14th Anniversary Media Contest, final winners?

CAKE

So not so long ago our winner were published GZ to all, but lest give a quick look to what is goin' on there, lest fouse on the main prize, the Video contest.
The full list is here: Contest winners

With all of the respect to FlorLeFay from Chorons, which took the first place, her/his video is not following the main rules,
and here they're :

Video Design Requirements:
1) Entrants must submit an original video of Lineage II in-game footage or a machinima that tells a unique story.
2) The submission must be an original work of Entrant; submissions that violate another person’s intellectual property rights will be disqualified.
3) The video or machinima must not exceed five (5) minutes in length.
4) The submission must not contain any inappropriate language or imagery in accordance with the Lineage II User Agreement.

The full rules are here : Lineage II 14th Anniversary Media Contest Rules

The first rule says, Lineage II in-game footage, but on the video we see, a person doin' artwork, which is not following ANY of the contests rules.
As well, we saw in that there is 1 grand prize, and 5 (FIVE) runner up prizes, but if we will look at the video contest once again, we see ONLY 4 videos....

After a little search I done on Google, I found a "lost" video, why it was not running for the grand prize? As I see it follows all of the rules, why NCstuff ignored it?
Here the video is (Link)
So should we as players be worried that the winner of the grand prize IS NOT following the rules?
And why NCsoft ignored a competitor which had good chances to take the grand prize?

All these questions are a mystery for me, and I'm here to get answers.
I call NCwest to check ONCE again the whole contest, recheck if the works are following all of the rules, and to set new winners to the new contest!
As well I call other players to check the rules of the contest because the thing NCwest done here, is against the law!

Can we get answers to our questions? Is there justice? 

• L2 Team

We said in the original announcement that video creators could go with a more animation approach rather than strictly using game footage. Since FlorLeFay's video captures original Lineage II art with original music it was accepted.

Only four Runner-up Winners were chosen as, unfortunately, all other submissions we received didn't follow this requirement you quoted:

2) The submission must be an original work of Entrant; submissions that violate another person’s intellectual property rights will be disqualified.

This is further stated in "Conditions of Submission" on page 3 of the official rules:

Further, any Screenshot, Video, or Artwork that contains trademark, copyright-protected or other proprietary materials for which the Entrant has not obtained appropriate assignment of rights, as well as any Screenshot, Video, or Artwork that disparages or portrays the Sponsor in a negative light, will be void.

Where possible we were lenient in how we enforced the rules, as long as we could apply that leniency equally and fairly to all contestants. Unfortunately, when it comes to intellectual property we have to have strict enforcement. The video you linked is fantastic, as were a few others we received but couldn't select as winners due to the copyrighted music that was used. I'd love to even highlight some of them in the announcement post for others to see, but I can't.

27 minutes ago, Conguero said:

The video you linked is fantastic, as were a few others we received but couldn't select as winners due to the copyrighted music that was used. I'd love to even highlight some of them in the announcement post for others to see, but I can't.

You could answer on email "Hey, cool, but... May you remove/change music?"

Ok, you cannot accept "Friendship", but on 1st place there is Artwork, which is not "an original video of Lineage II in-game footage or a machinima that tells a unique story."

...NCwasted

1 hour ago, Conguero said:

Where possible we were lenient in how we enforced the rules, as long as we could apply that leniency equally and fairly to all contestants. Unfortunately, when it comes to intellectual property we have to have strict enforcement. The video you linked is fantastic, as were a few others we received but couldn't select as winners due to the copyrighted music that was used. I'd love to even highlight some of them in the announcement post for others to see, but I can't.

So it was easier to NCwest to ignore all the people who spent so much time, without even saying them a word.
First of all I think you should change the way you add people to contests, due to our dead community in whole NCsoft's Games, you should give people a chance to show themselves. A litter with accepting or a rejection such as :"Your project wasn't accepted because of : "this and that"  ", could be a good way to save your reputation as a company.
#NCwested
Another thing, all of these videos are following the "fair use" of YouTube, which means they're "OK" according to the law, and if they ain't, YouTube would have removed them before you'd notice. 

Further, any Screenshot, Video, or Artwork that contains trademark, copyright-protected or other proprietary materials for which the Entrant has not obtained appropriate assignment of rights, as well as any Screenshot, Video, or Artwork that disparages or portrays the Sponsor in a negative light, will be void.

As well you have missed something very important in that video, this video DOES contain advertising of a brand... 

At 02 minute 34 seconds on the video, (link to the video here), we can clearly see that "Faber-Castell" pen is being used there, and that is a trademark, so this video does contain a brand, a trademark.
I want you to notice that the trademark was facing the camera the whole process, who knows that might be an advertise video . Link to the screenshot from FlorLeFay's video

This is further stated in "Conditions of Submission" on page 3 of the official rules, and due to that part NCwest must check again the winners.

@Conguero

22 minutes ago, CAKE said:

So it was easier to NCwest to ignore all the people who spent so much time, without even saying them a word.
First of all I think you should change the way you add people to contests, due to our dead community in whole NCsoft's Games, you should give people a chance to show themselves. A litter with accepting or a rejection such as :"Your project wasn't accepted because of : "this and that"  ", could be a good way to save your reputation as a company.
#NCwested
Another thing, all of these videos are following the "fair use" of YouTube, which means they're "OK" according to the law, and if they ain't, YouTube would have removed them before you'd notice. 

If this had happened, it would not be the ncsoft I know

Ncsoft has never been known to have a frank dialogue with the players.

This should be rethought

2 hours ago, Conguero said:

The video you linked is fantastic, as were a few others we received but couldn't select as winners due to the copyrighted music that was used.

O.oO.oO.o

1 hour ago, CAKE said:

so true

#NCwasted #NaughtyNC

florlefay video was a crap if we all know it we will make it all like this ! at least dudot's videos and other's ppl video contein with other ppl aka cp clan members doing stuff killing bosses etc , and not a hand to draw a character of lineage. Corrupt NCWEST as always

I honestly cannot believe that Friendship video did not win and it's not on the list!!! Doesn't matter if the music is copyrighted, you can always turn it off or ask the creator to change it.

Except the first one(that do not cover the requirements daah)all the rest in the list you've posted  are complete big JOKE!!!

15 minutes ago, Vassy said:

I honestly cannot believe that Friendship video did not win and it's not on the list!!! Doesn't matter if the music is copyrighted, you can always turn it off or ask the creator to change it.

Except the first one(that do not cover the requirements daah)all the rest in the list you've posted  are complete big JOKE!!!

Well rules are rules and they're for all, people should get it, "Friend", and other videos were not accepted due to copyright issue, make sense.
Just another issue with the policy... sad but true... 

but ain't nobody actually answered on this part:

7 hours ago, CAKE said:

As well you have missed something very important in that video, this video DOES contain advertising of a brand... 

At 02 minute 34 seconds on the video, (link to the video here), we can clearly see that "Faber-Castell" pen is being used there, and that is a trademark, so this video does contain a brand, a trademark.
I want you to notice that the trademark was facing the camera the whole process, who knows that might be an advertise video . Link to the screenshot from FlorLeFay's video

This is further stated in "Conditions of Submission" on page 3 of the official rules, and due to that part NCwest must check again the winners.

@Conguero

Ain't it written in the policy? Well it does!
So as I said, rules are for all, and the winning video, IS NOT acceptable according to the rules.

1. Thank you all referee and participants. I'm glad that my screenshot was selected and has been placed with so different and creative screen-works. "Catshot" made me smile. ^^
2. Everyone who saw dUdot's video understand that is top work. 1st place (not even runner-up) looks like big mistake. I'm disappointed.

PS.
All video-makers knows how much time it takes. ( Even my screenshot preparation took more than 5 h and I don't count place-seeking time.)
#NCwasted ?

If the rules WERE in fact applied evenly to all entrants then there would be no issues with the winners, as the definition of "forge fantastic works of art that represent your best Lineage II experience" is relative to the judges (and I respect that). But as we can see below, it appears as if they weren't. 

Eligibility requirements:

"Eligibility: Except where prohibited by law, the Lineage II 14th Anniversary Media Contest (“Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States of America, the District of Columbia, and legal residents of all provinces and territories in Canada (excluding residents of Quebec) who are the age of majority or older (18 years of age in most jurisdictions) as of the date of entry"

One of the second place winners (Brazil is not one of 50 states, not District of Columbia and not Canada)

23iyzpw.png

Now....if the winner is in fact from one of the areas included in the rules as quoted above, then this doesn't apply...

" The submission must be an original work of Entrant; submissions that violate another person’s intellectual property rights will be disqualified."

I'm not taking away ANYTHING from any of the entrants...we all know how much time and effort goes into making these videos, and some of them are quite good...but if we're gonna apply rules to one entrant, then shouldn't we apply them to ALL entrants?

Regardless of what happened with the video contest, I also find the choice of winners in screenshot contest questionnable when i see the 4th and 5th runners-up.. (no offense, not saying there's no work behind) 

Participated my-self, just, in the screenshot contest. When I sent the mail to apply to the contest, I got a mail back telling me I didnt provide all the necessary informations (which I didnt indeed). So I just fixed it by replying the mail, with the said missing informations, and had no reply back telling me that indeed the screenshot was elligible for the contest, nor that i provided all they asked (regarding the missing informations). 

Few days after I sent that mail, as I didnt get answer, I sent a mail back asking if they had all they needed to be sure my entry in the screen contest was effectiv. Mail which stayed unanswered.

In the end, considering the 4th and 5th screens of runners-up, I just think they didn't even take the screen I sent into consideration. Without any kind of explication.

Will just not bother next time, waste of time.

1 hour ago, Supafly said:

If the rules WERE in fact applied evenly to all entrants then there would be no issues with the winners, as the definition of "forge fantastic works of art that represent your best Lineage II experience" is relative to the judges (and I respect that). But as we can see below, it appears as if they weren't. 

"Eligibility: Except where prohibited by law, the Lineage II 14th Anniversary Media Contest (“Contest”) is open only to legal residents of the 50 United States of America, the District of Columbia, and legal residents of all provinces and territories in Canada (excluding residents of Quebec) who are the age of majority or older (18 years of age in most jurisdictions) as of the date of entry"

One of the second place winners (Brazil is not one of 50 states, not District of Columbia and not Canada)

23iyzpw.png

Now....if the winner is in fact from one of the areas included in the rules as quoted above, then this doesn't apply...

" The submission must be an original work of Entrant; submissions that violate another person’s intellectual property rights will be disqualified."

I'm not taking away ANYTHING from any of the entrants...we all know how much time and effort goes into making these videos, and some of them are quite good...but if we're gonna apply rules to one entrant, then shouldn't we apply them to ALL entrants?

If you're implying, that only people from the US etc. were eligible to participate in the Media Contest, then your clannies, that are trying to get rid of all the saltiness wouldn't be eligible as well, therefore, what's the point of this thread again? 

p.s. The video is really good, but the winners/runner ups were chosen, so suck it up and move on. 

3 minutes ago, Alb said:

considering the 4th and 5th screens of runners-up

3 hours ago, MaxSlave said:

And the winner of the "video" is a drawing of an ugly elf female? congrats...

Guys please, we ain't here to say what looks good and what doesn't, lest stick to the main issue, the rules and the agreement.

1 hour ago, Supafly said:

So that's another rule which was okay to ignore? That's funny. 
So some rules are okay to be ignored and some ain't?

And what that means about the issue I spotted with the trademark?
Is it fine to advertise a commercial brand in the video? And using a "fair use" music is not allowed?
The more I dig into the issue the more questions I ask myself...

14 minutes ago, CAKE said:

Guys please, we ain't here to say what looks good and what doesn't, lest stick to the main issue, the rules and the agreement.

My point wasn't specially to judge the work of anyone. It was more about who was elligible for the entry contest, or not. This, is what I found actually questionnable. (others than the choice of winners, but this is a point of view, proper to each of us). As I said previously, I sent a screen but I dont even know if indeed it was elligible. Did anyone actually received a mail back when you submitted what you did, to tell you it was ok and you were in the contest?

32 minutes ago, Alb said:

Participated my-self, just, in the screenshot contest. When I sent the mail to apply to the contest, I got a mail back telling me I didnt provide all the necessary informations (which I didnt indeed). So I just fixed it by replying the mail, with the said missing informations, and had no reply back telling me that indeed the screenshot was elligible for the contest, nor that i provided all they asked (regarding the missing informations). 

Few days after I sent that mail, as I didnt get answer, I sent a mail back asking if they had all they needed to be sure my entry in the screen contest was effectiv. Mail which stayed unanswered.

15 hours ago, CAKE said:

16 hours ago, dUdot said:

You could answer on email "Hey, cool, but... May you remove/change music?"

Yes that is interesting as well,
Why does NCwest ignore us and do not  answer for these tickets?
Why ain't nobody says that the projects, we've worked on for so many hours, are not acceptable?
Why none said us that we were disqualified?

14 hours ago, LastZ said:

If this had happened, it would not be the ncsoft I know

Ncsoft has never been known to have a frank dialogue with the players.

This should be rethought

But as you see guys, our community, already know who we are dealin' with and that's sad to be honest...

Once again we see the support team on their negative side, the ignoring and the not caring one; so what they're being paid for, if not for that?

More and more questions are being asked by players, more and more misunderstanding are popping up, and it looks like our questions will stay unanswered 

14 hours ago, Alb said:

Regardless of what happened with the video contest, I also find the choice of winners in screenshot contest questionnable when i see the 4th and 5th runners-up.. (no offense, not saying there's no work behind) 

I do not know anything about your work and how hard you worked on it. But I can tell you what I did before sent my. I traveled all over the continent on a byke in search of a suitable place. For each option I wrote /loc and took a screenshot (half of this places are runner up) . Then, as it usually happens, I decided that all this does not suit me and started preparation in another place. 

The main idea was "Rest after heavy battles". I tried to invite more people through the world chat for a big party photo, but we have a passive server. So I wanted to make a screenshot more fun, adding my own "rock art". But if you think that drop adena over the moutain textures with a perspective was fun, then it wasn't. And, when I just did not like the distance between the letters, I again changed everything. Such kerning ... When I finished the work, making about 20 screenshots, I found a place even better than before, but the forces left me already. So, if you think that I am happy with my work by 100%, this is not true.
Can you think that I laid this "life story" in detail in the letter and sent out all of them 20 screenshots? I chose the one that least I did not like, and sent as is. Now show us what you've done. And, if I find it necessary, I'll share with you my pathetic 20 stones. 

ADD.

There is not all, but enough:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1vG-86vG4PH2VXaLTwoVVGnD4YACKi-SZ

23 hours ago, Alb said:

(no offense, not saying there's no work behind) 

22 hours ago, Alb said:

My point wasn't specially to judge the work of anyone. It was more about who was elligible for the entry contest, or not. This, is what I found actually questionnable. (others than the choice of winners, but this is a point of view, proper to each of us). As I said previously, I sent a screen but I dont even know if indeed it was elligible. Did anyone actually received a mail back when you submitted what you did, to tell you it was ok and you were in the contest?

9 hours ago, LordDragnil said:

I do not know anything about your work and how hard you worked on it. But I can tell you what I did before sent my. I traveled all over the continent on a byke in search of a suitable place. For each option I wrote /loc and took a screenshot (half of this places are runner up) . Then, as it usually happens, I decided that all this does not suit me and started preparation in another place. 

The main idea was "Rest after heavy battles". I tried to invite more people through the world chat for a big party photo, but we have a passive server. So I wanted to make a screenshot more fun, adding my own "rock art". But if you think that drop adena over the moutain textures with a perspective was fun, then it wasn't. And, when I just did not like the distance between the letters, I again changed everything. Such kerning ... When I finished the work, making about 20 screenshots, I found a place even better than before, but the forces left me already. So, if you think that I am happy with my work by 100%, this is not true.
Can you think that I laid this "life story" in detail in the letter and sent out all of them 20 screenshots? I chose the one that least I did not like, and sent as is. Now show us what you've done. And, if I find it necessary, I'll share with you my pathetic 20 stones. 

ADD.

There is not all, but enough:

https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=1vG-86vG4PH2VXaLTwoVVGnD4YACKi-SZ

Not here to debate about the work anyone provided, nor judge it. And again, not saying there's no work on it. So keep your salt for someone else, or your-self, it doesn't interest me. 9_9

As I said, and that's actually why I just quoted my self (and could quote @CAKE too), the question was about what work was "qualified" into to the entry of contest, and in case our work wasnt, why didnt we get any kind of reply/infos regarding it ? Guess it will remain unanswered too. 

On 6/2/2018 at 5:42 PM, Supafly said:

Totally agree. 

Either NC should change the rules which haven't been changed since 5 years, either all participant must follow this rules and NC have to make sure that those rules are followed. 

Me and few of my friends never participated media contest exactly because we are not residents of US. 

On my opinion, NC must revise the rules for contests entry and let the community vote for the winner.

Best simple way to solve this issue. Give all active accounts a +10 dark armor set of choice and +12 dark weapon of choice. Yay no more complaints ever! Problem solved all players happy and gms can go for a holiday while players fight it out in siege with their rewards :D

Archived