Jump to content

Recommended Posts

DonnieBlunt    10
On 1/10/2019 at 4:53 PM, Jelly said:

i already got account banned (at least was new and low lvl), 1 of 8 accounts that i have. Never installed anything on my pc besides the L2 client, so you got no point

If what u r saying is true, then i have no point. I guess u will have to annoy support till they answer  properly, but that, most likely, won't happen.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wakai    0

Let's draw a distinction between memory on disk (= C:/path/to/l2/folder) and memory in RAM (= running l2.bin application).

Unless contents of a given file on disk are loaded into l2.bin they can't have an effect on the game. So what happens when l2.bin tries to load, let's say, some settings.ini file that contains the max camera zoom? At a high level,

  1. l2.bin determines the path of the required file (= C:/path/to/l2/folder/settings.ini)
  2. l2.bin sends a 'read file' request to Windows to retrieve the contents of the file at that path
  3. If Windows finds the file and l2.bin has a 'read' permission for that file, Windows provides the file contents to l2.bin. Otherwise, the request fails and l2.bin has to try again
  4. Upon success, a copy of the contents of settings.ini (or some portion of it) is now a part of l2.bin's memory.
  5. Let's say those contents are 'key=value' pairs separated by new lines, like
    1. Quote

      ...

      minCameraZoom=100

      maxCameraZoom=1000

      haveMercy=false

      ...

  6. l2.bin knows (from its code and current state of execution) which keys it needs, which in our case is min/maxCameraZoom. So it looks through the contents and if it finds them, it saves the values.
  7. Let's say l2.bin has in memory that current cameraZoom=950 (this is the value that determines what you see).
  8. Now you use the scroll wheel on your mouse and l2.bin receives a request to increase cameraZoom by delta = 100
  9. l2.bin sets the value of cameraZoom = minimum(cameraZoom + delta, maxCameraZoom), which in this case, = minimum(950 + 100, 1000) = 1000
  10. when l2.bin generates a new graphics frame (frame as in FPS), the contents will be based on cameraZoom.

These steps are, of course, extremely simplified.

1 hour ago, DonnieBlunt said:

Also u say that modifications don't change memory, but how do u get zoom increae without changing the memory of the official file? 

Changing contents of settings.ini would have an effect through step 4, but that's not the only way of affecting cameraZoom. Here are others:

  • You could change the memory of l2.bin so that it thinks the correct path to look for is C:/path/to/my/hacked/settings.ini. (step 1)
  • You could patch Windows itself so that when C:/path/to/l2/folder/settings.ini is requested, Windows provides C:/path/to/my/hacked/settings.ini instead. (step 2)
  • You could use 3rd party software to modify the code in l2.bin's memory and get rid of the section where the check is done (step 9) and instead put cameraZoom = cameraZoom + delta. (step 9)

None of these require changing C:/path/to/l2/folder/settings.ini and all of them would have the same outcome. Some of the differences are difficulty and reliance on version of l2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DonnieBlunt    10
On 2019-01-12 at 5:23 PM, wakai said:

Let's draw a distinction between memory on disk (= C:/path/to/l2/folder) and memory in RAM (= running l2.bin application).

Unless contents of a given file on disk are loaded into l2.bin they can't have an effect on the game. So what happens when l2.bin tries to load, let's say, some settings.ini file that contains the max camera zoom? At a high level,

  1. l2.bin determines the path of the required file (= C:/path/to/l2/folder/settings.ini)
  2. l2.bin sends a 'read file' request to Windows to retrieve the contents of the file at that path
  3. If Windows finds the file and l2.bin has a 'read' permission for that file, Windows provides the file contents to l2.bin. Otherwise, the request fails and l2.bin has to try again
  4. Upon success, a copy of the contents of settings.ini (or some portion of it) is now a part of l2.bin's memory.
  5. Let's say those contents are 'key=value' pairs separated by new lines, like
    1.  
  6. l2.bin knows (from its code and current state of execution) which keys it needs, which in our case is min/maxCameraZoom. So it looks through the contents and if it finds them, it saves the values.
  7. Let's say l2.bin has in memory that current cameraZoom=950 (this is the value that determines what you see).
  8. Now you use the scroll wheel on your mouse and l2.bin receives a request to increase cameraZoom by delta = 100
  9. l2.bin sets the value of cameraZoom = minimum(cameraZoom + delta, maxCameraZoom), which in this case, = minimum(950 + 100, 1000) = 1000
  10. when l2.bin generates a new graphics frame (frame as in FPS), the contents will be based on cameraZoom.

These steps are, of course, extremely simplified.

Changing contents of settings.ini would have an effect through step 4, but that's not the only way of affecting cameraZoom. Here are others:

  • You could change the memory of l2.bin so that it thinks the correct path to look for is C:/path/to/my/hacked/settings.ini. (step 1)
  • You could patch Windows itself so that when C:/path/to/l2/folder/settings.ini is requested, Windows provides C:/path/to/my/hacked/settings.ini instead. (step 2)
  • You could use 3rd party software to modify the code in l2.bin's memory and get rid of the section where the check is done (step 9) and instead put cameraZoom = cameraZoom + delta. (step 9)

None of these require changing C:/path/to/l2/folder/settings.ini and all of them would have the same outcome. Some of the differences are difficulty and reliance on version of l2.

That's pretty much creating third party software tho. Even if u don't change official files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
RickRoss    20

3 friends started to play few days ago(2 mages and elf fighter). We supported them with NG/D weps. 2 mages ~25 lvl are banned for real money trade and admins refuse to answer anymore after their deep investigation :D Elf tank is ~30 with cursed mangauche waiting for his ban also :D This is becoming shitshow :D

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
wakai    0
17 hours ago, DonnieBlunt said:

That's pretty much creating third party software tho. Even if u don't change official files.

You are correct in the sense that it is a piece of software, it was created by a third party and it affects the game. But l2 rules of conduct say this:

Quote

9. YOU MAY NOT MODIFY ANY PART OF THE LINEAGE II CLIENT, SERVER, OR ANY PART OF THE OFFICIAL LINEAGE II WEBSITE.

21. YOU MAY NOT USE ANY THIRD-PARTY PROGRAM (SUCH AS A "BOT") IN ORDER TO AUTOMATE GAMEPLAY FUNCTIONS, INCLUDING PLAYING, CHATTING, INTERACTING OR GATHERING ITEMS WITHIN LINEAGE II. YOU MAY NOT ASSIST, RELAY OR STORE ITEMS FOR OTHER PLAYERS WHO ARE USING THESE PROCESSES.

So they refer to third-party programs as a separate category from game modifications.

The reason why this matters is when they list 3rd party software as ban reason, they most likely mean #21 only.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beatricea    10

are people still being unreasonably banned?  and if so, why are bots still rampant on the servers? 

@NcsoftFTW y'all need to bring in live GM's and pay attention to who's getting banned.  bots are so easy to spot and they are still everywhere!

Edited by Beatricea

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
DonnieBlunt    10
4 hours ago, wakai said:

You are correct in the sense that it is a piece of software, it was created by a third party and it affects the game. But l2 rules of conduct say this:

So they refer to third-party programs as a separate category from game modifications.

The reason why this matters is when they list 3rd party software as ban reason, they most likely mean #21 only.

Argument too strong. I have nothing to add.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mach5    4
3 hours ago, Beatricea said:

are people still being unreasonably banned?  and if so, why are bots still rampant on the servers? 

@NcsoftFTW y'all need to bring in live GM's and pay attention to who's getting banned.  bots are so easy to spot and they are still everywhere!

Our wc and bp had their accounts locked this morning I think. I suspect it was from using a vpn in order to play for the last few days since I think they were the only two in our group that were affected by the login issue. Either that or NC isn't a fan of you using an oop buffer to level alt characters as that was what one of them was doing last night when he was playing last.

The hundreds of elf summoners scattered across the newbie zones must not be conspicuous enough for them to ban. That and the destroyer on our server that has been botting in DV with a +17 claymore for the past 2 weeks.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beatricea    10
On 1/14/2019 at 5:56 PM, Mach5 said:

Our wc and bp had their accounts locked this morning I think. I suspect it was from using a vpn in order to play for the last few days since I think they were the only two in our group that were affected by the login issue. Either that or NC isn't a fan of you using an oop buffer to level alt characters as that was what one of them was doing last night when he was playing last.

The hundreds of elf summoners scattered across the newbie zones must not be conspicuous enough for them to ban. That and the destroyer on our server that has been botting in DV with a +17 claymore for the past 2 weeks.

one person in my clan was banned from the game for using inappropriate language with a GM in a private ticket.  14 days.  ridiculous.

a second clan member was banned and has now waited 48 hours for a response to his ticket asking why.

bots are still rampant throughout the servers.  nothing has been done about them.  NCSoft is unresponsive as to any timeline.  they simply say they understand our frustration and to please bear with them and they appreciate our patience.

@NcsoftFTW is quick to ban legitimate players who have not committed any in-game infractions, and refuse to respond timely to reasonable requests asking why, yet bots still rule the realm.  NCSoft says they take botting seriously.  all i can say is, i agree, they do.  bots net them some amount of income which buys bot immunity.  NCSoft takes that income seriously.

i defy any NCSoft staff member to refute this. i demand NCSoft give its community a timeline of its progress in banning bots.  i further demand that NCSoft change its policy of ban first, ask questions later.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
verloren    6
50 minutes ago, Beatricea said:

one person in my clan was banned from the game for using inappropriate language with a GM in a private ticket.  14 days.  ridiculous.

a second clan member was banned and has now waited 48 hours for a response to his ticket asking why.

bots are still rampant throughout the servers.  nothing has been done about them.  NCSoft is unresponsive as to any timeline.  they simply say they understand our frustration and to please bear with them and they appreciate our patience.

@NcsoftFTW is quick to ban legitimate players who have not committed any in-game infractions, and refuse to respond timely to reasonable requests asking why, yet bots still rule the realm.  NCSoft says they take botting seriously.  all i can say is, i agree, they do.  bots net them some amount of income which buys bot immunity.  NCSoft takes that income seriously.

i defy any NCSoft staff member to refute this. i demand NCSoft give its community a timeline of its progress in banning bots.  i further demand that NCSoft change its policy of ban first, ask questions later.

i dont know how are u not banned ...if it were me that said that i would be banned for 3 days or more ...everytime i say something in the forums about this i get banned 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Beatricea    10
10 hours ago, verloren said:

i dont know how are u not banned ...if it were me that said that i would be banned for 3 days or more ...everytime i say something in the forums about this i get banned 

for all i know i could be banned.  i don't really care.

banning people in-game for sharing the truth and demanding answers in the forum is cowardly in my opinion.  no stand-up company is going to ban first and ask questions later the way this company does.  how they get away with it is beyond me.  how they manage to not really communicate with us is an art form.  what are the forums for if not to communicate?  and how many complaints is it going to take before they get off their duff and fix the problems?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
verloren    6
7 hours ago, Beatricea said:

for all i know i could be banned.  i don't really care.

banning people in-game for sharing the truth and demanding answers in the forum is cowardly in my opinion.  no stand-up company is going to ban first and ask questions later the way this company does.  how they get away with it is beyond me.  how they manage to not really communicate with us is an art form.  what are the forums for if not to communicate?  and how many complaints is it going to take before they get off their duff and fix the problems?

well bro i has been silenced by them alot of time i dont know why but w.e i suppose we shouldnt be asking to fix anything since all its good ..thats what i  think 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Villam    0
On 12/13/2018 at 9:13 PM, Pachu said:

I have the same problem my friend, NCSoft is too strict with bots, so much that sometimes block the wrong acount ;(

i did everithing for recover my account but by the sistem rules that is imposible.

My sugestion is about your behavior in game, you do not be sistematic in your game, if you dont they will confuse you with a bot

"too strict with bots" is laughable.... My friend also got banned for using third party botting software which was not the case. He did not use any 3rd party software and was no different to any one else running multiple boxes. Ncsoft refused to undo the ban. That said, I can't walk through a zone without seeing a dozen bot parties running around for hours. You can easily identify bot parties by how they behave. I like to do what I call bot fishing. You pull agro on their targeted mob and watch the entire train chase after it for a good 5 minutes before it drops target finally. Their software for identify bots is clearly flawed. Bots run rampant in the game and nothing happens. I'll report the bots that endlessly follow a mob I pulled agro on, still seem them botting away endlessly 3 weeks later. 

I'm guessing their currently flawed software for catching bots first checks to see the accounts vip status. Most bots send money on vip status, they can't ban away their best revenue generating player base. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×