The truth

1. You start the game, you see so many people, progress is nice, wow those yummy drops too. Dopamine kicks in. Everything is THE SAME as l2wiki. Rates, drops, spoils... You have that sweet feeling you used to have years ago... When l2 was actually the king of all games. You say why not support this? No p2w items in store... Just xp scrolls and soulshots. Rates are fine, everything is correct so lets pay for vip.

2. 35+ Something is not right ... Adena/drops/spoils seems to be decreased by 400-1500% depends on area ofc. You spend hours and hours to get parts for that helmet. But its ok... Its hardcore l2 anyway.

2. You are now officially an addict. You are 43+ and finally get this yammy 7million worth c grade weapon. Dopamine again kicks in. You cant go to sleep, just want start grinding and make trillions of adena in a second. Everyone in server knows that you got that weapon. Just a couple of ewc and you will be a godlike ninja butcher machine.

3. You realise now that with current rates, you spend most of your adena on ssc. Dopamine effects goes off.. What is this? Server out of materials? Oh wait ... I have to spoil... But mobs give 1-1 mat no matter level... And ssc costs alot ...

4. You realise that after a point (with current rates always) you cant solo anymore (too low adena to even try) unless you get silver coins from vip + buy ssc from store (dont worry they will add them very soon).

5. You have 3 options now:

a) Be Vip 4 and farm like a bot, ofc the amount of time you spent will mean nothing after the next ''drop/adena/spoil fix''

b) Stay all day afk and resell items (the opposite of actually PLAYING the game + boring as f$ck + - Only addicts + rmters will do that + most people dont even know single maths to do that) to generate adena, but expect a dead server within a year

c) Unistall again

And dont worry... We didnt even hit the wall yet

I give you the fourth option:

d) Just play the game and enjoy the nostalgia without worrying about trying to get top everything all the time.  

If you don't enjoy yourself, then don't play.  It's that simple.  It's a game for entertainment purposes.  If you aren't being entertained, why punish yourself?

2 minutes ago, jkmalisa said:

Lineage 2 is a pretty good game. It has so much potential to be a great game but i guess its creators have decided that it's not worth spending the necessary resources to make it great.

L2 was a balanced, deep game that had forethought. Even in prelude they knew where they wanted it to go, and by C1/C2, it was complete and tidy feeling. Cut to today, none of the original team exists, and any semblance of balance and deep understanding of the games meta is gone. There was such thought and time taken into crafting L2, the rules behind it, drop rates, everything. It was a well oiled machine.

1 minute ago, Sakumi said:

L2 was a balanced, deep game that had forethought. Even in prelude they knew where they wanted it to go, and by C1/C2, it was complete and tidy feeling. Cut to today, none of the original team exists, and any semblance of balance and deep understanding of the games meta is gone. There was such thought and time taken into crafting L2, the rules behind it, drop rates, everything. It was a well oiled machine.

I'm not a dev but is it not pretty straightforward to just launch the same thing as before on a new server? Obviously the new UI and other graphical additions are super cool but the core and principles of the game seem disrupted. Why not update the visuals and just relaunch the same thing? Wasn't this the idea in the first place?

4 minutes ago, jkmalisa said:

I'm not a dev but is it not pretty straightforward to just launch the same thing as before on a new server? Obviously the new UI and other graphical additions are super cool but the core and principles of the game seem disrupted. Why not update the visuals and just relaunch the same thing? Wasn't this the idea in the first place?

But that woulnd't bring in all the cash. You either go F2P and make people pay for boosts, soulshots or whatever, or you make a monthly payment like it way back in 2004. There was a reason they switched to F2P when GoD came out....

6 minutes ago, jkmalisa said:

The game engine, and servers, have evolved heavily from launch. Its not as simple as grabbing a c1 install for the server and letting the modern client connect to it.

However, they should still have the data archived, and a good dev team could take the drop-rate info and implement it to our version, absolutely. They clearly have no drive to do so, though.

Just now, Tinuphyl said:

But that woulnd't bring in all the cash. You either go F2P and make people pay for boosts, soulshots or whatever, or you make a monthly payment like it way back in 2004. There was a reason they switched to F2P when GoD came out....

Yes, because they had already let bots and adena sellers destroy the economy/game. A large portion of launch population was gone at that stage.

MMOs like this have a fundamental problem - you give players what they want, and they will quit.

Make everyone level 75, give them +16 weapons, they'll get bored of the limited end game content and quit.

Because of this there will always be a tension between developers and players - players always asking for more and developers trying to satisfy customers without giving away too much.

If the game is to last, I think it's ok that the grind is harder than it used to be. It will get easier.
The original servers did make it easier each chronicle.

The reason this happens is that you want new players to be able to catch up to long time players so your population isn't spread across the level range and there's enough population density within a level range that social stuff happens.

Not saying things are great as they are (I mean 1 spoil limit is just wrong), just trying to add some perspective.

The player base isn't asking for increased exp, level 76 and maxed out weapons.

The player base is asking for a fair playing field. That is all. Nerfing adena/drop rates well below original prelude/c1 goes goes against the game's intended design. It just makes RMT, botting, and even just abusing multiboxes that much more prevalent.

30 minutes ago, Sakumi said:

The player base isn't asking for increased exp, level 76 and maxed out weapons.

The player base is asking for a fair playing field. That is all. Nerfing adena/drop rates well below original prelude/c1 goes goes against the game's intended design. It just makes RMT, botting, and even just abusing multiboxes that much more prevalent.

I think they're mostly asking for a real classic experience, not necessarily what's fair. The exp rate, spoil, droprates can all be adjusted and the game still works. It's just a different dynamic. If the original game had 2X everything there would also be less RMT botting and multiboxes.

I think best would have been if they just had made it Subscription based without store and normal drop rates. ofc f2p can make more money for them. I would love to just restart completly on a Subscription server and screw all the shit is spend now on the l2store.

Archived