Swordsinger; Temple Knight

Harbinger14

During this wave of re-rolls I've been dinking around with a few ideas of what I might like to play.

I'm a Clan/Party oriented player, have a WC with all buffs at 48. Originally set out with a Tyrant.

I'm not looking for optimal play but would a Swordsinger be able to farm outside of party play well enough to make earnest Adena or farm for drops? Or are they too heavily dependent in comparison to a Blade Dancer?

My intent would be to assume the role of Tank or support at 40+ for my Clan provided each member continues moving towards 2nd Class Transfer. Any added insight as well would be amazing. There are possibly two other tanks in Clan that may or may not reach 40 before they get tuckered out. Haha

I have pretty much been a fan of both the Swordsinger and Temple Knight classes since Interlude (and played them both as main and sub at the same time) and for years I have battled with myself that they are unique in their own right, but at this point after 12 years I have finally come to terms and can admit that these classes are both in extremes when we talk about weak and strong points.

Swordsingers are the gem of any party and are generally party-support animals and can assume the tank role in a small party until you get to 49, while the other tanks in your clan catch up in levels to take over the role. At this level you also get Hunter's song which will let you duo with your WC easily if you ever need to break away from the party life. With a good dagger (say Dark Screamer?) you will maybe double up your DPS on solo hunting areas but not nearly as fast as BDs (BDs have tons of STR and debuffs to play with to optimize their damage potential). If you want to venture out in areas with x2 x3 HP mobs (like EV and TOI), Swordsingers cannot thrive alone or in a duo as main DD unless you join a party in a utility role (singing, supporting aggro from tanks, taking away the monsters' attention from healers and mages while tanks are busy with the core group of mobs). Being an elf which is a defensive class in nature lacking in offensive skills, coupled with racially low STR you're gonna have problems grinding solo and earning adena even with top tier weapons. But then again, parties cannot go long and deep in higher levels without a Swordsinger as parties are undoubtedly three times weaker without them (same goes for PVP).

Temple Knights are a rare breed and like swordsingers, it is always a pleasure to have one in your party let alone to see an active one in the entirety of a server's life. Temple Knights were once the kings and queens of shield defense amd AOE tanking (probably still are) until NCSoft decided to move the stat of shield defense from DEX to CON, but nonetheless are still the best tankers out there in my opinion. If you plan on purely tanking all the way to higher levels and not depend on your clanmates catching up, then TK is the one for you. But bear in mind that like all elves, a low STR stat will put you in a disadvantage in terms of damage (which you won't probably need as a tank in constant parties). TK is never meant to be a solo or farming toon and you will definitely have a nightmare-ish experience if you try to do that. In a party, TKs have two root skills (1 reliable and 1 unreliable) and self-heals to use (as much as your mana pool allows you) in case something goes wrong and healers need time to breathe before they can heal you, but other than being a tough bull to kill (and being the last one to die) there is not much more that you can offer in terms of damage.

Rerolling to any of these two classes seem like a 360 degree turn, far stretch from playing a Tyrant though, but another support or tank is always welcome in my party if not in the server. Good luck!

• Like 1

Loving that reply. 

I do like the Swordsinger and the Temple Knight too. And yeah, my elf knight is lv24 and is a little hell since we don't have stun or debuffs, only "white attacks" and a power strike lv9 xD. I don't decide yet between Temple Knight and Swordsinger, the first is a really cool tank, but in this server u must be able to solo or duo and the most demanded is the SWS.

I played Temple Knight before and I hated the experience of grinding solo, but I wwas able to reach level 81 before with the help of friends in constant parties/clan.

Though unlike other tanks who are more offensive, I fell in love with the TK when I started joining raids and PVP. The feeling of being able to take on a boss head-on, march towards a group of archers, or taking an enemy dagger's attention away from your healer knowing you can soak up as much damage and not die is so satisfying. Imagine how annoying it must be for those archers and daggers who fall under your distraction! In future patches TK/ET will get a pull skill so it will probably add to it's set of annoying-cancer skills.

I did SWS before as well and loved the thrill and anticipation of reaching a new level because you know you are getting a new song soon with each level-up. But through it all to levels 75+ it started to get boring for me as I just do songs, hit mobs for a few strikes --- rinse and repeat. Nothing very exciting tbh other than trying to be important in PVP. In PVP you are neither a primary target, nor the last on the target list or a DD, so you are most likely in the sidelines doing some extras after you finished singing. If you get to disable 3-4 people with Song of Silence though, then that changes the story.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 21/11/2018 at 2:59 PM, Bloodshy said:

I have pretty much been a fan of both the Swordsinger and Temple Knight classes since Interlude (and played them both as main and sub at the same time) and for years I have battled with myself that they are unique in their own right, but at this point after 12 years I have finally come to terms and can admit that these classes are both in extremes when we talk about weak and strong points.

Swordsingers are the gem of any party and are generally party-support animals and can assume the tank role in a small party until you get to 49, while the other tanks in your clan catch up in levels to take over the role. At this level you also get Hunter's song which will let you duo with your WC easily if you ever need to break away from the party life. With a good dagger (say Dark Screamer?) you will maybe double up your DPS on solo hunting areas but not nearly as fast as BDs (BDs have tons of STR and debuffs to play with to optimize their damage potential). If you want to venture out in areas with x2 x3 HP mobs (like EV and TOI), Swordsingers cannot thrive alone or in a duo as main DD unless you join a party in a utility role (singing, supporting aggro from tanks, taking away the monsters' attention from healers and mages while tanks are busy with the core group of mobs). Being an elf which is a defensive class in nature lacking in offensive skills, coupled with racially low STR you're gonna have problems grinding solo and earning adena even with top tier weapons. But then again, parties cannot go long and deep in higher levels without a Swordsinger as parties are undoubtedly three times weaker without them (same goes for PVP).

Temple Knights are a rare breed and like swordsingers, it is always a pleasure to have one in your party let alone to see an active one in the entirety of a server's life. Temple Knights were once the kings and queens of shield defense amd AOE tanking (probably still are) until NCSoft decided to move the stat of shield defense from DEX to CON, but nonetheless are still the best tankers out there in my opinion. If you plan on purely tanking all the way to higher levels and not depend on your clanmates catching up, then TK is the one for you. But bear in mind that like all elves, a low STR stat will put you in a disadvantage in terms of damage (which you won't probably need as a tank in constant parties). TK is never meant to be a solo or farming toon and you will definitely have a nightmare-ish experience if you try to do that. In a party, TKs have two root skills (1 reliable and 1 unreliable) and self-heals to use (as much as your mana pool allows you) in case something goes wrong and healers need time to breathe before they can heal you, but other than being a tough bull to kill (and being the last one to die) there is not much more that you can offer in terms of damage.

Rerolling to any of these two classes seem like a 360 degree turn, far stretch from playing a Tyrant though, but another support or tank is always welcome in my party if not in the server. Good luck!

Well,i am in the same boat as the OP user. I am undecided to which 2 class change my elven knight. I play solo and i search for partyes for lvl up...i really like to are in partyes. I do not like to be the "capitain of the party" so maybe the choice i must do is swordsinger?

• 4 weeks later...

I was the ET hero on Sieghardt/Sayha for 14 months...but a lot of the things that made me unstoppable have long since been retired from the game.  (On YouTube, there's a random fraps of me being chased by 53 war tags the entire way from Golkonda, down ToI, and past the bend at Giran...killed 20 or so of them before they finally decided to stop chasing me.)

I had the highest level wolf in the world (84) at the time of my retirement so THAT is where I was getting my damage from but now that pets are cut out from Classic I needed to make up the rest of that 9k p.atk so I have 6 boxed accounts instead of just a single SE box.

TK is extremely rewarding but is one of the most gear-intensive classes in the game because you not only need to have the best armor out there but also a top-notch weapon to try to keep up with all of the damage from the ludicrous amounts of dps that was allowed in to this game via the ptw mechanics.

SWS would be my recommendation because you could wear 3 pieces of Doom Robe and 3 pieces of BW Robe and have MASSIVE MP regen and get yourself an even more massive 2hand sword and the only thing you'll have to worry about is AoE damage until well into your late 70s...all of your utility comes from your songs.  Obviously, don't wear Robe in PVP, though.