Is the game worth coming back to Live or Classic

sas200

Hello L2 community.  Let me start by saying I started playing L2 interlude back in 2004.  I quit playing after discovering the horrible grind.  Then I came back and played the 2nd Chronicle when they introduced Alligator Isle. I got up to level 55 and just couldn't keep up with the grind and inflated prices of everything.

Then I played on illegal servers for a while, but got bored of them as I quickly realized they were unstable and pay-to-win.

L2 went free a couple years ago I guess, and I started again in 2016, but once I awakened I just quit, because it was back to grind-fest.

After reading the forums it seems that in order to truly compete people are paying real world money in the thousands?  Is this true?

I don't want to play if it's pay-to-win, I don't mind buying NCcoin here and there for XP/SP/Drop bonus.  I just got my Yul awakened and at level 85 again, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time or if I should play. 

So I'm looking for some straight up honesty guys.  If I want to avoid pay-to-win, should I play classic or live, (or does it matter).  I do not like the grind but will stick it out if I can compete.  If I have to drop thousands of dollars to compete, then it's a deal breaker.

I would appreciate some thoughtful advice and information from the players.  Thank you in advance.

I gotta be honest with you: You can't avoid pay to win playing Live or Classic here.

On live, we are talking about tens of thousands of dollars to start having some fun ( assuming you can level up to level 105~ which is the new "normal level" of the server).
On Classic we are talking about couple hundreds every month( 1 month worth of EXP runes cost 11k ncoins = almost 150 dollars).

The Classic server will allow you to at least not feel that much behind without spending that much. You could still put some good exp with only a 50% rune ( 30 days one costs 3k ncoins). But in the end, you'll need to spend a little bit more to be relevant( Are you DD? Hello overenchanted weapon!)

Last but not least: You need to play with other people. Both versions asks of you to be paired with other players to be able to play. On live you only need 1 char to buff yourself(Iss enchanter) while on Classic you need a whole lotta of them.

As for Live servers, the game is pretty much free to play till around lvl 100, so try it out, have some fun, meet some people and see if you like it - lvling up is now pretty quick till 100. Though, I suggest you focus on finding ways to obtain adena instead of rushing to level 100.

After lvl 100 you'll need good gear to be able to play - if you do not invest money you will get one shot everywhere you go and make little or close to no damage. You will be kicked out of most party matching rooms, unless you create a support class as your dual class... then you might get away with not-so-great gear for a little longer.

As for Classic, I read on forums it is infested with bots to a point where you can't even find a 'free' mob to kill and the grind is hardcore, so from your introduction I do not think it's a good option for you.

Good luck!

5 hours ago, sas200 said:

After reading the forums it seems that in order to truly compete people are paying real world money in the thousands?  Is this true?

I don't want to play if it's pay-to-win, I don't mind buying NCcoin here and there for XP/SP/Drop bonus.  I just got my Yul awakened and at level 85 again, but I'm wondering if I'm wasting my time or if I should play.

Speaking about live servers
Yes, its true...some ppl pay a lot of money, most ppl just 50-100$ from time to time.
You are not a coming back player after 1 year of pause therefore you need a lot of items...to play in high lvl area you need something like 100 bil adena equip(its just for entry-mid lvl stuff) Worth or not you decide.

Classic.....here you dont belong, its all about very hard grinding 24/7 without macro loop.

Everything depends on your goals and from this point of view classic is undoubtedly better.
In the two live servers there is no way to avoid paying to play after level 100. At innova they all tried but at least there they are honest.

At that time even fragola tried. Simply as soon as you get to level 100 it becomes more important to click on the l2 store icon than to play.

The problem stems from the fact that if you do not spend at least 7,500 - 10,000 US dollars to buy certain pieces of equipment

[armor + 6/8-weapon apo + 12- jewelry lvl 3 / 4- circlet, cloak] you are not even considered by other players to do some daily quests,

let alone play in the 105+ areas. Simply put without that gear no one will want you in a 7 ppl party

You will be always kicked out of parties ending up quitting in a matter of days.

The speech becomes different in classic
In classic it is not a matter of money to spend but of time played
You can try to spend a million dollars but your character will always be less powerful than those who can afford to play 10-16 hours a day.

In my opinion there is a mistake in here. You don't have to be the n. 1 to have fun on a lineage server 2.
The speech is always the same. This is a game where the costant party and the clan count.

L2store has transformed it into a game where, in some sectors, only the single counts, only to discover in the siege and exping that

at the end of the day only constant parties and clans count

In my opinion you should play classic
There is a whole other environment. Players help each other
On live the first passer tries to pk you
In short
live servers -> toxicity
classic servers -> you can have fun without spending so much real money

Edited by BmD