Chat things that should've been fixed

Haliax

As someone learning game development, one idea I think would be really sweet for multiplayer gaming would be inclusion of the Google Translate API. Basic idea is that the API would be included as part of the client package and work as follows:

1) Player A types up a message in their native language using their native language UI. In this case English.

2) Message is sent to the server, logged, and then sent off to intended recipients.

3) Player B receives message. Player B client is set to a different language. In this case let's say German. German client sees message is not in German and runs message through Google Translate API. Translated Message is then presented to Player B.

The support is in English. I don't want to see Greek or Russian in there either...

Greek people can write their language only with normal English letters cuz they all agreed that W/w is omega H/n is eta etc. I am not greek but I see that it works.

You miss one letter and cannot make it work? Make capital N or n~ or what ever. I am sure people will understand it anyway.

I am Danish and speak German as well. I can make both languages work despite missing æ, ø, å, ä, ö, ü, ß

2 hours ago, Medeoan said:

As someone learning game development, one idea I think would be really sweet for multiplayer gaming would be inclusion of the Google Translate API. Basic idea is that the API would be included as part of the client package and work as follows:

1) Player A types up a message in their native language using their native language UI. In this case English.

2) Message is sent to the server, logged, and then sent off to intended recipients.

3) Player B receives message. Player B client is set to a different language. In this case let's say German. German client sees message is not in German and runs message through Google Translate API. Translated Message is then presented to Player B.

Yeah, no, thanks.

Google translate might be good to run some content on the internet thourgh it and get the gist of it, but it's a terrible way to actually communicate.

What do you do with words that are shared by multiple languages? There would be all kinds of edge cases that would make this feature a pain in the ass.

What do you do when two people wants to chat in German - to go with your example - and one of them uses the English client? Do you force them to communicate through google translate? Or do you make this feature optional? In that case it makes the whole thing inconsistent and you just cause a lot of confusion.

What do you do with game related slang that google has no idea about? Especially if it's language specific.

How do you handle languages that don't have their own UI? Add even more inconcistency and confusion?

If you want to develop quality games, then focus on quality gamplay instead of trying to solve non-issues that nobody ever asked for, like auto-translating everything you say.

I would allow people to select a primary language and then list optional secondary languages they already know that wouldn't be translated. So the case of two Germans conversing in English wouldn't be an issue.

Given the current state of communication between people who do not share a common language, Google Translate is the ONLY viable option unless you can find someone who speaks both languages of the parties needing translation. The technical issues, such as shared words (often the shared word has the same meaning in different languages, but not always) is something I am sure Google will have been working on for a long time now. Something that can parse the context of the message and supply the correct translation would be needed. As to programming the context parser to recognize these situations, this is something that simply requires people to teach the software what to look for.

As it stand Google already offers their translations services in an official business setting. As such, if they feel confident enough to charge for using their API in mobile and web based applications, then I would suspect they have put enormous effort into addressing these very issues you bring up.

In the end we should not avoid do something simply because it is a challenge. If a tangible benefit and improvement to our lives and experiences can be obtained then we have an obligation and even a duty to go out and tackle those challenges. Better communication is one of those things that can only make things better for everyone.

Finally, do not take heed of your fears or else you will never move forward. You post good questions from a technical implementation standpoint, questions that should be asked if only so they can be addressed by actual efforts. However, your opening tells us all that you are posing these questions from fear of the challenge presented.

Off the top of my head. If it encounters something it can't translate, such the above acronym phrase, it shouldn't translate at all. So "WTB ASS" should go through as "WTB ASS". Although my own reaction to that phrase is a little different if you get what I mean. :P

26 minutes ago, Kabala said:

Whats the difference between Ñ & N ?

Serious question :)

The pronunciation, buddy, in spanish, N is pronounce as "ene" and Ñ is pronounce as "enie", many words have "Ñ" in our language, but this is not an issue for me as i never talk in my native language when playing L2.

8 minutes ago, forcis said:

The pronunciation, buddy, in spanish, N is pronounce as "ene" and Ñ is pronounce as "enie", many words have "Ñ" in our language, but this is not an issue for me as i never talk in my native language when playing L2.

Well then! Spanish people should know that "ene" in this server means "enie" :)

Problem solved ! :D

13 hours ago, Medeoan said:

Off the top of my head. If it encounters something it can't translate, such the above acronym phrase, it shouldn't translate at all. So "WTB ASS" should go through as "WTB ASS". Although my own reaction to that phrase is a little different if you get what I mean. :P

That's the problem. It can translate "ass".

13 hours ago, Medeoan said:

If you're married, you're already buying ass... you just don't realize it. lol.

On 11/10/2018 at 4:21 AM, Medeoan said:

i've seen it done on a mobile game called "invasion", for translating chinese to english, and it was quite the thing O.o pretty amazing that even that is possible nowadays xD

Anyways..  that topic aside. 
To the LAZY Latin Americans out there, u should learn at least BASIC ENG (stuff like "you, me,go, what, this, yes, no" etc )  its an international game xD not an unofficial  Latin-american private server, so i'd suggest you at least to try and play without complaining about it lol 

On a side note: i am also Latin , and i, unlike the ppl that complain about the langauge barrier, try xD.
If  I can do it, so can you! :D 

15 hours ago, InVizO said:

Can we also get Chinese characters? I want to tell those gold farmers to get lost  :D

You can copypaste text into macro creation text fields and use whatever characters you can find in Unicode. That's how people make the Cyrillic titles or world chat.

Archived