Remembering 9/11/2001

Infid3l

I know this could be a touchy subject with some people, but today is the 20th anniversary of the attack on the United States. Internet gaming was in it’s infancy, I think I may have just got access to broadband (b4 that we used dial-up). I was playing a game called Rogue Spear and a Half-Life mod called Counter-Strike. My clan consisted of people all of the US. 12 of which resided in the NYC area.  

I had 2 jobs at the time, 3rd shift and 1st shift. I lived in a quiet little town in Wisconsin. After leaving my 3rd shift job, I had time to go home for a 2 hour nap.  My wife started calling me nonstop and after the 3rd of fourth attempt I answered and she told me to “turn on the news.” There was footage of the WTC building burning with a hole in the side of it. They thought at the time a small aircraft had accidentally hit the tower.  As I watched the 2nd plane hit tower two and I saw it was a jet. The moment it hit, I told my wife “the first plane wasn’t an accident, we’re under attack.” I immediately started to feel concern for my Clan mates, and family I had in NYC. I immediately called work to see what to do and was told to come in. I was doing network set up and support and was a little upset they expected me to come in while this was still happening.

Back then we used MS Instant Messenger outside of our voice comms to stay in contact with our clan members, I still hadn’t heard from any of them by 2pm CST.  While at work another plane hit the Pentagon and I had 2 more friends who worked in the building. I received 1 call my whole shift and sadly it was from a company based in Tower One. They needed all new networking equipment and laptops and as I talked with the Lady we both comforted one another and there were tears. My heart ached, and I felt absolutely powerless. 

xTk Stryker, and xTk Stryder we lost you today 20 years ago, but you will never be forgotten.  To all of you who had lost someone, my thoughts and prayers are with you today. We will never forget.

• Like 3