per account)

I'm not sure about the long term success of Classic, but I am positive people would come back to play it.  GoD wasn't  horrible, but it isn't old l2. Not saying classic is old l2 because it's a lot different, but it has a lot of elements that GoD doesn't have.  I miss the old days for sure, and I know can't bring them back but I'd play classic. 

We need real L2 back for the ppl who wants it, why is it so many ppl from chronos complaining against it? that is the real question...

Retail needs all attention it can get cuz its dying fast, which Classic would provide if launched properly...this guy Gabe got it figured out, i wish u haters could see the bigger picture and work for your gaming community instead of bashing the idea with unvalid statements... 

Archived