Steam deck

• 3 weeks later...

On 6/2/2023 at 1:18 AM, Stn said:

sell your deck and buy the asus one, is on windows platform:D

does Asus Ally work nice? how many toon it can carry?

On 6/23/2023 at 3:02 PM, Combatmuggins said:

I play on live and have 3 accounts running on the deck , win 10 install no problem's ,it runs better the pc I have .

Can you give me a clip about Steam Deck can play L2? ANd I m curious how long it can run? 24/7?

hi , tinyorc , after i got the steamdeck i downloaded a game from my library to check it out played for about 3 hours then i installed windows to play l2 on it that was 8 mths ago , the steamdeck is on for 6 days a week  its powered off tuesday around 10:30 till wednesday at 6:30 evening  time it is never unpluged from the power outlet no problems at all , runs very good . i noticed it does not matter if you use it as is or for what i am using it for it bangs out a fair amount of heat , that is why i have it sitting on a laptop cooler  . if you can do a clean installation of windows on a pc you can do it on the deck there are 3-4 files you need to install once windows is on the deck . i am not sure a long of a post you can put on the forums but i will post how to get windows running 

• Like 1

i installed windows on the internal hd running it from a micro sd reduces performance but you are going to need one for the windows install .

use windows 10 , 11 has extra security features that might cause problems .

downloads you need .

windows media creation tool from microsoft website , rufus , steamdeck windows resources from steam website , 

run the creation tool this will make an iso image for you and save it to the desktop , then run rufus to make the iso bootable just remember to select windows to go in the options in rufus and save to the micro sd card , this is all done on a pc , once done insert the card into the steamdeck , hold down the volume  button while turning on the steamdeck it will bring up a boot menu select the sc card and windows will install , when windows boots up for the first time it will be in portrait mode but the touchscreen works so go into settings and set it to landscape , install the files you got from steam website and remember to right click the audio files and install from the dropdown menu they are not a normal install file , windows should be installed on your deck . it is basic info on how to do it but if you know your way on installing windows and programs it should be no problem i hope it helps yourself and others .

• Like 1

when windows is on the steamdeck you move the pointer with your finger on the touchscreen right shoulder trigger and left are your right and left mouse buttons , same when playing lineage 2 and so to pan the camera you would hold down the left trigger and use it right touchpad to pan the camera there is no way i could zoom in and out  , i have the graphic options set low but it looks good maybe because the screen rez is low compared to a monitor , you are going to have to get a few microsoft updates for windows before you can install the lineage 2 launcher  i think as far as dot net 4.0 thats all i can think of for now and my fingers are getting tired 🥱

• Like 1

is it worth investing 400$ on a steam deck  or more, ( ROG Ally) just for L2? I literally use old refurbished pc's that cost 80$, all you need is at least a 2nd gen i5, an SSD and 8 GB ram for the game.

6 hours ago, Connex said:

is it worth investing 400$ on a steam deck  or more, ( ROG Ally) just for L2? I literally use old refurbished pc's that cost 80$, all you need is at least a 2nd gen i5, an SSD and 8 GB ram for the game.

At the start of classic I was using small form factor HP/compaq business machines I bought off ebay. All of them were i5s with one 2500 sandy bridge and the rest 3470 and 3470s models with 4gb ram and integrated graphics. A couple of them had HDDs that were dying but it was good enough for one client (anything above 3 clients was painful). Giving them 8GB ram allowed for 5 clients to run "decently" with optimization.  When I slapped some HD7570 1GB gddr5 cards that I bought for $9 each (ebay) it made 5 clients without optimization possible.

I upgraded one of the i5-3470 systems to an i7-3770 with 16gb ram a gt1030 2gb gddr5 card and a $21 new SP 512GB SSD (on amazon). That machine runs 10 clients without optimization pretty well although the orc event does get laggy. I wouldn't recommend a gt1030 these days unless you can get one for super cheap and make sure it's not a ddr3 model as they are significantly slower. I only bought the gt1030 because it was 2019 and SFF had mostly expensive options. A rx6400 is VASTLY better and not much more expensive than a gt1030 new.  I recently assembled an i7 3770 SFF system for my sister's young kids and the rx6400 in it gives almost 2x the FPS of the gt1030.

I still have one of the i5-3470 machines running with 16gb ram and another Silicon Power 512gb ssd with a hd7570 still. It runs 9 clients pretty well but it's clear the GPU is limiting it and the CPU aint happy with that much load (4 cores but only 4 threads). So optimization is the name of the game for some of the clients. The 8 threads of an i7 would help but a better GPU would help more.

I recently assembled a machine to replace my old fx6300 system (mobo issue). Bought a dell optiplex 7010  motherboard (773VG) off ebay for $16.32 shipped and a xeon e3-1230 SR00H for $12.71 shipped. Tossed that into the case of the fx6300 system and hooked everything up.  It has a generic HP 8gb ddr3 (1600) stick and two ripjaws 4gb (1333) in it and it's running the ripjaws in dual channel fine while still using that single 8gb stick. It's kind of amazing but OEMs do mix memory stick sizes and such (6gb setups etc). Ran it 24 hours with prime 95 and it's been running a week straight with 10 clients no errors. It does get mad that there's no front panel connector, no case temp sensor or back case fan hooked up but F1 gets past that at boot up (I have plans to fix this for cheap). In benchmarks the i7-3770 CPU is about 3% faster simply because the i7 clocks  about 300mhz higher. I'm planning to buy another xeon for my i5-3470 system since they are WAY cheaper than an i7-3770.

So while I might not of directly answered your question I think I at least provided something of value with my examples.  Some could be cheaper alternatives unless you need the steamdeck or ROG ally for something else.