Why I Quit Playing Lineage 2 In Less Than a Week

PorraCaralho

Greetings,

I know you're probably tired of reading yet another "I quit" thread (I know I am). Still, my reasons are a little different than what you usually read in this forum, so I think my thread holds merit.

When I heard they've launched L2 Classic (a week ago), I got ecstatic. The memories of adventure, camaraderie, grinding, and pvp'ing made me rush into Lineage2's website and download the game. I built my Human Fighter (soon to be Rogue/Hawkeye), hyped about what would be again, a magnificent gaming experience. My eyes watered when I heard Talking Island's theme, and saw so many players running around killing Elpies and Wolves.

I never knew how set up for disappointment I was, because:

• Quests ruin the starter (lvl 1-20) L2 experience - You're showered with experience, equipment, and soulshots at a very early rate. No one wants to play outside the questing areas because there's no point to. Nobody wants to party early on because the quest items will only go to whoever last hit the monsters. Nobody buys early gear because quests will give you enough items to reach lvl 20. People only grind outside the questing areas when they need to hit level 15 (so that they can keep questing). Every place outside the questing areas is void of life. The world feels empty.

• Halloween Event ruins the early (lvl 20-39) L2 experience - Instead of grinding, crafting, and playing the market, everybody is running multiple accounts and leaving AFK chars on cities, hoping to win a free D weapon. Everyone is running around with those stupid Halloween costumes, making it harder for you to PVP. You can't tell if your target is wearing a Composite Bow or a Light Crossbow, thanks to that costume. While the event ends today, that huge influx of free D weapons helped crash the market, making it even harder for regular players to grind for their items.

• Free teleporting - No one is taking their time to explore the beautiful world of Lineage 2. Players are just teleporting to the hottest grinding zones. There's no point in PK'ing someone who is in your farming spot because they can teleport back in seconds, while you'll have to kill 350 monsters to clear your karma (I know this ends today, but it sure left a sour mark on my leveling experience).

• Little/no player interaction (BIGGEST OFFENDER) - Nobody makes groups early on, because questing and dual-boxing are more rewarding. Nobody talks to anyone, because everyone is self-sufficient early on. Nobody PVPs or PKs, as they're too focused on grinding. The only invitations for grouping I've seen were for RBs and AOE parties. The only message that came out of another player was "rec plz". It feels like I'm playing a single-player RPG, as everyone around me is a mindless grinding bot.

That's it. I'm not even gonna talk about rates, because this subject was discussed to death already.

I miss making friends and enemies as I grind my way out of Talking Island.

I miss the small PVP actions we'd take outside the cities' gates, whenever we got tired of grinding.

I miss interacting with the dozens of humans also waiting for the boat to take them to Gludin Village.

I miss seeing a random schmuck with a red name being chased by five other players.

I miss that livid Lineage 2 world.

At the peak of my insatisfaction and boredom with this game, I ran a killing spree on Ruins of Despair. As a lvl 21 Human Rogue, wearing a wooden set of armor and wielding a Composite Bow, I've killed exactly 41 players and died 0 times. Out of these 41 players, only 10 fought back. No one hunted me. No one whispered me to smear the honor of my mother. They all just silently ressed and got back into mindlessly grinding mobs.

While NCSoft did its part to hurt the classic Lineage 2 experience, the community made me quit the game.

P.S - As soon as someone replies to this thread, I'm dropping my Composite Bow and 290k adena, somewhere on Ruins of Despair. Maybe that will motivate some of you guys to do something else other than mindlessly grinding monsters.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, PorraCaralho said:

Greetings,

I know you're probably tired of reading yet another "I quit" thread (I know I am). Still, my reasons are a little different than what you usually read in this forum, so I think my thread holds merit.

When I heard they've launched L2 Classic (a week ago), I got ecstatic. The memories of adventure, camaraderie, grinding, and pvp'ing made me rush into Lineage2's website and download the game.

I built my Human Fighter (soon to be Rogue/Hawkeye), hyped about what would be again, a magnificent gaming experience. I never knew how wrong I was, because:

• Quests ruin the starter (lvl 1-20) L2 experience - You're showered with experience, equipment, and soulshots at a very early rate. No one wants to play outside the questing areas because there's no point to. Nobody wants to party early on because the quest items will only go to whoever last hit the monsters. Nobody buys early gear because quests will give you enough items to reach lvl 20. People only grind outside the questing areas when they need to hit level 15 (so that they can keep questing). Every place outside the questing areas is void of life. The world feels empty.

• Halloween Event ruins the early (lvl 20-39) L2 experience - Instead of grinding, crafting, and playing the market, everybody is running multiple accounts and leaving AFK chars on cities, hoping to win a free D weapon. Everyone is running around with those stupid Halloween costumes, making it harder for you to PVP. You can't tell if your target is wearing a Composite Bow or a Light Crossbow, thanks to that costume. While the event ends today, that huge influx of free D weapons helped crash the market, making it even harder for regular players to grind for their items.

• Free teleporting - No one is taking their time to explore the beautiful world of Lineage 2. Players are just teleporting to the hottest grinding zones. There's no point in PK'ing someone who is in your farming spot because they can teleport back in seconds, while you'll have to kill 350 monsters to clear your karma (I know this ends today, but it sure left a sour mark on my leveling experience).

• Little/no player interaction (BIGGEST OFFENDER) - Nobody makes groups early on, because questing and dual-boxing are more rewarding. Nobody talks to anyone, because everyone is self-sufficient early on. Nobody PVPs or PKs, as they're too focused on grinding. The only invitations for grouping I've seen were for RBs and AOE parties. The only message that came out of another player was "rec plz". It feels like I'm playing a single-player RPG, as eveyrone around me is a mindless grinding bot.

That's it. I'm not even gonna talk about rates, because this subject was discussed to death already.

I miss making friends and enemies as I grind my way out of Talking Island. I miss the small PVP actions we'd take outside the cities' gates, whenever we got tired of grinding. I miss interacting with the dozens of humans also waiting for the boat to take them to Gludin Village. I miss seeing a random schmuck with a red name being chased by five other players. I miss that livid Lineage 2 world, where you'd meet a player at every corner of the world. That random shout of someone being angry because they got killed by a player/monster, and the following remarks from other players.

At the peak of my insatisfaction and boredom with this game, I ran a killing spree on Ruins of Despair. As a lvl 21 Human Rogue, wearing a wooden set of armor and wielding a Composite Bow, I've killed exactly 41 players and died 0 times. Out of these 41 players, only 10 fought back. No one hunted me. No one whispered me to smear the honor of my mother. They all just silently ressed and got back into mindlessly grinding mobs.

While NCSoft did its part to hurt the classic Lineage 2 experience, the community is the real issue.

P.S - As soon as someone replies to this thread, I'm dropping my Composite Bow and 290k adena, somewhere on Ruins of Despair. Maybe that will motivate some of you guys to do something else other than mindlessly grinding monsters.

I agree with every word you wrote, I'm very patient, but will probably delete the game soon too : )

Dude, its been more than 12 years since we were kids , yeah? Those were different times.

Today, you can still find all of that which you are describing to have been missing.

I've thought the same thoughts, but found everything still existed. Yeah, 1-20 lvls are done in matters of hours and now the fun is at 35+ . 

Just now, ByStander said:

Dude, its been more than 12 years since we were kids , yeah? Those were different times.

Today, you can still find all of that which you are describing to have been missing.

I've thought the same thoughts, but found everything still existed. Yeah, 1-20 lvls are done in matters of hours and now the fun is at 35+ . 

What fun exactly? Doing AI daily, using the 3kk scrools and then leaving 4+ characters online with a hope of the box giving a D weapon? :D Ok, it's not that bad, but please, this is nothing like L2 used to be and tbh I am not sure if they intended for it to be that way lol. 

1 minute ago, Kraken said:

Which server? I need that comp bow and 290k adena. lol jk. 

Aden. I haven't even dropped it in somewhere that difficult, as I feel people are too busy grinding to notice something different than the next mob to kill.

1 minute ago, ByStander said:

I'm glad you had a better time than I did, but I don't feel like grinding to 35+ to start having fun.

1 minute ago, ZygiA said:

What fun exactly? Doing AI daily, using the 3kk scrools and then leaving 4+ characters online with a hope of the box giving a D weapon? :D Ok, it's not that bad, but please, this is nothing like L2 used to be and tbh I am not sure if they intended for it to be that way lol. 

by the way, Free D Grade weapons are done from now on. Also the real fun above 35+ is the 100 adena from 40+ mobs :D

1 minute ago, PorraCaralho said:

Aden. I haven't even dropped it in somewhere that difficult, as I feel people are too busy grinding to notice something different than the next mob to kill.

I'm glad you had a better time than I did, but I don't feel like grinding to 35+ to start having fun.

Well, you haven't dropped it yet, since servers are still down. 

quest ruin the start
takes 2 days get to lvl 20, as takes two days too get lvl 20 without quests

halloween event gave a lot of top d weapons but there is not anymore

free teleporting will be erased after server wake up

player interaction, yes you have, they call you botter, they insult you, and if they have the opportunity they bot reports you, if u are a human or not, they like do that

2 minutes ago, LinaInverse said:

Oh no, please don't go!! What are we going to do without you????????????????????????

Who are you again?

A nobody, who wanted to quit for different reasons than everyone else is quitting. People are quitting thanks to botched adena rates, I'm leaving because pre lvl 35, everyone treats this game like a single-player RPG.

4 minutes ago, LinaInverse said:

Oh no, please don't go!! What are we going to do without you????????????????????????

Who are you again?

You may be laughing, but the history repeats itself. The server will be full of bots and perhaps 500-700 actives, just like it was post-2008 if you played on retail back then. 

Archived