Don't use 'Check4Game'

Hauxen

After over 15 days of dealing with appeals I finally get a response that Check4Game isn't allowed & I was marked as 'suspicious activity' for using it. 

What's crazy is that the reason I use it is to fix my desktop brightness when leaving the game as it makes my monitor way too bright & unusable. The only way to fix this outside of Check4Game is to edit a .ini file within L2 (Which I didn't want to do) or Reboot. It was first reported when the game was released & only a small % of user seem to be effected to it but I'm not prepared to reboot my computer everytime I want to leave lineage.

He wasn't using it to modify the game, just to reset the monitor's gamma because the game completely ruins it. It's done this since forever. I'm guessing they don't check aside from it running and banned you anyway, I've actually been using it as well but haven't been banned yet. Must be a recent measure.

I found an alternative method here, it simply uses an AHK script to adjust GammaRamp every X seconds. That should be fine to use.

there lots of applications that do just that, control gamma/brightness/temperature for you, the lazy way, and don't try to modify games.

but you don't need any. nowadays every monitor comes with presets, and even if you can't adjust that easy, all video cards come with drivers and software doing just that.

This isn't about colour profiles, monitor settings or driver enforced colour adjustments. Lineage enforces a way too bright gamma ramp whenever it can regardless of your settings or monitor. Trying to counter adjust it is an exercise in futility because you'll have to keep adjusting it every time you launch, alt-tab and whatever else. Yes there's other stuff that adjusts gamma ramps, but they don't count on something as ancient as Lineage that for some reason runs its own gamma. The middle-ground is to simply reset it in set periods of time.

Incidentally, the L2.ini is encrypted so you'd have to decrypt it first if you want to adjust gamma in there. Considering the new measures I don't recommend doing it.

yea, that i know. every time i open the game the brightness and colors go up. one quick solution is to run the game in window mode and when you open it, alt+tab with something else, a browser or something. it goes back to normal. but for general purpose i use profiles on monitor.

i just wouldn't trust something like check4game after seeing what it does. i've seen plenty of applications that just do overall adjustments and don't try to interfere with applications. i would recommend one of those instead, if you really want.

Your still misunderstanding the issue Beleaua, I too tried profiles - It's the L2 client directly ramping up gamma & brightness that occasionally when exiting the game doesn't revert. This leaves me with a ridiculously bright & unusable monitor which requires a reboot to fix. Unfortunately a lot of the threads on it have been lost on the old forums but people still suffer from the issue - I can assure you this isn't a lazy way & I'm pretty tech savy - Hence why after lots of googling & testing things out I fell upon using Check4Game which was the only reasonable solution.

The real solution would be for NCSoft a multi milliondollar gaming company to fix the error back in it's hay day in 2006 - According to appeals, they are working on a fix (A 15 year in the making fix). I've only made the post to warn other new & veteran users that they are now banning for this commonly used piece of software so be aware. I'll no longer be playing Lineage 2 because I refuse to reboot my PC every time I want to play.

Archived