Pro-tips Before Launch - Don't Trade important Gear

TrOLLw

Before this game kicks off, it occured to me by reading these forums a minority of you, need lessons in maybe not so much common sense but good sense.   This game does not suffer fools well.  While you're all veterans I have an inkling some of you are gonna fall for the same shit you did 15 years ago because its in your DNA.  For the new people they're gonna fall for this shit because every MMO starting after WoW has basically been a Day Care for Adult children the likes that fall for Nigerian email scams. This is like captain obvious stuff. 

What makes this game great is the open sand box, player driven content and dare I say conflict. 

Don't trade your important Gear.  NcSoft will not help you.  For months and months we're going to see these posts that NCsoft allowed this to happen.  No. You allowed it to happen.

The majority of people don't believe they should help you.  I don't believe they should help you. I have only once traded gear. Don't trade what you can't afford to lose. Why? cause there is no reason too.  You work hard for your gear in this game.  Soul bound items have ruined the feeling of games in order to protect the stupid and to limit player experience.

My Experience of this in L2 CH1 - I remember a player called Bishop who I ran Cruma and grouped with for 4 months.  He asked to see my Cestas, he begged and I finally let him use them.  He immediately logged off for an hour.  I cried, I raged I went through every emotion a 12 year old girl does when she realizes boys are jerks for the first time.  Thankfully, he logged back on, laughed and traded them back and said "never do that again".  I didn't.  A lot of you will learn this lesson the hard way and you're veterans. 

Do me a favour if this is you right now; bite down on the side of your desk and ask anyone in the house to kick you in the back of the head.

Pro-Tip - People can duplicate names in this game by interchanging i for L.  If you're dumb enough to trade your important gear, pay attention to this trick cause  Killswitch and Kiiiswitch can look identical in game.

Please share your experiences of trading equipment.

Some shared scams in this thread;

A friend of mine played outside Dion for a few days with two guys that were also supposed to NOT know each other. They built trust over a few days and one day the scam happened. The one guy asked the other if he could check out his gear. He did and returned it immediately after. Then he asked my friend for the same favour. Seeing that it wasn't a problem with the other guy who had more expensive gear he agreed to it. He had barely clicked OK in the trade window before the guys ran off towards the Dion: "WTS Brigadine +3 and Sword of Revolution".

As the OP states. DON'T trade your gear to someone you don't know where lives!

To add onto TrOLLw's response about the name thing. They will dupe a name of your friend/party member and ask if you can trade your weapon to some naked character that suddenly runs up to you to "check it's stats". If you trade it that character will run off to the gatekeeper and port away and the person with the duped name will block you. They got my friends weapon like this back in the day and she cried on TeamSpeak saying "help help they stole my weapon!". I had to buy her a new one and she never traded her weapons and armor again. 

Also  beware of Scammer Shop with Name like " I quit Game"  " free stuff fast" etc.... all this for only 1 adena but if you don't take a closer look you won't see that you are in fact selling YOUR STUFF for 1 adena and not buying .... so much cry back in 2004 for this kind of scam ....

Let me add that you should NEVER let anyone use your account.  I've heard some horrific stories from people who let someone else gain their trust and use their account.  The person then stripped all the characters in the account and left the owner high and dry.  NCWest will sometimes help in such cases, but I wouldn't count on it.  Better not to share accounts.

I would also like to point out that crafting in this game is essential and is an area where people scam as well. You NEED Dwarves to craft stuff for you. In the versions that i remember playing, they didn't have "craft" shops available, so you actually had to give a dwarf the mats to craft what you wanted.

ADVICE: If you do not know the dwarf (no matter how much you think you can trust them) do not trade crafting mats that you can't afford to lose. I stupidly did that back in the day trying to craft some top c grade dagger or something. Was a lot of my hard-work gone for someone else's profit

Also  beware of Scammer Shop with Name like " I quit Game"  " free stuff fast" etc.... all this for only 1 adena but if you don't take a closer look you won't see that you are in fact selling YOUR STUFF for 1 adena and not buying .... so much cry back in 2004 for this kind of scam ....

To add onto TrOLLw's response about the name thing. They will dupe a name of your friend/party member and ask if you can trade your weapon to some naked character that suddenly runs up to you to "check it's stats". If you trade it that character will run off to the gatekeeper and port away and the person with the duped name will block you. They got my friends weapon like this back in the day and she cried on TeamSpeak saying "help help they stole my weapon!". I had to buy her a new one and she never traded her weapons and armor again. 

14 minutes ago, Drakkon said:

What you didn't realize was that the person who "scammed" her was really just her dualbox account and she tricked your sorry ass into buying her a new weapon. 

Pro Tip #3: Dont trust women you meet in games.

A friend of mine played outside Dion for a few days with two guys that were also supposed to NOT know each other. They built trust over a few days and one day the scam happened. The one guy asked the other if he could check out his gear. He did and returned it immediately after. Then he asked my friend for the same favour. Seeing that it wasn't a problem with the other guy who had more expensive gear he agreed to it. He had barely clicked OK in the trade window before the guys ran off towards the Dion: "WTS Brigadine +3 and Sword of Revolution".

As the OP states. DON'T trade your gear to someone you don't know where lives!

I have to hand it to you, Troll, this was actually useful.  I've played the game for 15 years and never traded gear to anyone, but it's a good warning, especially for the newbies.

Let me add that you should NEVER let anyone use your account.  I've heard some horrific stories from people who let someone else gain their trust and use their account.  The person then stripped all the characters in the account and left the owner high and dry.  NCWest will sometimes help in such cases, but I wouldn't count on it.  Better not to share accounts.

Yes, these are people you meet on the internet.  I watched recording of the twitch feed from Friday, the picture of the recorder was a shirtless old man with long gray hear in what looked like a hovel.  You never know who you're playing with or what they're not wearing D:  It also looked like he was wearing a diaper.

I'm not sharing an account with anyone who wears a diaper.

I would also like to point out that crafting in this game is essential and is an area where people scam as well. You NEED Dwarves to craft stuff for you. In the versions that i remember playing, they didn't have "craft" shops available, so you actually had to give a dwarf the mats to craft what you wanted.

ADVICE: If you do not know the dwarf (no matter how much you think you can trust them) do not trade crafting mats that you can't afford to lose. I stupidly did that back in the day trying to craft some top c grade dagger or something. Was a lot of my hard-work gone for someone else's profit.

2 minutes ago, ArthiumX said:

ADVICE: If you do not know the dwarf (no matter how much you think you can trust them) do not trade crafting mats that you can't afford to lose. I stupidly did that back in the day trying to craft some top c grade dagger or something. Was a lot of my hard-work gone for someone else's profit.

They have "craft" shops available. But if you need, for example, to crystallize item, you need to give them a trade, so be care full in this case 

21 hours ago, NecroFillin said:

They have "craft" shops available. But if you need, for example, to crystallize item, you need to give them a trade, so be care full in this case 

I forgot about that...handing over your matts to a dwarf for the first time...waiting for him to hand that stuff back...terrifying.

Archived