What mage should I play?

Siedun

I'm starting playing with a friend who will main a spoiler. We'll box a SE and I will be a mage. The problem is I don't know what mage to pick - sps, sh or sorc? Can somebody help me with the main differences between those? Which one is best for pvp?

I've checked that and I have played sps and sh (a very long time ago) but I'm looking for genuine advice. For example, It's a bit hard to determine how much downtime I will have with the sps with l2wiki. So linking it is not that helpful...

I'd go with SH or Necro for Vampiric Claw for hp drain and Death Spike/CDL/BtM for mana efficient farming, but cursed bones can be expensive. For late game with full buffs, SPS has an insane magic crit rate and casting speed, so it's very good in mass pvp, but it's impossible to keep up with the mana wihle farming without rechargers and high level clarity. Sorcerer is better for aoe as it has been already said, but if you play as a small group (so you don't have stuff like trying to get as many heroes in your party/clan as possible, or you're not counting on damage type diversity for elemental stones in advance) it doesn't have the farming advantage of Necro/SH or the late game potential of SPS.

I agree with what  nbx is saying

I played both SH and SPS back in the day,

SH is all about that raw power it was very enjoyable in pve solo with box or small party and very capable in pvp 1v1 or 1v2, IMO was about the same as the SPS in those situations.  

SPS has weaker spell power with higher crit chance tho I still found it takes more nukes to kill in pve which will make it more expensive in shots and mana, Later on this difference became rather negligible when element for weapon damage became available and mana herbs were dropping.  Its very good in pvp, the skill cancellation was kinda OP back then, basically what made them good imo, use that skill once or twice and everyone dies in 2 or less very fast regular nukes.  Also the SPS skill animation does not give away your position making you a little harder to find in group/mass pvp.  I had a lot more fun at sieges with SPS.

That being based on my memories when I was 3rd class on those character,  Early on I would relate the pve difference is like I was saying, however since the SPS gets cancellation at lvl 48, those early levels the SPS would be better at pvp.

Archived