Fishing or Shopping offline [quality-of-life]

MsbowElite

Save the environment, and the server. Half of this server is no active(offline acting) players, and because of this we have a huge lines, also so a few of my friends have to go to Aden. I have to waste 24/7 energy to maintain my accounts fishing or selling. For me it is not a problem, because I use a cloud server Hyper-v with 22 ip's, so I sell some services for that to some of them... but it is weird.

Some quality-of-life  made this comeback real, like see the debuff easily than Interlude, etc... Also I dont think this kind of changes will unbalance the game, as check the drop rate of the items inside the game. We are all checking the drop over l2wiki(which have a EU reference, and here we do not have any support and quality of info).

8 minutes ago, Charvel said:

Adding the offline option would keep the character logged in and as such the slot would still be taken. That wouldn't resolve the server capacity problem at all.

server capacity is likely based on latency issues and it would assist with that.

i'd say let offline shops be a thing (there's no value in just forcing someone to keep their PC on), no auction house

and remove fishing entirely from the game

7 minutes ago, Charvel said:

Adding the offline option would keep the character logged in and as such the slot would still be taken. That wouldn't resolve the server capacity problem at all.

Not necessarily, programmatically everything is possible, and things work exactly as you want them to. But in terms of performance, an offline player should be much lighter than an active.

17 hours ago, MsbowElite said:

Not necessarily, programmatically everything is possible, and things work exactly as you want them to. But in terms of performance, an offline player should be much lighter than an active.

While some things are programmatically possible, that is not how this works. An offline account would still need a char slot, which would still take up a spot for a legit player. I would have hated to see most of you play 15 years ago when the whole Netcong error kept popping up.

31 minutes ago, Krissa said:

Looks like you have never ever programmed anything bigger than "Hello world".

What? Man I have master degree... And here are my skills:

Asp.net Core 2.0

Cloud AWS

Cloud Azure

Unity 3d

Xamarin

Zabbix

So, please don't talk what you do not know.

9 minutes ago, MsbowElite said:

What? Man I have master degree... And here are my skills:

Asp.net Core 2.0

Cloud AWS

Cloud Azure

Unity 3d

Xamarin

Zabbix

So, please do talk what you do not know.

Hehe. When you become an experienced developer, you will brag about what you have actually done, and not about what you think they have taught you.

3 minutes ago, Krissa said:

Hehe. When you become an experienced developer, you will brag about what you have actually done, and not about what you think they have taught you.

The fact is, they dont increase the player number because of rules or money, not matter what you want, they will think by themselves. And this can even unbalance the farm...

Also I am a kind of guy that recommend that, no worth pay a 5k dollar for a medium programmer to do a common job, if I can do everything that is possible for 15k.

I am thinking about a microsoft security manager saying to everybody what he is and did, so your mod dont make any sense.

1 hour ago, Arinulis said:

While some things are programmatically possible, that is not how this works. An offline account would still need a char slot, which would still take up a spot for a legit player. I would have hated to see most of you play 15 years ago when the whole Netcong error kept popping up.

That's.. almost certainly not how this works. The issue in all likelihood is number of active connections, not players in the game. If you can close the connection while maintaining a state of "shop" or "fishing" it would take significantly less resources server side than keeping that connection open and continuously updating the client.   

I can think of two reasons why they haven't implemented this solution. One, it would be a lot of work and the way the game is structured might make it more difficult to implement. Maybe they're even working on it, lightening the server load seems like it would be a big priority. Two, a queue and high number of AFKs incentivizes VIP purchases. Could be both.

Have you ever programmed any kind of client/server architecture? It's weird that you would try to put in your 2 cents without much knowledge on the subject, but I guess this is the Internet.

1 hour ago, Bishibosh said:

That's.. almost certainly not how this works. The issue in all likelihood is number of active connections, not players in the game.

It is both. A live player that comes to Giran Harbor needs to be provided with the information about all the characters fishing there, no matter if they are online or offline.

2 hours ago, Bishibosh said:

That's.. almost certainly not how this works. The issue in all likelihood is number of active connections, not players in the game. If you can close the connection while maintaining a state of "shop" or "fishing" it would take significantly less resources server side than keeping that connection open and continuously updating the client.   

I can think of two reasons why they haven't implemented this solution. One, it would be a lot of work and the way the game is structured might make it more difficult to implement. Maybe they're even working on it, lightening the server load seems like it would be a big priority. Two, a queue and high number of AFKs incentivizes VIP purchases. Could be both.

Have you ever programmed any kind of client/server architecture? It's weird that you would try to put in your 2 cents without much knowledge on the subject, but I guess this is the Internet.

You know what they say about assumption right? Let's not make an ass out of you and me. Yes, I have done client/server development. I do it for a living everyday. The reason this is possible but not likely to ever happen is ONE: NCWest can't make changes themselves they have to pass the information along to NC Korea, who then has to implement the fix, send it back, yadda yadda. TWO: this isn't some L2J bullshit server code, they aren't going to write a game breaking extender just because someone complains because they can't log in.

If they were going to write anything it should be better bot protections, but, you don't see that happening either do you?

This is the problem with wannabe devs, they think because they've played and worked on L2J that it would be just as easy to write code hooks to give us those same bits of functionality, this is not the case period. There's a reason crap like .away and .shop hasn't been added. (Yes, I have looked at all of the extenders and other crap put out, I see how they do it). You however are welcome to be the eternal optimist and continue to believe they may be working on it (highly unlikely).

Archived