Which to choose: High Level Feoh or High Level DK???

Returning for a longer stay...

Decided to stick around to try to get to 120. I'm only 108, so lots of work ahead. But which class is best at the upper levels? Feoh? Death Knight? Other??? Any 110+ care to chime in here?

I'm leaning nuker, but with Red Libra other classes are an option. I want to XP fast and not die every time I log in. Thoughts?

By the way, my gear is mid-level, I guess. I can get my hands on a DW stage 1 or a +21 R110 Limited with +10 R110 Enchanted set from my friend who is CL, but the rest of my items are average. Will upgrade over time.

It doesn't cost as much to equip a Feoh, although both eventually need some common items like accessories, talismans, etc. If I had to do all over again, I might choose DK just because the resell value of main items is MUCH higher. For instance, you can't find a Stage 1 DW cutter for under 1 Trillion adena. That's right, I said 1 TRILLION. But you can easily get your hands on DW Stage 1 magic weapon for under half that price.  Even if it's not a retrib, those one-hand DW mage weapons still give you +30% Mage skill crits, which you can further increase with Mermodyn soul crystals. As a Feoh, it comes in handy. I crit so much more now and XP faster.

The downside to DK is you must have a cutter, which is why prices are high. They should have given them the option of using any one-hand weapon, including magic swords and staffs, but they didn't. DK are supposed to be elite of elite, so should be deadly even if all they had was a glass bottle in one hand. Aside from limited weapon choice, my clan mates that play DK love the class.

I suggest go DK and enjoy before NC nerfs them.

13 minutes ago, ShadowSerenade said:

It doesn't cost as much to equip a Feoh, although both eventually need some common items like accessories, talismans, etc. If I had to do all over again, I might choose DK just because the resell value of main items is MUCH higher. For instance, you can't find a Stage 1 DW cutter for under 1 Trillion adena. That's right, I said 1 TRILLION. But you can easily get your hands on DW Stage 1 magic weapon for under half that price.  Even if it's not a retrib, those one-hand DW mage weapons still give you +30% Mage skill crits, which you can further increase with Mermodyn soul crystals. As a Feoh, it comes in handy. I crit so much more now and XP faster.

The downside to DK is you must have a cutter, which is why prices are high. They should have given them the option of using any one-hand weapon, including magic swords and staffs, but they didn't. DK are supposed to be elite of elite, so should be deadly even if all they had was a glass bottle in one hand. Aside from limited weapon choice, my clan mates that play DK love the class.

It's not just about weapon with DK. Just switched to 108 DK. Managed to hold own in Innadril 105+ using only cheap Elysium weapon from Red Libra. Had an OOP buffbot. I doubt you can do that with Feoh. I might kill faster with a better weapon, but going to stick with cheap solution until I get enough adena to switch Blessed Exalted weapon to cutter.

Agree, DK is best.

On 8/28/2023 at 12:46 PM, ShadowSerenade said:

The downside to DK is you must have a cutter(One Hand Sword actually... any Buster with Fighter SAs will still work), which is why prices are high. They should have given them the option of using any one-hand weapon(Avenger/Caster will both work for Maestro...) including magic swords and staffs, but they didn't. DK are supposed to be elite of elite, so should be deadly even if all they had was a glass bottle in one hand. Aside from limited weapon choice, my clan mates that play DK love the class.

3 minutes ago, Teribeth said:

Back in the old days of L2 a character could substitute mage blunt and fighter blunt. And then they renamed them as staffs. Players have been screwed ever since.

You can use a mage buster with a DK, but there are still some skills that you won't be able to use. I know, I tried it. 😁  Probably get the same results if you use an Avenger or a Stormer for that matter. You can hit a mob with anything, but at a certain point, if you want to kill fast, you'll need all of your skills and you only get that if you use a sword. That won't change.

Maestro have the same limitation when it comes to one-hand blunt. Yes, they can use any fighter weapon, but they won't be able to use all of their skills. You'll see them grayed out on your bar. And your character will pause for a second if you put those skills on your macro. Instead of those skills firing off, your character will either stop or swing with a normal melee attack. No skill used.

21 hours ago, Get2ThePoint said:

Back in the old days of L2 a character could substitute mage blunt and fighter blunt. And then they renamed them as staffs. Players have been screwed ever since.

You can use a mage buster with a DK, but there are still some skills that you won't be able to use. I know, I tried it. 😁  Probably get the same results if you use an Avenger or a Stormer for that matter. You can hit a mob with anything, but at a certain point, if you want to kill fast, you'll need all of your skills and you only get that if you use a sword. That won't change.

Maestro have the same limitation when it comes to one-hand blunt. Yes, they can use any fighter weapon, but they won't be able to use all of their skills. You'll see them grayed out on your bar. And your character will pause for a second if you put those skills on your macro. Instead of those skills firing off, your character will either stop or swing with a normal melee attack. No skill used.

Any Tyrr can use any Weapon, other than Daggers & Bows(many Retributers like DW and Challenger/Exalted still have Fighter SAs) try equiping an eviscerator with a Retributer... you couldn't kill anything that might give you XP.

feoh is cheaper

dk needs lots of gear to be 100% effective, and the recent change with prestige hurts (IMO) dk the most. To replace the 20% reuse you lose with prestige you need +30 Defense Forgotten and Shilen 8+. Those are not cheap items

On 8/31/2023 at 12:38 PM, SammlerMull said:

Any Tyrr can use any Weapon, other than Daggers & Bows(many Retributers like DW and Challenger/Exalted still have Fighter SAs) try equiping an eviscerator with a Retributer... you couldn't kill anything that might give you XP.

Well, yeah, Tyrr are supposed to be weapon experts, but each type still has some skills that can only be used with specific weapons depending on their class. Like above post said, take Tyrr Maestro. They cannot use Power Hammer Crush with swords, staffs, or even dual blunt weapons. It can only be used with one hand blunt only. But most of the other common Tyrr skills can be used with almost any other weapon, except bows, daggers, etc., as you note. Just read the skill description if in doubt.

On 9/3/2023 at 6:57 PM, Swansong said:

Well, yeah, Tyrr are supposed to be weapon experts, but each type still has some skills that can only be used with specific weapons depending on their class. Like above post said, take Tyrr Maestro. They cannot use Power Hammer Crush with swords, staffs, or even dual blunt weapons. It can only be used with one hand blunt only. But most of the other common Tyrr skills can be used with almost any other weapon, except bows, daggers, etc., as you note. Just read the skill description if in doubt.

Tyrr Are "Weapon Masters" maybe try some Mage Weapons... you can still use _some_  skills, try using any weapon other than Dagger for Othel, Bow for Yull or Fists for Eviscerator, you won't be able to use any attack skills, you may be even restricted to use some self-buffs... as long as you can still kill effectively, go do that, save up and change to your OPTIMUM Weapon later.

Don't quote me, but I think you need the right weapon for each class for all of the overhit skills. A dorf maestro tyrr can kill with anything like poster said, but that one skill that only they get which is overhit does need a one hand blunt. Nothing else works. Overhits help you XP faster, so no point in playing around with anything else unless you have no other choice.

• Like 2