Security Update WHEN?

Hank

Be careful what you wish for. XIGNCODE3 has no effect on bots (ways to circumvent it can be easily found on the internet) but it will slow down your computer. There is only one effective measure against bots: a substantial account creation fee of 200 dollars or so.

4 hours ago, Hank said:

Any information?

Will be soon that security update???

Are you so eager to play in a bad environment?Do you miss lag and disconects?
Bot is use to enter dragons due to fast click and to pvp.I have no problem with so call bots...truth is only few noob players do bot on field pve and since many of us dont pvp...simply put, we dont care...

You should care.

1. As a quick Google search will show you, client-side anti-bot systems inevitably get cracked in a matter of days. They do not block VPN connections, 3rd party software and other scripts.

2. NCsoft does have a server-side anti-bot system. But this system only identifies bots (by analysing patterns in the log file); it then requires human personnel to verify the machine analysis and actually ban the culprit. Hiring human staff is too expensive for a little mom-and-pop company like NCsoft, not to mention that NCsoft is trying to avoid banning players at all cost, hoping to keep them hooked for another day, spending another 100 dollars on the next event.

3. An account creation fee of 200 or 300 dollars (whatever an Xbox costs) would solve the bot problem and at the same time keep out afk-macroing freeloaders who just take up space in the hunting grounds and spam the forum with complaints about the pay-to-win principle. People who can't afford 300 dollars to create an account also won't spend noticeable amounts of money in the L2Store. You don't want poor people as customers. But an account creation fee will burst the "free-to-play" pretense, the only argument NCWest has to snatch players from Innova. So this won't happen.

Long story short, bots will not be eliminated. If bots bother you, you should not play MMOs but board games instead. In a chess café you see your opponent physically sitting in front of you. In such an environment it is technically impossible to use 3rd party software. Cheat programs only work in the anonymity of the internet.

3 hours ago, Yidao said:

You should care.

1. As a quick Google search will show you, client-side anti-bot systems inevitably get cracked in a matter of days. They do not block VPN connections, 3rd party software and other scripts.

2. NCsoft does have a server-side anti-bot system. But this system only identifies bots (by analysing patterns in the log file); it then requires human personnel to verify the machine analysis and actually ban the culprit. Hiring human staff is too expensive for a little mom-and-pop company like NCsoft, not to mention that NCsoft is trying to avoid banning players at all cost, hoping to keep them hooked for another day, spending another 100 dollars on the next event.

3. An account creation fee of 200 or 300 dollars (whatever an Xbox costs) would solve the bot problem and at the same time keep out afk-macroing freeloaders who just take up space in the hunting grounds and spam the forum with complaints about the pay-to-win principle. People who can't afford 300 dollars to create an account also won't spend noticeable amounts of money in the L2Store. You don't want poor people as customers. But an account creation fee will burst the "free-to-play" pretense, the only argument NCWest has to snatch players from Innova. So this won't happen.

Long story short, bots will not be eliminated. If bots bother you, you should not play MMOs but board games instead. In a chess café you see your opponent physically sitting in front of you. In such an environment it is technically impossible to use 3rd party software. Cheat programs only work in the anonymity of the internet.

agree with you

1. As i said i don't care will be xigncode. Need to work, we need something what will block that things (VPN connection, 3rdsoftware etc.)

2. Actually i don't care about usual bots which exping 1-85, spoiling etc. I care about fair play fair fight. I can't fight vs scripts... Which react much faster better then human can, take expamples rbs. Who can click on the map every mili second? And when is alive to log also in mili second? Noone who is legit even with macro mouse :) or whatever. They using something like adrenaline. If is that legit and they can't be punished i will start using also. Because i see noone of them  was even 1 day punished. SO what we talk here, about some game rules which doesn't exist.

3. So fee of 200 or 300 $ will not help me to won CHEATERs (bots).

Game servers will be down for maintenance beginning Wednesday, September 12, 2018 at 5am PDT / 7am CDT / 8am EDT / 1200 GMT and ending at approximately 8:00am PDT / 10:00am CDT / 11:00am EDT / 1500 GMT. Estimated downtime is 3 hours.

With this maintenance:

• Standard database maintenance and application restarts will be performed.
  • XIGNCODE3 will be implemented in a monitoring period for testing.

On 9/10/2018 at 10:24 PM, Yidao said:

2. NCsoft does have a server-side anti-bot system. But this system only identifies bots (by analysing patterns in the log file); it then requires human personnel to verify the machine analysis and actually ban the culprit.

This has always been the problem. NCwest L2 division has either A. Not cared enough to ban bot revenue or B. No manpower to actually police the flagged accounts. There have been mass bans when they finally set an intern to parse the logs for a few weeks. But outside of that only the obvious and the mass reported ever got hammered. With NC selectively turning a blind eye to the bigger spenders.

IGN isn't much better than gameguard ever was. A pseudo-rootkit that merely records and reports certain processes and behaviors. It too will be worked around. 

Archived