C1 2004 vs Classic 2018

drizz

Recently I had the pleasure of playing a C1 Harbringers of War private server with retail x1 rates. This is the version of the client and server that was first released in 2004.

The first quest you do is for a map, that’s it. Fighters don’t start with skills and you can’t learn them until level 5. A majority of the skills require a spell book and you must visit a trainer in town to learn them. Also, the skill point system is worse than classic - I struggled to level multiple skills (especially as a mage). The only teleport on Talking Island is for Gludin, so you’re literally running everywhere and can’t afford scroll of escapes. Once you reach about level 10 there’s a quest to get a free weapon, but it’s pretty time consuming and difficult since you’re still rocking an 800 adena weapon. It took me at least an hour to do the quest and required 2 people because the Elven Ruins was too difficult to solo.

After 2-3 days of straight grinding on lower level mobs I hit level 15+ and had around 150k adena. I also had not used a single soul shot yet, because you don’t get them for free and it’s not viable to use them when you need to save for gear. There’s also no quests that will give you a large amount of experience so everything comes through grinding.

Starting on the 2018 version of classic is light years easier than what it was originally (it’s a joke in comparison). So to all those complaining about the grind, how you only got 3 levels from turning in a quest, how you don’t have enough soul shots, or the fact that your xp bonus is only 50% —it could be a whole lot worse. The beauty of Lineage 2 is the slow pace, how you’d spend hours grinding School of Dark Arts as if you were a high level in DVC, and that feeling you get when you afford your first d grade weapon at level 30 (hint: it’s a Sabre). 

I do agree the adena drop is way off because you level so quick with the quests, but the free gear and shots you get kind of make up for that. I’m sure adena is much better when you grind it out at level 20+.

Cheers!

Great post. As someone who played Skelth and other classic servers in addition to playiyt live servers since c1 (Still have my old box set with the CDs lol) the exp/Adena here does seem  like it was reduced in comparison, however, when your rocking 50-150% boosts to your exp, and no boost to Adena you are basically saying I care more about lvls then Adena anyway. From 1-24 with full boost constantly I made about 50k not including drops (that's merging my main and boxes Adena together). If I didn't have boosts that would of been around 100-150k, which isn't insane. People just forget how to play classic servers without perks because it's been so long.

Adena at lvl 30-33 mobs is the same as level 16-19 mobs. In some cases, probably bugged, we get more adena at the lower level mobs...

No matter how much it's being sugar coated, back in c1-c2 times (which i know are quite different than "Classic"), at least it was worth it to challenge tougher mobs/party spots.

My only problem is the adena too. I farm a lot, I’m lvl 23 and I have like 23k adena. I remember playing at the end of C2 when I was young, I had to farm 3-4 days non stop for a 700k weapon, but I did get it. And I farmed ants on Talking Island...

Here it wouldn’t be possible. Still not complaining though, but it’s a bit off.

I'm fine the xp grind, it doesn't bother me, the adena and other drops on other hand are quite a worry, while I know you shouldn't be swimming in them in the early levels, but even lv27-30 mobs give 20-40 adena with a fairly low drop chance, which isn't a whole lot more than lv12-15 mobs. It's not even worth worrying about being able to afford any kind of gear upgrade as it is now, it's even a struggle to support your char with basic stuff.

The quest weapon can be start at .... level 2 !

Other then that, I don't want that C1. This Classic is good enough for me.

About adena, they will fix it. Problem is when. This weekend or when maintenance is done? :)

Archived