Jump to content
Forums

Recommended Posts

Free-to-play

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
 
 
Jump to navigationJump to search
This article is about the business model for video games. For business models other than for games, see freemium. For the Dota 2 film, see Free to Play (film).

Free-to-play (F2P or FtP) video games, also known as free-to-start,[1] are games that give players access to full content without paying. When a game requires the user to invest money to have an advantage or continue the game, it can not be qualified as free-to-play.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, ragingducks said:

As you can read from Wikipedia, this game does not qualify as free-to-play as it gives an advantage to paying players.

You didn't read well. "When a game requires the user to invest money to have an advantage " No one's required.

 

Those people buying XP-boost stuff are crippled by their jobs. They can play 1-3 hours while teens can 6-9+. So what they're doing is compensating. It's a crutch.

Even if the those playing 9+ hours decide to pay for VIP there's still many variables that can balance out that "advantage".

Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, Slher said:

You didn't read well. "When a game requires the user to invest money to have an advantage " No one's required.

 

Those people buying XP-boost stuff are crippled by their jobs. They can play 1-3 hours while teens can 6-9+. So what they're doing is compensating. It's a crutch.

Even if the those playing 9+ hours decide to pay for VIP there's still many variables that can balance out that "advantage".

YOU dont get it. I AM requiered. Or can you farm the VIP-Status ingame without paying money? Can you gain NcCoinsstore only equipment due playing ? No you cant.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tinuphyl said:

YOU dont get it. I AM requiered. Or can you farm the VIP-Status ingame without paying money? Can you gain NcCoinsstore only equipment due playing ? No you cant.

As I explained, that's not even a real advantage. And people who buy VIP don't buy it for their alternative accounts since it gets expensive on them. And we can play with 3 accounts. What happens is that their Alts stay behind. And we want them to buy VIP, otherwise the server will most likely close down. And what "equipment" are you talking about? There's cosmetics there and consumables whose effect you can acquire outside of the Store.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Slher said:

As I explained, that's not even a real advantage. And people who buy VIP don't buy it for their alternative accounts since it gets expensive on them. And we can play with 3 accounts. What happens is that their Alts stay behind. And we want them to buy VIP, otherwise the server will most likely close down. And what "equipment" are you talking about? There's cosmetics there and consumables whose effect you can acquire outside of the Store.

You are aware that even back in the days people bought 7 accounts? When L2 startet you had to pay for every account monthly. There were people havin over 10 accounts, each 30€ a month. So yeah, so much for not paying VIP for alts. There are A HELL LOT of people throwing in 400 Dollar a month for 3 full VIP 4 chars ^^ And no, you dont get 40% exp scroll outside the store, or "unlimited, as far as your credit card burns" buffscrolls, or EXP Runes, Soulshots (even if its useless, but you can save adena by paying real money). Simple as that.

Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Tinuphyl said:

You are aware that even back in the days people bought 7 accounts? When L2 startet you had to pay for every account monthly. There were people havin over 10 accounts, each 30€ a month. So yeah, so much for not paying VIP for alts. There are A HELL LOT of people throwing in 400 Dollar a month for 3 full VIP 4 chars ^^ And no, you dont get 40% exp scroll outside the store, or "unlimited, as far as your credit card burns" buffscrolls, or EXP Runes, Soulshots (even if its useless, but you can save adena by paying real money). Simple as that.

How GOOD that there are some people that find worth spending that much. It contributes to the longevity of the server. Also, do you know that you most likely won't even meet them in any situation in the game? (And characters can delevel.) Dude, you get the effects of the buff scrolls in the game, so you're not required to buy from the Store. Lol, indirectly you get "40% XP scroll" simply by being able to play longer or more efficiently than the other guy. Some classes are better in PvE than others (more adena, more XP), but players don't mind not playing them, even thought it'd mean faster progression, since they don't prefer them.

Link to post
Share on other sites

This is an mmo that has adapt to essentially what, in my opinion, is the go to model for mobile gaming: free to play with micro transactions for cosmetics and convenience. Please do not jump to a conclusion because you're frustrated. The main argument for it not being F2P are the xp scrolls/runes. This is a CONVENIENCE. It provides an alternative to grinding longer but is not a necessity to progress in the game. Some one having more time than you does not mean it's not F2P. Suck it up.

 

On to your main point, the "GMs" that are on the forums are community managers for ALL ncsoft games. They don't have authority to change stuff in game. They keep things civil in here and relay info to and from us. I highly suggest everyone use the support ticket system for 90% of the problems I see here. All of my tickets have been answered in a timely manner, probably because I knew who to direct my issue to. 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

"F2P" is a business model when company receives much higher profit than in "P2P" business model.

In general, most of the players pay 30+ euro a month, while some spend 100+ euro to cover multiple accounts.

This level of expenses for players and profits for company implies that there should be adequate level of service.

It is not a project run by volunteers. So guys raise up and stop being exploited like cattle, you have your rights.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

I can't believe people are actually defending everything that stands as NCWest, a company making tons of $ and providing less that free service saying "yeah, take it chill, it's free to play". I don't know how you can even raise an issue on this forum without being shit on by others that have little to no stake in it. I fail to understand why the 1st comment of any of the x topics is "yeah, you clearly botted, stay banned", "all is ok, farm more", "it's f2p, nobody is forced to answer your tickets".

I haven't seen any F2P service NOT tending to the basic customer support, most of them are better with free users because those are the ones who convert to premium or buy other services.

I haven't been banned or "suffered" as much because i shrugged it off and continued playing only how i like, didn't pay for what i didn't like and here i am today. But i'm not playing as actively or paying for anything anymore because all i see is people leaving, so why play 10-11hrs or get a new rune or w/e if i don't see most players enjoying the game or risk being banned. So for some players, entering game, pressing some buttons and not expecting to even play the next day or have make any friends that they could see ingame the next game, it's just as enjoyable as a single-player with some of the NPCs moving more chaotically, most of the people here want to avoid that.

Edited by Starsong
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, ragingducks said:

As you can read from Wikipedia, this game does not qualify as free-to-play as it gives an advantage to paying players.

Can anyone name any game that would meet that free-to-play definition?  Companies are in business to make money from the games.  Why would players spend money if they did not gain advantage?  In any case, everyone knows how NCWest does F2P from the live servers.  Anyone who expected anything else once they announced Classic would be F2P was only kidding themselves.  You can play for free or you can pay for advantages.  That was completely predictable and has worked out exactly that way.  As for the support, I agree with the OP, but, yes, it is a holiday in the US so it's no surprise support is taking the day off.  

Two old sayings -- There is no such thing as a free lunch.  If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, ragingducks said:

Guild Wars 2.

Thanks for the reply.  I'm not familiar with the game but their wiki lists the following restrictions on free-to-play players:

Free accounts[edit]

3 of 5 character slots locked out

Free accounts have a number of additional restrictions placed on them, with the intent of preventing malicious persons from using them to disrupt the game and to encourage purchase of the game.

Initial character slots (2). The other 3 of 5 initial slots are blocked.

Bag slots per character (3), 20 Slot Starter Bag plus 2 expansion slots, initially empty.

Maps and Content — starter maps only until character level 10; Lion's Arch unlocked at character level 35.

In-game message is: "You must be level 35 to enter this area. You can open your map by pressing M and travel to other starting zones. Upgrade your account by purchasing Heart of Thorns to access this area immediately."

There is one waypoint in every starting area automatically available for transport before level 35.

In-game mail limited to mutual friends; prohibits sending coin and items, but they can both be received.

Guild hall features: Guild Vault and Guild Enhancements are unavailable, but full access to all other guild features.

Chats available:

Players cannot use map chat, but can see it.

Whisper chat is limited to mutual friends and people in the same map. Mentors can talk to players via whisper.

Players cannot use custom emotes. (/e, /me, etc., but can still use emotes such as /talk, /dance, etc.)

Squad chat unlocked at character level 30.

PvP unlocked at level 3.

PvP chat — team chat available; PvP Lobby chat unlocked at PvP Rank 20; emotes, map chat, and say chat disabled during matches

Looking For Group unlocked at character level 30

World versus World unlocked at character level 60

Login rewards unavailable

Gem Store limited to items usable by free accounts

Currency Exchange — gems to gold exchange available, gold to gems exchange unavailable

Trading Post is limited to items from a selected list (will be grayed-out with a locked symbol in the lower-left corner if not allowed), which are as follows:fine, masterwork, rare and exotic crafted armor, crafted weapons (including Primordus weapons) and trinkets, but only:

Single attribute: Mighty, Precise, Resilient, Vital, Malign, Healing

Dual attribute: Hearty, Honed, Hunter's, Ravaging, Rejuvenating, Strong, Vigorous

Triple attribute: Apothecary's, Assassin's, Berserker's, Carrion, Cleric's, Knight's, Rampager's, Valkyrie

orbs, crystals, shards etc. with the above-mentioned stats (incl. Passion Flower)

Agony Infusions

unrefined common crafting materials (no pigments)

fine crafting materials: blood, bones, claws, dust, fangs, scales, totems, venom sacs, karka shells, watchwork sprockets

nearly all cooking materials

some food and utilities: Plate of Truffle Steak, Bowl of Lemongrass Poultry Soup, Bowl of Poultry and Leek Soup, Orange Cake, Mango Pie, Glazed Peach Tart, Strawberry Ghost, Master Tuning Crystal, Superior Sharpening Stone, Master Maintenance Oil

Globs of Ectoplasm, Mystic Coins, Quartz Crystals, Pieces of Ambrite

Unidentified Dyes

Trick-or-Treat Bags

Giant Dusty Wintersday Gifts

Black Lion Chests

some bags: 10 Slot Thin Leather Pack, 15 Slot Rugged Leather Pack, 18 Slot Mithril Box, 18 Slot Silk Bag, 18 Slot Thick Leather Pack

Transferring to different worlds is unavailable, except through customer service. (Customer service will, as a one-time service, assist Play4Free players who initially chose the wrong server.)

Official forum posting unavailable

 

I don't know what many of these things are, but being able to have more characters, not getting login rewards, not being able to use all gems or exchange gold to gems and not being able to buy all items in the store would seem to provide some advantages to the paying players.  Remember, the definition that has to be met says, "When a game requires the user to invest money to have an advantage or continue the game, it can not be qualified as free-to-play."  It looks a lot like players are required to invest money to have certain advantages even in Guild Wars 2.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Real Lineage 2 is something that people want to pay for. This is proven by the fact that we are paying for VIP so we can log in to the fake version of the game we loved.

 

Holidays have always been the most likely time for rule breaking. 10 straight hours of no mods is not acceptable and outright stupid for a forum of 1000+ members. Every clan in the game that has their own forum would have handled that guy sooner.

 

Defend a company when their actions are worth defending. There should never be even a 15 minute gap in time where there are no access to mods on a 24/7 service used by over 1000 people.

 

 

2 hours ago, Lawman said:

Can anyone name any game that would meet that free-to-play definition?  Companies are in business to make money from the games.  Why would players spend money if they did not gain advantage?  In any case, everyone knows how NCWest does F2P from the live servers.  Anyone who expected anything else once they announced Classic would be F2P was only kidding themselves.  You can play for free or you can pay for advantages.  That was completely predictable and has worked out exactly that way.  As for the support, I agree with the OP, but, yes, it is a holiday in the US so it's no surprise support is taking the day off.  

Two old sayings -- There is no such thing as a free lunch.  If something sounds too good to be true, it probably is.

 

Dota 2. you pay for esport team hype and cosmetic items. you can gain nothing of statistical ingame value match regardless of how much you pay.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...