What is your all-time favorite event?

Lawman

Amongst all the complaining, let's have some fun for a change.  The current events are ending and, knowing NCWest, there will be a steady stream of events coming up.  Let's share which events we'd like to see again. 

I'll start with my favorite, the letter event.  Lots or people didn't like it, I guess because it cluttered up our inventories, and it certainly did that.  I loved it, though.  It was exciting when the key letters dropped, especially the II.  I really felt like I was being rewarded for all my grinding.  I also loved the simplicity of it.  No breaking open things with odd weapons.  No L2Store component (in the early days, anyway).  Just grind, grind, grind.  Then turn the letters in for your reward.  I'd love to have that feeling again when the II drops.  What's your favorite?

1 minute ago, Lawman said:

Amongst all the complaining, let's have some fun for a change.  The current events are ending and, knowing NCWest, there will be a steady stream of events coming up.  Let's share which events we'd like to see again. 

I'll start with my favorite, the letter event.  Lots or people didn't like it, I guess because it cluttered up our inventories, and it certainly did that.  I loved it, though.  It was exciting when the key letters dropped, especially the II.  I really felt like I was being rewarded for all my grinding.  I also loved the simplicity of it.  No breaking open things with odd weapons.  No L2Store component (in the early days, anyway).  Just grind, grind, grind.  Then turn the letters in for your reward.  I'd love to have that feeling again when the II drops.  What's your favorite?

None. They should just let us grind it out like old good days. These evens make the game unbalanced and the economy inbalanced. 

2 minutes ago, Lawman said:

For a minute I felt like OKAY, at least a non complaning post...but then I figured out Christmas is comming and by sure there will be a lot of sales in the L2 Stores, packs added and Christmas events with OP itms and all those things and then my friend, another hord of criers will join the forum.

2 minutes ago, ZygiA said:

None. They should just let us grind it out like old good days. These evens make the game unbalanced and the economy inbalanced. 

That brings up a good point and my memory fails me.  When did they start having events?  I seem to remember events of one kind or another from the earliest days of the game.  How far off am I?

1 minute ago, Lawman said:

That brings up a good point and my memory fails me.  When did they start having events?  I seem to remember events of one kind or another from the earliest days of the game.  How far off am I?

From what I remember they had Christmas events in C2 C3 and that's about it. I quit after Interlude so no idea, don't remember tbh. All I know is that barely anyone had a C weapon after a month of a launch, unlike here. 

1 minute ago, ZygiA said:

From what I remember they had Christmas events in C2 C3 and that's about it. I quit after Interlude so no idea, don't remember tbh. All I know is that barely anyone had a C weapon after a month of a launch, unlike here. 

No question 1-40 is easier here, so it makes sense C weapons would appear quicker.  Also, people know the game better, how and where to maximize farming with AOE and such.  And, of course, the bots appeared faster and more aggressively than in the beginning.  But I think that makes sense, given that this game likely doesn't have a 15 year or more lifespan ahead of it like the original game did.  I expect all things will happen a bit faster now.  Still, L2 Classic is much more of a grind than live and (I've heard, I don't have all that much experience with other games) harder than most other games out there.  

2 hours ago, ZygiA said:

I'm with Zygia. A good game doesn't need events to support and sustain itself. As such, I do not like any of the events in Lineage II. They are just crutches the developers throw at the game to temporarily hide the games plentiful flaws and abate some of the constant complaining on the forums. See World of Warcraft and EvE Online for examples of good events. Either they are story related and generally just fun things that have no impact upon the game other than being different and entertaining, or they are recurring and the same.

Every single Lineage II event has been nothing more than glorified gambling. The Halloween event would have been a decent kind had there been no weapon drops and had the xp buff potions been designed to persist after the conclusion of the event.

12 minutes ago, Ulyo said:

None, and this server is a bad joke.

Its depressing to see how NC Soft milk Lineage 2 to keep potential buyers in the game.

Wow, tough crowd.  Events are meant to be fun and, if properly done, are fun in my opinion.  Oh, well, differences of opinion make the world go 'round.  Thanks for replying.

21 minutes ago, Lawman said:

Wow, tough crowd.  Events are meant to be fun and, if properly done, are fun in my opinion.  Oh, well, differences of opinion make the world go 'round.  Thanks for replying.

Problem is when the events upstage the very game they are a part of. Events in Lineage II have always been badly designed because they do just that. The current Halloween event is a classic case in point of how bad events in Lineage II generally are.

For all those who have gotten a top D weapon, grats to them. The impact to me is that it has made selling DSS as a warsmith main much easier. It has also made it easier for me to level up since other weapons, like Tarbars, have fallen in price and people I group with are generally able to do much better damage. This is great since a Warsmith is NOT a DPS. That said. . .

These events also have large negative impacts upon the game. People see those who are so fortunate and when their own fortunes do not follow suit, they become depressed. This leads people to quitting. It also unbalances and upsets the game economy and the sociopolitical dynamics of the servers in ways that can be highly unpredictable. This in turn leads more players into quitting. This makes the game dull and dead by perception. In video games, perception is 90% of a game's success.

Of course, things are not helped by NC Soft's continued short sightedness.

5 hours ago, Lawman said:

Well, thrown 100 participants a round inside coliseum and do last man standing and give the winner a top D...repeat a few times...

Youll have players to be anticipating for something fun and a chance to win a rare D weapon that drops from raids or Queen Ant.

Instead what they did?

The bleeped off the whole D grade role playing in the server by throwing in thousands of TOP D and Rare, craftable only, into the hands of boxes made to be afk and increase the win chance.

Whats the bleeping point now in work for a rare D grade top weapon?

Just give shadow weapons then.....so everyone can lvl up without worry for equipment.

Server is crowded with top D weapons that shouldnt be obtained until 40+ 

Worst: you can be attacked by a random with a halloween costume, equipped with a TOP D weapon at lvl 20, and die in 1 strike, and not know what the bleep happened.

I died 3 times already doing my class transfer quest because I play support and Its hard to kill quest mobs without a good weapon, while some "lucky" guys are not even worried for equipment because they can sell 3 top D weapons they got from event and make profit , without spoil, without craft, without waste time, without nothing!

The Letter event on the first anniversary is the earliest event I can remember.

But the raid boss spawning event was the one I liked the most, it was pretty engaging, a complete polar opposite of the current afk event.

Later on there was that event where you used your Chronos weapon/musical instrument to bash pigs(?) for drops.

I also have vague memories of the Elpy hunting event a long time ago.

Master Yogi weapon event, very exciting and stressful and surely addictive for people who love to enchant 

Elpy in fantasy isle finding Treasure chest with « bump » message around! One of the best for me, rewards were awesome back then i got a Dark stone i sold for 60M it was the best day of my L2 life ?

13 minutes ago, Karnz said:

The Letter event on the first anniversary is the earliest event I can remember.

But the raid boss spawning event was the one I liked the most, it was pretty engaging, a complete polar opposite of the current afk event.

Later on there was that event where you used your Chronos weapon/musical instrument to bash pigs(?) for drops.

I also have vague memories of the Elpy hunting event a long time ago.

3 minutes ago, Andouille said:

Master Yogi weapon event, very exciting and stressful and surely addictive for people who love to enchant 

Elpy in fantasy isle finding Treasure chest with « bump » message around! One of the best for me, rewards were awesome back then i got a Dark stone i sold for 60M it was the best day of my L2 life ?

Thank both of you for using this thread as a chance to talk about positive memories, as I intended, and not as yet another chance to complain, complain, complain.  Lord knows there are enough threads to complain in already.  (Although, to be fair, "I don't want any events at all" is a valid answer to my question. My fault, I guess.)

1 hour ago, Andouille said:

+1   Best event for me too !

1 minute ago, eDness said:

+1   Best event for me too !

Finding chests was easy, but too many people were pissed when you were opening chests where they had logged off. In fact, people who made most out of that event were reuse delay exploiters and should have been all banned.

the best event is the banning random people with no reason!! AWESOME!

It comes randomly to randomly people,dont be afraid,maybe the next its you, it is super fun

Don't forget to email support so you can be trolled by admins =))))))))))))))

14 hours ago, Medeoan said:

Problem is when the events upstage the very game they are a part of. Events in Lineage II have always been badly designed because they do just that. The current Halloween event is a classic case in point of how bad events in Lineage II generally are.

For all those who have gotten a top D weapon, grats to them. The impact to me is that it has made selling DSS as a warsmith main much easier. It has also made it easier for me to level up since other weapons, like Tarbars, have fallen in price and people I group with are generally able to do much better damage. This is great since a Warsmith is NOT a DPS. That said. . .

These events also have large negative impacts upon the game. People see those who are so fortunate and when their own fortunes do not follow suit, they become depressed. This leads people to quitting. It also unbalances and upsets the game economy and the sociopolitical dynamics of the servers in ways that can be highly unpredictable. This in turn leads more players into quitting. This makes the game dull and dead by perception. In video games, perception is 90% of a game's success.

Of course, things are not helped by NC Soft's continued short sightedness.

You could say the same thing about full item drops from mobs..... or really any drop that has high value.

Personally I liked the way old squash event. The oldschool letters event was fun too (prior to the l2store cash grab version).

18 hours ago, ZygiA said:

The old days had events too all the way back into beta... You know what really causes unbalances and inbalances(lol)? It's the CPs and the no lifers who only group together and the bots some of them run. They get so far out ahead that it throws everything out of whack.

There are always party poopers who are afraid something might end up being fun.

6 hours ago, Andouille said:

+1 This event saved me from blowing up many weapons since it released the need to blow stuff up.

Also my favorite event has to be the santa event. The one where santa would randomly visit you and then the evil Turkey would spawn and you had to defeat him to release santa.

Archived