Can someone explain to me about Warlocks and what they do in parties? And about their cubics?

MeltedWater

I chose to put it here instead of in the class discussion section because I'm hoping more people will see it, also I think it's more of a basic noob question.

I'm new to the game, it's just so hard to find out any information and seems like nobody willing to help. Hopefully somebody here will be able to answer...

Levelling to 40 is a long process and I don't want to pick a class I won't like when I get there. I heard Warlocks are good for healing because of infinite mana, but what about their cubics? I know nothing about them. One is melee and one is ranged, right? Which is which? What else do they do? How does controlling them work? I know you can't control them as much as a cat (which I which I could "control" more......) but can I control anything? Can I have them tank? How? Do they make good tanks? Just so many questions I have....

What role does a Warlock play in a party? What I'd like to do, is send out my cubics (maybe Kat too?) to help tank/DPS while staying back and healing. Is that what I should be doing, or am I way off base here?
Thanks for any help! I'm trying to decide if I even want to become a Warlock at 40 or not. Tell me what makes them shine! lol

Feline queen buff is on classic at 76lvl. 

As warlock you basically have a high DPS summon, and you hit mobs. For pvp, you also got a nuke which is quite powerfull. Cubics, warlock have the worst cubics from all summoners, one that roots, another that damages.

I'm mostly concerned with PvE and not so much PvP at least not for now.

I thought Warlocks had the best cubics? What is the point of them if not their cubics?

Can cubics tank? And if so, which one, and how do I do it? That's what I'd mainly like to know.

I was about to say "dude, what kind of l2java crap you've been playing before coming to the retail?" than i saw the first post. 

22 hours ago, MeltedWater said:

I chose to put it here instead of in the class discussion section because I'm hoping more people will see it, also I think it's more of a basic noob question.

I'm new to the game, it's just so hard to find out any information and seems like nobody willing to help. Hopefully somebody here will be able to answer...

Levelling to 40 is a long process and I don't want to pick a class I won't like when I get there. I heard Warlocks are good for healing because of infinite mana, but what about their cubics? I know nothing about them. One is melee and one is ranged, right? Which is which? What else do they do? How does controlling them work? I know you can't control them as much as a cat (which I which I could "control" more......) but can I control anything? Can I have them tank? How? Do they make good tanks? Just so many questions I have....

What role does a Warlock play in a party? What I'd like to do, is send out my cubics (maybe Kat too?) to help tank/DPS while staying back and healing. Is that what I should be doing, or am I way off base here?
Thanks for any help! I'm trying to decide if I even want to become a Warlock at 40 or not. Tell me what makes them shine! lol

"I heard Warlocks are good for healing because of infinite mana" : I wont be so sure about this. WLs can heal but they are not healers. They're damage dealers. Their main dmg comes from Summons AND their nuke (which is around 20% weaker than a real nuker skill).

"what about their cubics? I know nothing about them. One is melee and one is ranged, right? Which is which? What else do they do? How does controlling them work? :
 1e56aa3a87cba3575ee0b6a5ec6ca218.png
You will learn this 2 cubics once you hit lv 40. You summon them and when you target a mob or a flagged player, you have a chance to active them. You have nothing to do but summon them. The binding cube paralyze the enemy, making him unable to move. The other one lands damage with a magic. You can't control them, just summon. 'till level 44, you can only summon 1 cubic per time, after you learn "cubic mastery", you will have both of them out at the same time. 

Warlock role in the pt is the one of a damage dealer, nothing more, nothing less. You can help with heals, eventually, but that's not ur role. You need to cast nukes (Blaze, in ur case) and send ur cat to hit the opponent (you can control ur summon with a few command, by double-clicking their name-window). 

Summons get different stats and effects, for example the "Kat the Cat" can recharge your MPs. And the Feling queen (lv 77) has a buff that increases offensive stats of fighters (critical rate + critical dmg or accuracy + p.atk). Don't ask me any more details about stats of summons 'cause summoners are the class i played the less in 13 years. 

Summoners strong point, in the classic version, is that they're freaking annoying and strong. They will level up nukes (again, in ur case, Blaze) giving them a really high DPS-output as nukers while also empowering their summons (since they used to be their main dps output). Add to that a skill (transfert pain) that split the damage between Summoner and Summon and a few debuffs at lv 76..and here you get one of the most annoying class ever made. 

Cubics effects : 
Human : Paralyze + range magic
Dark elf : Stun + p.atk, p.def and atk spd debuff
Elfs : Heal master and pt members + DOT.

Best group for late-game : 
Human : Fighters pt. Lv 77 summon increases stats of fighters.
Dark elfs : No idea. Lv 77 summons are tank + DD, not meant to sustain pt with buffs.
Elfs : Mage pt. Lv 77 summon decrease cooldown for magic skills. 

So the only pet I ever have is just 1 cat at a time, depending on which one I want. At level 77 I get a buff that people like and that's about it. Sounds boring. Maybe I'll be Necromancer instead. At least I still have decent mana sustain as Necro, I'm guessing?

6 hours ago, MeltedWater said:

So the only pet I ever have is just 1 cat at a time, depending on which one I want. At level 77 I get a buff that people like and that's about it. Sounds boring. Maybe I'll be Necromancer instead. At least I still have decent mana sustain as Necro, I'm guessing?

Depends, WL has many strengths if you play it correctly (getting used to skills and summons). It's decent dps too, the summon basically tanks for you and you oversee his wellbeing. And as others told you, at 76 you get the feline queen, which is awesome for any non-mage group.

In pvp it's also good vs mages with the nasty debuffs and hard to kill summon, transfer pain and so on.

7 hours ago, MeltedWater said:

All toons who get summons can only summon 1 at a time (this is not Live server where you can use 2, and back in the days, up to 4) so yeah.

Necromancer is way...mhhh...expensive. Up 'till 44 you're basically like a WL but w/ undeads. After that you will learn Curse Gloom (quite a usefull debuff) and Death spike (main nuke) but it requires Cursed bones...so the hunting-price increases. The best thing about Necro is that a lv 50 they can learn (if you manage to find over 10kk) CDL which increase hunting speed insanely and also make it way cheaper (Curse death link > damage get stronger and stronger as ur HPs decreases). 
Mana sustain wise i guess that Summoner has the best one out of the 2 with cat's recharge. Even tho, after 50, Necros kill more mobs with CDL so he needs less MPs to kill mobs. 

"I heard Warlocks are good for healing because of infinite mana" 

I think thats refer to your pet that can recharge you while you healing your party. if that pet still have mana to recharge you 

Archived