Trying game again after many years

Pudding

First thing:  I'm used to games with limited skill points to use and where it's impossible to learn every skill.
Is that the case here and I should try to learn only what I need for my specific build or can I eventually learn everything?  
I'm merely a human wizard at the time of posting this and I plan to take the summoner route.

Second thing:  I found this https://l2wiki.com/Main_Page which has leveling guides, just need some confirmation on if they're up to date or not.

Third thing:  So me being a low leveled character running around a game which allows ganking I'm just curious what I should do if I find myself under attack from a higher leveled or geared player I can't reasonably defend myself against.
I'm not used to open pvp games so I have rarely dealt with this kind of problem and honestly don't know what would be the appropriate thing to do.

from 1 to 85 there are lots of useless skills that you would never use. you won't have enough sp to learn them all, only when you're closer to 85. after that you will have np learning all.

you should read how pvp system works in the game help. it has a flagging system. you can't just go and freely killing everyone without consequences unless you're in a clan war.

I'm not sure when you stopped playing L2, but skills cost less to learn SP wise than they did in the past. You will also accrue SP at a faster rate once you really start xping. I forget at which level is the tipping point, but eventually you'll reach the point where you'll have plenty of SP to learn all of your skills. Not that you need to learn all of your skills. (For example, if you're a low level mage, do you really need to learn Sleep? Not really.)

In a PVP game, there will always be bullies. If you run into someone with higher levels and equipment, you have three choices:

1. Die fighting (hit them and "flag" back on them, so that your name becomes purple, thus announcing to all that you're a willing combatant).

2. Do nothing and let them kill you. Heck, take off your armor and buffs and make it easy for them. You probably don't have any kills on your record, so when they kill you, they'll go red and more than likely run away so that they aren't in turn killed by someone else. At low levels, it's probably more of a headache to them to purge the red than it is for you to die.

3. BSOE. Run. Get the hell out of Dodge. And go XP somewhere else.

Either way, make sure you jot their name down. Everyone rages against level caps, but it's nice to be able to catch up to them and have your comeuppance. Speaking from experience. (Not that you have to wait that long. There are lots of creative ways to get revenge in this game.)

Thank you for the information!
I'm testing a dwarf scavenger as well and they seem a bit easier in terms of soloing so far compared to magic users.

And, uh...how come I can't chat until level 75?  
I wanted to compliment someone's character name and I got that message....
I can see that gold spamming can be an issue at times, but dang, unsure how to communicate til that level.

4 hours ago, Pudding said:

Thank you for the information!
I'm testing a dwarf scavenger as well and they seem a bit easier in terms of soloing so far compared to magic users.

And, uh...how come I can't chat until level 75?  
I wanted to compliment someone's character name and I got that message....
I can see that gold spamming can be an issue at times, but dang, unsure how to communicate til that level.

The chat and shout permissions were changed to combat the constant adena sellers, who would shout around the clock, or pm players, or send random emails advertising their anti- EULA services. Believe me, it was extremely annoying.

If you want to talk to someone, you have to first add them as a friend. The /addfriend (player name) commandstill works. You can then PM them, but you still won't be able to shout until you're higher level. Not that 75 is all that high. :) 

By the way, if you're leveling a lowbie, make sure you find yourself a mentor. Once you Awaken a mentored character you'll receive a certificate which you can exchange through the Mentor Guide into diplomas that you can be used to get Immortal armor and accessories, shots, a Requiem weapon, etc. It may not be top grade equipment, but depending on your class, you should be able to use it to level just fine until you have enough adena to afford Twilight/Apocalypse items.

I'm levelling pretty quickly so I'm assuming I can get to 75 pretty quickly.

I was just about to ask 'how to make adena for spirit ore as a warlock' but I just checked and...oh.
I guess that last quest gave me a nice beginning adena boost. O.o

I like how beginner friendly this is so far.

And can I still get a mentor at level 41?

Yes, you can still get a mentor at that level. If you can't talk to anyone, just start a buy or sell shop and put in the title "NEED MENTOR."  Or you can go to the Party window and make a group request there that reads the same thing. You have to be online, though, to receive their friend and mentor requests, so make sure you do that before you go AFK for the day.

If you're lucky, your mentor will give you Stage 1 - 3 Fortune pockets. Pop a few of those and you'll level really quickly (but you'll still need to hunt for SP or get your hands on SP scrolls.) 

Yay, I've got a mentor, but I noticed something...I'm not seeing a whole lot of English speakers in the server I chose.
Should I have chosen Chronos instead of Naia (which I'm aware will merge with Freya soon)?

I think someone tried to get me into a pk fight today (their name was purple and they kept smacking me) and I hadn't read up on the flag system yet so I just kinda stood there, unsure if I should defend myself or not.

After they saw I wasn't going to fight back they eventually left, so I didn't die, but I think I could have defended myself decently so I'm unsure if I did the right thing.

https://l2wiki.com/PvP

^ Based on that wiki I assume I would have turned purple if I'm correctly understanding this.
I guess white is innocent, purple is not innocent but not worth karma yet and red is worth karma?

EDIT:  Also, as a summoner should I use defensive orientation?
I'm told it's easier but risks getting flagged as a willing participant in pvp, which I'm still a bit confused on to be honest.

EDIT 2:  Or not, I think I'm bugged and can't switch from passive to defensive...

Archived