Is paladin really that bad?

Devaitto

Hello, i really like the concept of this class, but on every single guide or comparison between the tanks i read about classic i see the same line...

''Paladin is the worst sh!t tank ever created''.

And i'm like... is really that bad?... can someone list me a few pro's/cons about this class, and if i will have a spot in a group choosing to be Paladin

Not sure what direction NCSoft goes with Paladin in Classic in the future, but if they go in a similar direction they did with the phoenix, then it will be really bleeping strong. That's a huge, long term gamble to take though.

come on stop with the DA ....yes its good in 1 vs 1 for the panther but thats it ....for me hes not even a tank. SO if you want a good tank good for pvp you can choose DA/SK but if you want a goood tank that has survivability choose PALA/TempleKinght

Don't play Paladin or TK.

CPs don't need tanks that has survivability. Classic is all about control (debufs). If you want to be useful in party pve/pvp pick DA. 

Pick SK only if you are planning to play for a long time and after future updates and tons of grind you will be rewarded (lvl 80 ) 

If you ready to go through insane pain.

If you ready no matter what reach lvl 80

go for paladin...

Btw. Angelic I. can be casted now with 100% hp ... 

Any CP , Any clan would love to see you.

I have paladin lvl 52 in l2 classic eu skelth and... its depressing XD. Dark avenger its by far better than paladin since the fear its spameable and overpowered skill (talking about pvp). Paladin its probably the worst tank in the game since they remove aegis stance (360º block shield skill) so its hard to make trains cause its the slowest tank, SK and TK have better move speed and they have that aegis stance. Im talking about "late" game cause you will see tanks are not really neeaded early in the game.

In my opinion its a good character for small partys in undead zones (you have sacrifice to heal party mates, sanctum and all that skills that weak undead monsters, mass shackling), even with that Dark avenger its way better cause of damage (angelic icon its not that good till lvl 3 skill).

Make paladin if you are really in love with the character knowing that its probably the worst of the 4 pure tanks in the game ^^.

Paladin4life :D:D

If I remember correct my years ago, LOTS of years ago in LA2, Tank will be in NEED late game for World Bosses and huge party exp grinding in Lair of Antharas (that was biggest challenge when I was playing Lineage 2 =D) If you had a strong tank, you could show middle finger to trainer-tx's and shout thx for extra exp for party =D

30 minutes ago, TheGardener said:

When this server lvl cap increase and you see one lvl 80 group with one paladin and you die w/o change to win you can come here and say again Paladin is uselless

On EU/RU servers there is still no Paladin with lvl80 , high level parties knows that he is pretty useless even on lvl80. For more , it's not hard to get lvl80 for top parties of EU/RU classic servers. They already made a bunch of lvl80 SwSs, PPs, Warcs as they know that Song of Purification and Counter Critical are much better. And Sublime Self-Sacrifice for lvl81 Bishops, 3rd one will be soon . So why they don't want to have lvl80 Paladin ?

Very sad , as for me , as im Temple Knight fan. Even on lvl80 TK and Paladin are off-party buffers for PVP

56 minutes ago, Eugene said:

On EU/RU servers there is still no Paladin with lvl80 , high level parties knows that he is pretty useless even on lvl80. For more , it's not hard to get lvl80 for top parties of EU/RU classic servers. They already made a bunch of lvl80 SwSs, PPs, Warcs as they know that Song of Purification and Counter Critical are much better. And Sublime Self-Sacrifice for lvl81 Bishops, 3rd one will be soon . So why they don't want to have lvl80 Paladin ?

Very sad , as for me , as im Temple Knight fan. Even on lvl80 TK and Paladin are off-party buffers for PVP

You wrong Skelth have one 80 paladin and  Grand Kain too.... 80 skill is like one party UD, so bleeping strong

Just now, TheGardener said:

You wrong Skelth have one 80 paladin and  Grand Kain too.... Grand Kain last time i see oly one paladin 80 solo a 83 Titan with C grade Set xD

Yes , sorry. My fault, there are some real fans of PK . I was searching for 2nd class name :(

Titan 82 , yes . Anyway , all pvp party setups unfortunately with out PheonixK/TempleK. SK/DA preferred. SK for its Mass Anchor , which is no longer cool when you pvp against SwS lvl 80 party. So for now only DA , for Fear , Stun , Slow and of course Insane Crusher. Also, DAs are lvled for Oly farming , they have to have more lvl then opponents because any debuff land rate is based on lvl difference mainly. (For EU/RU, KR has anti debuff things in Shop )

Thanks for all your responses, even with all your information, i still wanna go for it, the concept is just too damn good, i don't intend to be top pvp/pve player, i just wanna have fun with a class that i like, but it still worry me that fact that i'll probably loose all tank spots on party with other tanks, still tought i will give it a try.

Thanks.

Man everyone tells you it sucks and you still do it.  Why ask in the first place?

I leveled a paladin and actually loved it but it sucks. But they took away a lot of the redeeming skills. If you don't have a CP or Clan to prioritize you in group you will have a hard time.  That's true of most classes but there's simply nothing that sets you apart from the other tanks.  

On 10/17/2018 at 9:25 PM, Devaitto said:

Thanks for all your responses, even with all your information, i still wanna go for it, the concept is just too damn good, i don't intend to be top pvp/pve player, i just wanna have fun with a class that i like, but it still worry me that fact that i'll probably loose all tank spots on party with other tanks, still tought i will give it a try.

Thanks.

To have fun with paladin you need to play with someone. Otherwise you just shield stun and hack your opponents. If you don't have someone to protect and support you will not use the class the way it was intended. Would be cool class if they removed restrictions of some skills being undead only.
Still I hardly imagine anyone having fun with paladin as you will be chasing everyone and get kited.

On 17/10/2018 at 11:11 AM, Birdy said:

come on stop with the DA ....yes its good in 1 vs 1 for the panther but thats it ....for me hes not even a tank. SO if you want a good tank good for pvp you can choose DA/SK but if you want a goood tank that has survivability choose PALA/TempleKinght

You dont even know the classes..... DA and Paladin has THE SAME SKILLS AS TANKS.  

Then kick in differences. DA has summon, fear, slow 3 USEFULL THINGS  both pve and pvp. 

Paladin has .... a heal? that drains almost half mp he has? LOL, sacrifice may be good as a who knows what thing, second healer will be always better..
Angelic anchor is nothing like the Angelic Icon was on previous chronicles.. There are already 2 more whole patches out there in classic, at least a year or more for us in terms of gameplay and Paladin has nothing nice.

Besides in this classic version panther keep gaining lvl for the DA instead on previous where the last skill lvl was on 74. 
So Da is the tank option that allows you to farm solo, to be usefull in pvp and has the same tool paladin has for tanking. 
Honestly, as a tank myself for more than 10 yrs i found for classic aoe SWS better, if you can pick one to collect mobs sws will do the same job as the other tanks xD  and with more speed due his songs.  
The only and really strongest tank in terms of defence is Temple knight... reasons: 1 aegeis, 2 guardstance ( only tk has it).  With GS + SF and aegis passive the TK has a lot more resistance against aoe damage than the other 3 tanks. 

Well cya. 

Archived