To Duelist or Not to Duelist? That Is the Question!

LongJabber

Returning to the game for the summer and considering playing a class that I haven't really played before. That leaves me with DK, Duelist, Doombringer, Maestro and the Healer classes to choose from, but I'm leaning Duelist, since I can just reuse my Tauti dual blunts from my buffer  and +7 Leviathon set from my archer. I may need to sell some things from those characters to equip the new alt, but I'll be in the low to mid-tier range to start with plans of investing more as events allow.

Are Duelist pretty good at high levels single and aoe PVE? I don't expect to get higher than maybe 110 - 112 this year, but want a fighting chance. 

For weapons, can I manage with the Tauti blunts/exalted dualsword through 110? For dream goals, I want to work towards a Stage 1, or +21 limited weapon in the future, but for now I will add other items (talismans, artifacts, dyes, skill enchant, etc.) to make up for what I lack. 

Appreciate everyone's input.

you do not need a +21 or DW in the beginning, there are so many items you need before that.

Yes highly enchanted weapons are available, so do DW but, you need to be able to use said weapons! let me explain.

Currently there are 59 different slots you need to fill as a player starting from 0. That is very very hard, you either need a lot of time or a lot of money and even if you have enough to spend, getting that kind of weapon will not make your toon strong.

If you have played before, then you know most of the gear is upgradable, e.g you get a kaliels bracelet, get it to +5, use Crystal of dawn to upgrade to greater, get to +5, use crystal of dawn, get it to Top Kaliels bracelet etc... with that in mind and having to equip so many items, here is what I would suggest

get a blessed exalted set from the set you can keep the circlet, agathion bracelet, ring (15% p skill/m crit and p crit dmg) and necklace (10% reuse and 5% patk).

You could get the heavy armor as well and get it to +10 until you hit 110 ( but read below)

Here is a list of items and their  value ( prices may vary)

Brooch - keep the free one for now.
G Ruby is 95-105b
G Red Cat is 100-110b
G opal 110b (if you can afford it)
keep the lv3 opal and the lv3 diamond

Greater Kaliels bracelet ( 3% patk/matk/pdef/mdef) can be augumented, for patk/p skill power (stones from drops)
Insanity is a must 15b ( 3% cooldown 5% skill power)
7 signs is also a must ( pdef./mdef and 50 element attack combined with insanity)
You get a "free" sayha talisman 
+12 venir, to activate the effects of the sayha talisman
Protection talisman 6-7,  15-20ish pdef/mdef + element proteciton

If you use the blessed exalted bracelet, you get +5% pdef/mdef/patk/matk and 1 slot, no augument.
get a +7 leo for a total of 12% patk ( agathion and bracelet)
Unless you can afford lv3 seed talisman, 35b, 4 slots, 50 element attack, can be augumented (stones from drops)
+7/+8 leo 15ish bil
+7/+8 cancer 15ish bil
+7/+8 aries 15ish bil
maybe anakim 10b +30 element attack or taurus +8 15ish bil to be more tanky

for artifact book, just buy a +5 top, the +100 element attack and defense is huge, can be augumented (stones from drops)
3x +4 red artifacts ( patk/skill power/skill crit)
2x +4 blue artifacts( pdef/element resist)
the rest can be +0 to fill in the slots

at the moment CoC/Rulers belts are super expensive, try to get a chef monkey belt for 10-12b (unless an event comes rulers are around 16bil)

Cloak +10 should be a must cuz you simply cannot buy it +7 and make it +10 later on! ~ 200bil

Armor ( 5 parts) and sigil can now have soul crytsals, sigil can also have element R110 sigil can get 3x180 element!
This is where you make the decision based on what you can afford!
+10 R99 light  100-110b or +8 R110 light 150ish bil. (personally, I would go for R110 since element is not so cheap to get, while there are plenty of items that give pdef)

Shirt, grab a Rind shirt and leave it at +0 45-55bil, you should only care about the stats and the ability to augument it (up to 15% p skill crit, stones from ingame drops)
keep the blessed exalted set for now , circlets usually cost anywhere from 85b and above.

there are still SA's for the weapon, earrings and another right, rougly another 50-55bil.

this is the gear that you need for any DD class and will barely get you 110, if you choose an AOE class, this gear might not even be enough. I have a side project, an evis that can farm efficiently in areas of its level and or above its level with 1/3 of the gear mentioned, currently 111, farms in lvl 114 area, something impossible for any other class with the equivalent amount of gear. ( maybe a Fortune Seeker, can match that)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Connex. Thanks for the details.

I restarted leveling with an duelist and just got to 105. Tried the daily + time limited instances, but the damage with rather low. Tried the rim kameloka and could get an F rating. My gear is blessed exalted and few lvl 4 jewels..

what from the above should I start with ?? I am planning to buy exalted weapon scrolls and enhance to 21.. but not sure, what to go afterwards..

thanks for the help