Critical_Process_Died

Boosted

@mixa, tried adding L2 as an exception rather than turning DEP completely. Logged in and critical_process_died. NC support is a damn joke. Been getting the runaround from them since December 12th!! I am more than a bit frustrated and pissed! You name it and I've tried it and I will NOT reformat my drive for this stupid fricking game.

DEP is a OS feature to protect against code exploits so this will not likely fix your problem. As much as it sucks, Windows has gotten immensely complex over the years and that much harder to troubleshoot. Not to rub it in (and I'm someone who used to troubleshoot crash dump files as part of my job) but these days it's far quicker/cheaper to reimage a system than spend the amount of time as you are doing now to figure out what is wrong which is what tech support in most businesses do today for most cases.

Btw not sure if it's still there on Win 10, there used to be a feature to restore the last known good configuration during boot up you may want to try...

uninstall (important is to really uninstall them) drivers for Graphic card, Sound card and input devices. Let windows find generic drivers for that HW (i know all features will not work). Uninstall AV (just for testing). If you have some killer Networkcard de-install drivers for that too in case Windows will recognize the HW and network will work under Windows generic driver. Update BIOS for the motherboard. Test L2. If L2 work add Graphic drivers. Test l2. If works install sound card. Test again etc etc.

11 hours ago, cmquake said:

DEP is a OS feature to protect against code exploits so this will not likely fix your problem. As much as it sucks, Windows has gotten immensely complex over the years and that much harder to troubleshoot. Not to rub it in (and I'm someone who used to troubleshoot crash dump files as part of my job) but these days it's far quicker/cheaper to reimage a system than spend the amount of time as you are doing now to figure out what is wrong which is what tech support in most businesses do today for most cases.

Btw not sure if it's still there on Win 10, there used to be a feature to restore the last known good configuration during boot up you may want to try...

DEP is a prevention system, both OS and hardware, which might find some stuff malicious, while it really isn't, eg. GameGuard (ok ok I know, this is cheesy!).

@Sharlanna

Turn it off completely just for the test. You can always turn it back on later if it doesn't help.

And yea,  Windows 7 is so much better OS yet. Think of that option.

Ok guys.. bare with me here. I'm very tired and stressed to the max. I'm 65 yrs old and a female who is alone and going through a lot of real life crap atm and though I know much more than others about this stuff other is meaningless to me... i.e. don't know how to reimage my system, and yea I can uninstall drivers but this stuff makes me really nervous. And I also don't have a clue when it comes to creating a dual boot set up and install Win 7.

I had hoped to leave L2 on my terms but this is ridiculous.

Look at this:

Windows Memory Tester
---------------------
identifier              {memdiag}
device                  partition=C:
path                    \boot\memtest.exe
description             Windows Memory Diagnostic
locale                  en-US
inherit                 {globalsettings}
badmemoryaccess         Yes

EMS Settings
------------
identifier              {emssettings}
bootems                 No

Debugger Settings
-----------------
identifier              {dbgsettings}
debugtype               Serial
debugport               1
baudrate                115200

RAM Defects
-----------
identifier              {badmemory}

Global Settings
---------------
identifier              {globalsettings}
inherit                 {dbgsettings}
                        {emssettings}
                        {badmemory}

I can do this!! Can't be that tough to replace ram. Found out I only have 1 8gb stick installed and the other 3 aren't being utilized.

ddr3-dimm-1.jpg

If you shut down your computer, unplug it and open it up you can try re-seating the RAM: release the clips and pull each stick out, then reinstall(press down and then lock the short end first, closest to the gap[key] then the long end) it may not "lock" properly the other way and repeated temperature changes can cause them to shift(become unseated)

18 hours ago, SAXnVl0LlNS said:

ddr3-dimm-1.jpg

If you shut down your computer, unplug it and open it up you can try re-seating the RAM: release the clips and pull each stick out, then reinstall(press down and then lock the short end first, closest to the gap[key] then the long end) it may not "lock" properly the other way and repeated temperature changes can cause them to shift(become unseated)

Just did that. I have one 8gb stick and it's in the slot next to my cpu fan and I mean smack dab next to it. I only have one lock on my ram slots. Took awhile to get the thing seated properly. I'll try logging in later and see if that worked.

10 hours ago, SAXnVl0LlNS said:

I thought it would be worth trying, if memtest86 fails after re-seating I'd say it is bad RAM, if it passes then MAYBE not(Windows or some critical software component may have been corrupted while the RAM was not seated correctly)

Yes, it was worth trying but I'm not sure if that stick wasn't seated properly before I removed it or not. It took me awhile to get it reseated after removing it because it sits so close to that fan. I ran memtest86 last night. It ran for 13 hours and completed 5 passes with no errors. I'll run sfc, chkdsk and check my registry today and see if anything shows up after reseating that stick. Not sure what else I can do. What I find strange is I can log into a private server that runs Gracia just fine. I've uninstalled and reinstalled L2. Even put tried installing it on another drive and still get errors. So strange.

Ok, I'm just brainstorming here since there's nothing more I can do until I get my usb drive so I can backup my stuff.

I still have this gut feeling there's something going on with that 1 stick of 8gb ram being in that #1 slot which is VERY close to the cpu and fan. During the summer my pc would heat up occasionally. My mobo is an Asus Sabertooth 990FX R2. Can I put that 1 stick in slot 2 to move it farther away from the cpu/fan or would I need another 8gb stick for slot 4?

10 minutes ago, Candee said:

Dual channel have preset factory setups. Check mobo manual on chapter 1, page 1-9 for the recommended setups.

PS: looks like you are using the factory proposed dual channel setup correctly

This isn't my mobo. Just a pic of one I found online showing the layout. My one 8gb stick is in slot 1 and VERY close to the cpu/fan.

For single channel the recommended slot for your mem stick should be DIMM A2(like in the picture you posted but just the first slot near cpu fan).

Btw if ur pc is overheating it more likely to be too much dust on the heatsink/cooler fan and/or shitty/old thermalpaste

Edit:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R2.0/E8042_SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.40325730.1516722104.1514316584-415518903.1514316584

in there you can check the recommended slots for memory sticks

8 minutes ago, Candee said:

For single channel the recommended slot for your mem stick should be DIMM A2(like in the picture you posted but just the first slot near cpu fan).

Btw if ur pc is overheating it more likely to be too much dust on the heatsink/cooler fan and/or shitty/old thermalpaste

Edit:

http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/SocketAM3+/SABERTOOTH_990FX_R2.0/E8042_SABERTOOTH_990FX_R20_V2_WEB.pdf?_ga=2.40325730.1516722104.1514316584-415518903.1514316584

in there you can check the recommended slots for memory sticks

Thanks, Candee. PC is is no longer over heating but did in the summer. Just checked that site and they recommend installing 1 stick in A2.. mine is now installed in A1. I bought this mobo and an ASUS Radeon R7 370 vid card 2 years ago. Apparently the guy who installed them didn't have a clue about ram installation and in what slot to put that 1 8gb stick in. I removed all connections to my pc yesterday and moved it to an area to open the case so many times yesterday my back is now out of whack. I "think" I remember moving it to A2 but when I reconnected everything I got an DVI not detected error.. maybe it wasn't seated properly? I'll try that maybe tomorrow if my back is feeling better.

Got my usb drive today and all files are now backed up. The one 8gb stick I ordered from Best Buy arrives tomorrow and I'll most likely return it. It had been delayed so I ordered 2 4gb sticks to take advantage of the dual channeling. Those arrive Friday. My back is feeling better so I'll give it a go over the weekend.

PROBLEM SOLVED and FIXED! I uninstalled the AMD 106x Sata controllers today and got in trouble. Rebooted and got inaccessible_boot_device. Was able to start in safe mode did an sfc /scannow.. good to go. Went into my device drivers and updated the Asmedia 106x Controller. Rebooted and was able to log into L2. Logged out and have logged in 4 times with no problems!!!!!!!! Probably was a glitch in the AMD Sata drivers.

12 hours ago, Sharlanna said:

PROBLEM SOLVED and FIXED! I uninstalled the AMD 106x Sata controllers today and got in trouble. Rebooted and got inaccessible_boot_device. Was able to start in safe mode did an sfc /scannow.. good to go. Went into my device drivers and updated the Asmedia 106x Controller. Rebooted and was able to log into L2. Logged out and have logged in 4 times with no problems!!!!!!!! Probably was a glitch in the AMD Sata drivers.

I told you that u should update all drivers as these things usually comes from crappy drivers. It is usually 30 minutes work.

7 hours ago, Asachiara said:

I told you that u should update all drivers as these things usually comes from crappy drivers. It is usually 30 minutes work.

I did update all of them through the manufacturer's websites but didn't realize sometimes you have to uninstall them first if they're corrupted. Apparently the AMD sata controller was corrupted so simply updating it didn't help. :D

Archived